Motorcycle Forum banner

New to me Suzuki Boulevard 1400

2K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  S83 
Suzuki just renamed the Intruders to Boulevards, and changed the labels; basic model number is still VS1400.
The rims should be polished and clear-coated aluminum; the clear coat should resist what you use on the spokes, but test first, of course. Unfortunately, the chrome from Suzuki isn't the best, and if not kept up, will show rust spotting. Don't forget to flush the clutch and brake hydraulic fluid; should be done every two years, minimum. I'll have to consult the service manual about the rear reservoir access.

The exhaust should not be so near the rear brake reservoir; I suspect the headers were replaced with the other pipes. Look at the photos at this site, and you will see a semi-triangular chrome piece above the muffler on the RH side: https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/big-twin-rumble-suzuki-1400-intruder-vs1400

There is a release mechanism in the transmission, which is active when you use too much engine braking, and allows the rear wheel to turn faster. See parts 8, 9, and 10 on this: https://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/suz/506b59daf8700235b87674a7/secondary-drive-gear
Although, I don't believe it would release by just pushing the bike backwards, but you never know. It is more likely the plates are sticking a bit from sitting, or the clutch is not fully released (or a bit of both); that doesn't explain the release when backing it up.

With both the 800 and 1400 Intruders, changing the pipes usually has minimal effect on mixture; I know, for certain, that the 800 went more to the rich side, which was good, as they are lean from the factory. It is when you mess with the air boxes and air cleaners that jetting becomes a problem.

There are other pipes that cross over between the battery box and transmission, so both are on the right. The ones you have are just not right, IMO. Or, they were installed incorrectly; I'd have to see them to know which it is.

So, if you have it in gear with the engine stopped, and the clutch disengaged, you can feel a lot of drag when pushing it forwards, and less pushing it backwards. That's what I think you said. There will be a small amount of drag in this condition when cold, less when fully warm, if the clutch is fully disengaged, which is normal for a wet clutch. With the clutch engaged, you shouldn't be able to move the bike in either direction when it is in gear. If you can roll it backwards while in gear, with the clutch released, something odd is happening.

BTW, my link to the secondary drive gear just shows how the gears are held together with spring pressure. The cams that releases the clutch with too much engine braking are 16 and 17 on the clutch diagram: https://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/suz/506b59daf8700235b87674a5/clutch
Note that it is a one-way device that only activates when the wheel tries to turn the engine; turning the wheel backwards should not force it to release the clutch. I'm starting to think there is something odd in the drive line, after the clutch.

The VS1400 has always had a slipper clutch, to prevent skidding the rear wheel when you shut the throttle abruptly. I still don't see how it would work to allow the bike to be pushed backwards while in gear; that movement reproduces the forces in the gear train that occur when the engine drives the rear wheel. If there was something added to the gear train that allows this, it was not added to the diagrams the parts houses use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.