Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just joined the forum and will be surfing all the info here, looks great.

I want some opinions, so here goes..

I'm 43 and live in NJ (10 years). I'm a Brit and have a full UK motorcycle licence but haven't really rode or own a bike for years. In the UK I had a 125cc scooter to potter around on.

So this weekend I take the MSF course to get my US licence with a view to getting a bike.

I'm looking initially to have something that looks good, low seat height (i'm 5'6), easy to ride. Not planning on doing much highway driving or road trips.

I've done tons of research and have really come down to a 883 Iron or Ducati Scramble. Both have been described as somewhat beginners bikes and easy to ride.

My question is: Should I go for it and choose one of these, and if so, which one? I know both are very different but just looking for an opinion.

Or

Should I get a used smaller engine to get back into the swing of it first?

I'm a very cautious, sensible rider but don't want to spoke myself out of the gate. What has your experience been?

Thx

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
My concern would be that you go TOO small, and find yourself frustrated that you didn't buy bigger.

Why not move into the 500cc market at LEAST!? You say you won't do much highway or trips, but don't count that type of riding out. The Northern part of NJ has some beautiful country to explore!!

-Soupy

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
A good thing to research is the maintenance cost of each. Find out what they will cost for the first 20,000 miles or so to have serviced.

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina.

The 2 bikes you researched are cool bikes. But, they are not perfect first bikes. The Harley is heavy for a first bike with a fully fueled curb weight of 562 lbs. It also has limited suspension travel. That means if you go where the roads are rough you're going to get a rough ride. The Ducati only weighs 410 lbs fully fueled, but the seat height is 30 inches. That may be a stretch for you to get both feel flat on the ground when at a stop.

After the MSF go to some dealerships and sit on a lot of bikes both new and used to see what feels good. It's your money but I would not suggest buying new for your first bike. New riders ding and scuff up their bikes no matter how careful they think they are. So get a used learner bike and develop your skills. Then move up to that Harley or Ducati!

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

Taking the BRC is a great place to start. Then do as Oz says and go sit on lots of bikes. You may find that neither of those are comfy for you. Normally most folks find 1 or 2 that just feel right to them. That is really the best way to choose.

Good Luck!

·
American Legion Rider
21,231 Posts

I don't consider a Sportster a beginners bike but depending on just how much you rode in the past you may be okay. The thing I don't care for on those bikes though to make them a beginners is they are a little top heavy. You may find you're picking it up more than riding it.

I also think that's a rather large jump in size. Guess I'm a coward but I went with a mid range bike like a 4 or 500 before going big time. It can be done though if you are determined. I don't know anything of your other choice.

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
Maybe a 650 class sportbike would fit u...?
They can be found used in good shape quite cheap...
The weight isn't bad at around 450 pounds....
Maintenance isn't bad.....
Reliability is great.....
And they do great in city/town driving, and have more then enough to crank down a highway at 80......
Just a thought......
And.....Go sit on a bunch of bikes....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina.

The 2 bikes you researched are cool bikes. But, they are not perfect first bikes. The Harley is heavy for a first bike with a fully fueled curb weight of 562 lbs. It also has limited suspension travel. That means if you go where the roads are rough you're going to get a rough ride. The Ducati only weighs 410 lbs fully fueled, but the seat height is 30 inches. That may be a stretch for you to get both feel flat on the ground when at a stop.

After the MSF go to some dealerships and sit on a lot of bikes both new and used to see what feels good. It's your money but I would not suggest buying new for your first bike. New riders ding and scuff up their bikes no matter how careful they think they are. So get a used learner bike and develop your skills. Then move up to that Harley or Ducati!

Thx for your response. I've been sitting on a bunch of bikes and the Ducati actually feels very comfortable and fits great (flat feet with the lower seat). But I also know I would be devastated to drop a brand new bike like that and everyone suggests that you WILL drop it at some point (?).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Again, get a used bike. Why not pick up a used Rebel or Ninja and ride a couple years on a fun, easy bike? You'll buy it for next to nothing and sell it for what you bought it for and by starting small, will learn to ride better than with a big one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Glasgow rode a 100 all I could afford as a student.
Damn didn’t notice 2015, came up after positing on another thread. No doubt he chose a bike years ago, I wonder what.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts