Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s a 2008 Suzuki S50 Boulevard. 800CC. Cosmetically it’s in good shape. But it has been parked in garage and not started in 5 years or more. It wasn’t stored properly either. I am not sure if it will even run. It does have low miles around 5-6K. My question is what would you pay for it? Especially not hearing it run. Also what all would need done to get it running/road worthy? I only ask because it belongs to a relative and I think they are trying to rip me off price wise. Thanks in advance.

·
Visionary
5,302 Posts
let's see, your a new rider, you can't ride yet, your going to buy a bike that may not run from a relative who is trying to cheat you.
RUN AWAY!

Buy a working bike, that you can see test ridden, after you have your license.

It’s a 2008 Suzuki S50 Boulevard. 800CC. Cosmetically it’s in good shape. But it has been parked in garage and not started in 5 years or more. It wasn’t stored properly either. I am not sure if it will even run. It does have low miles around 5-6K. My question is what would you pay for it? Especially not hearing it run. Also what all would need done to get it running/road worthy? I only ask because it belongs to a relative and I think they are trying to rip me off price wise. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should have worded it better. I have my Motorcycle endorsement and have been riding for several months-just always borrowed my brothers bike. I’m very mechanically inclined as I am a certified diesel tech and work for John Deere. I’m just nit very experienced with small gas engines. I’m sure the carb needs rebuilt fuel filter etc, but I wasn’t sure if the tires and or tubes would need replaced. Didn’t know anything about the shaft drive system etc. I know it was parked with 1/2 tank gas and no treatment added...so does that mean the tank rusted or got gummed up? After sitting for five years would the motor seize up or would the rings seize to the cylinders? I know the steps I would take if it was a tractor or any other heavy diesel equipment just not sure with the bike. Also didn’t know what a good price to pay for it would be. Long story short they want $2500 for it and that seems really high to me even with the low miles. I was thinking around $1000 but didn’t know if that was too high or too low.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I bought my near-pristine, 13,000 mile C50 last October. It had been meticulously maintained, garaged, ridden regularly, and had brand-new Michelin tires. Saddlebags, a windshield, an air horn, a top-quality cover, and numerous other goodies included in the deal -- $2750.

You be the judge as to whether $2500 is too much. Personally, I wouldn't walk away from the bike -- but I wouldn't give but maybe $1200 for it, either.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
Stay Clear

Personally I tend to stay away from anything dealing with relatives other than visiting them. Especially anything where money might be involved. Usually something goes wrong. Either intentionally or not, one or both parties have different ideas. So I just stay away.

It's completely different if I'm giving something away or the relative is. Even then it's questionable. But when money is expected to change hands I stay clear. Guarantee I can find the exact same thing somewhere else and I'd bet you can too.

Think about this. If this relative cared so little about the bike to not take the time to store it properly, what else didn't he take the time to do correctly?

I'd just say thanks but no thanks and never look back. Then find a bike that you can at least hear running and go from there.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
If it's not running and needs work it's definitely not worth $2,500.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I'd pay no more than $1,000.

Before paying anything, hook up a battery and see if there's power to everything and if it'll turn over.

If it does turn over, you're in luck. I would then check the tank to make sure it isn't rusting out. If you luck out there as well, you'll likely just need to clean the carbs and get it a battery to get it running.

If it sat for 5+ years it'll also likely need tyres before you do anything more than a test ride.

If the tank is rusty, you'll want to fix that along with the fuel filter and clean/rebuild the carbs.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
You sure you aren't a farm gal Miss M.? I love your never give up approach to things. Maybe I should build a small house just to let you live in free and clear just so you are around to help me now and then. ha ha ha You and Dianne B both say never die. Love it!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for the replies. I thought $2500 was too much. The battery is shot. They said it will turn over but not start but won’t budge on price so I decided not to buy it. I’m going to look at an 07 S50 Boulevard tomorrow with 18K on it instead for $1900 that is ready to ride.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
I'd still see if there is a maintenance record you can look at. And for any of you Boulevard guys, is there any main item he should look for? Like a valve adjustment at a certain time/mileage. Something like that, if needed, could cost additional so that might be a negotiation item you could play with. Just trying to help ya.:devil:

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
You sure you aren't a farm gal Miss M.? I love your never give up approach to things. Maybe I should build a small house just to let you live in free and clear just so you are around to help me now and then. ha ha ha You and Dianne B both say never die. Love it!!!!!
Aww thank you! <3

Perhaps I'm a farm gal in city girl clothes! I don't know when I got the mentality, but I like to challenge myself and keep working until I either succeed or exhaust all options for my skill/income.

I even learned how to draft, wire walls, and do some moderate woodworking back in high school. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m sure the carb needs rebuilt fuel filter etc, but I wasn’t sure if the tires and or tubes would need replaced. Didn’t know anything about the shaft drive system etc. I know it was parked with 1/2 tank gas and no treatment added...so does that mean the tank rusted or got gummed up? After sitting for five years would the motor seize up or would the rings seize to the cylinders? I know the steps I would take if it was a tractor or any other heavy diesel equipment just not sure with the bike. Also didn’t know what a good price to pay for it would be. Long story short they want $2500 for it and that seems really high to me even with the low miles. I was thinking around $1000 but didn’t know if that was too high or too low.
No way! There's a point where the make, model and potential value takes a back seat to the condition.

A bike sitting for that long needs work, repairs, replacement parts. This is not the end of the world, but it's gonna cost time and money.

If your relatives want to get what they think is book value, tell them to get it running. Then maybe $2500 is at least negotiable. As it stands now, it may cost you that again to get it running. (Or not. You could get lucky. The point is, you don't know.)

I bought a running Honda Nighthawk for $600. Engine is a tank! It needed work to make it run like new, which, for the price I paid, I happily did. After another $1000 over the course of a season, I had a bike that runs like new!

That's the kind of deal you should expect for this bike. You are taking the risk.

Otherwise, there are plenty of bikes in that price range that actually run. Won't be hard to find at all.

·
Aging & Worn
4,547 Posts
Diesel mechanics make pretty good money! Why don’t you go out and buy a secondhand bike from a reputable dealer and save yourself a lot of aggravation!

·
Visionary
5,302 Posts
Where is the adventure in that? :)

Diesel mechanics make pretty good money! Why don’t you go out and buy a secondhand bike from a reputable dealer and save yourself a lot of aggravation!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.