Motorcycle Forum banner

New to me Suzuki Boulevard 1400

2K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  S83 
I've got an 05 Boulevard VS1400 as well. I just went out and tried mine, in gear, clutch released, I cannot move it forward but I can roll it backwards in all gears. I does like you described, at first it won't move, then it sort of pops free and rolls backward with sort of a lump-lump feel. I thought maybe the engine was turning in reverse with the decompression lever on but its not turning the motor, what ever slips in in the trans or final drive. After running the engine, it goes back to not rolling in either direction until I persist a bit and it starts to roll backwards. Like you described, it will not roll in forward, the tire will drag before the motor will turn over.

I went next door to a buddies place, he's got an 01 Intruder, his bike will not roll backward in any gear, ever.
I've ridden his bike before and compared it to mine and its very different. His feels a lot different even when you shift it, his seems to just fall into the next gear while mine has always needed a firm lift of the foot. His has a lot more miles though, mine has about 600 miles on it, his has close to 20k.

As to your early post about your wheels, mine has extruded alloy wheels, not chrome, only my spokes are chrome, the front hub is steel painted silver, the rear hub is aluminum with a steel center. My spokes are chrome plated.

In comparison to my buddies 2001, there's a lot of differences, the rims/wheels are the first I see, the top section of the forks and the handle bars are different. His has buckhorn style bars and a riser, mine has one piece drag bars, his seat is two pieces with no back rest, mine is one piece with a back rest with a storage box inside the back rest, and his oil cooler cover is also a bit different.
My wheels have bare aluminum flat sided rims with dimpled spoke holes, his has rounded edge steel rims.
After buying my bike this winter, I've noticed these a bit more and I was looking at one the other day, which the guy said was a 2007 model, and its rims were similar to mine but chrome plated or polished. He said his rims were steel. His had a different seat again, his was smooth, all one piece with no grab strap. Mine is one piece, smooth on the sides with a passenger grab strap and a diamond texture on top. The older bikes has more of a pillow looking type seat, made to look more like leather, while the newer models were just a one piece vinyl box style seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.