Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up a 2008 C109r yesterday. It's beautiful, big, and bad, but I noticed riding around today that the engine is missing occasionally. When cruising around 40mph in third at around 3000rpm (guessing- no tach), the engine missed every once in a while. It's my understanding that these bikes have two plugs per cylinder, so I'm surprised that it misses. It has cobra pipes on it, stock intake, and obviously runs a little rich- pipes are black inside. It smokes a touch. I haven't torn into it, but I'm guessing the previous owner put a power commander or something on it for the pipes, but since the intake is stock, it's running a little rich.

When you get on it hard, it doesn't skip a beat. It pulls hard and smooth. Putting around is fine too. It's just doing it cruising along town at 35-45. Is this normal? Any guesses what I should check for? Thanks.

·
American Legion Rider
21,101 Posts
Could be a bad plug wire. One that shorts out as it relaxes and when you get on it it's pulled away from where it is shorting out.

·
7,446 Posts
I had a new 2012 C109R and it was the only Cruiser I owned that could out run my 2003 VTX1800R!

Wonderful bike! Mine was ran over in the parking lot in front of my Retail Electronics business, by a big semi's trailer and squished.

Try the easiest thing first: Put maybe a half can or more of Chevron's TECHRON carb and fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank and then go for a long ride and run it hard through the gears to clean the pump, injectors and fuel screens. Check that your oil level is not overfilled as the 109 is famous for sucking oil into the air cleaner and too much could cause plug fouling and a 'miss.' Replace the plugs with new ones.

I shy away from all modified bikes because most/ some cause problems like yours and a person never knows what the previous owner or Bubba his tuner did to the bike.

Welcome to a great forum!

Sam :geek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I appreciate the replies.

Sam, I had a 2002 VTX1800 I bought brand new. Man, I loved that bike. I had it for five years, but had to sell it shortly after I got married because my wife got pregnant! My son is 12 now, so I decided to get another bike. I went to my local shop intending on getting another VTX1800, but all they had was about a dozen 1300s, which are nice bikes, but hey, we need those extra cubes, right? They had three M109Rs, and two C109Rs. I liked the look of the M109, but they didn't feel like they would be comfortable on a long trip. The C was perfect, so I plopped the cash down and drove off with it.

They said they changed all the fluids before selling it. You think maybe they overfilled the oil? I'll have to check on that when I get home. Thanks again!

·
7,446 Posts
It's worth checking. Keep us informed on what you find.
Sam:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've ridden it about 50 miles so far, it's been raining and cold up here- figures , right? I put some of that carb and fuel system cleaner in it and it seems to have helped. I haven't found a power commander yet, but the only thing I took off was the seat. I can't figure out how to take off the side panels, I'm afraid I'll break them by just pulling them off. I read that these bikes are lean from the factory, but this one is definitely running rich, which means it either has been flashed, or has a external fuel box of some kind. My old VTX1800 popped and banged after I put my power commander on it with the V&H pipes, but I don't remember it missing. Maybe it's too rich. If I could find a manual for this thing so I can figure out how to take parts off of it without breaking it, I'll get down to the bottom of things.

BTW, this pulls way harder than my VTX1800. I think it sounds better too..

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,785 Posts
On my Yammie, the ECM is under the battery box which is under the seat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Due to global cooling, I've only been able to run about 1/4 tank through the engine with the fuel system cleaner. It is running a lot better. I bought the bike from a used bike dealer, and they got it from a Harley dealer, so maybe it was just sitting on the floor for a year and the gas went bad, I don't know. It runs a lot better now. Not perfect, but with the pipes, I don't expect it to, really. Thanks for all your help, guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts