Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I bought a 05 Yamaha Roal Star Tour Deluxe in June, and have put around 6500 miles on already. I had a 650 Special II in the early 80s and have wanted to get another bike for a long time. I live in Centeral Kansas and I have really enjoyed riding this summer and fall. I'm thinking of taking a trip with my bike next summer and was wondering if it would be able to Handel a trailer or would that be too hard on the drivetrain and transmission?

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. How long of a trip are you wanting to take? I've never seen a trailer behind a bike that small. Hopefully someone will be able to give you good advice about that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking about going to the black hills in SD and maybe on into WY to see the sights. I rode to Casper this summer by myself, but next year I may have a passenger with me, so I was wanting to be able to put some of our gear on a trailer if possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bike is a 1300cc so I think the engine is big enough, but I'm concerned if the trailer weight when braking would cause problems with the drivetrain, transmission, and crank shaft. Someone told me that you can damage these components with the trailer slack in the hitch and a lot of manufacturers are not recommending using trailers for this reason. Is there and truth to this statement?

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
OOPs, I thought you said 650...I had to reread your original post. Sorry. You are right, that is big enough. I can tell you that when we bought our Victory Vision the dealership told us that if we put a trailer hitch on it our warranty would be voided. We have friends that pull trailers and they have had no problems. They've told us that if we do get a trailer hitch the pin hitch is the best.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I never pulled a trailer with mine but it was a strong running bike I would expect to be able to pull a small trailer. Have you checked to find out if they make a hitch for that bike? Mine was this 2007 model.

If you intend to ride 2-up, be sure the back seat is good enough for your partner.What I felt from the driver's seat did not translate into comfortable riding for my back seat rider.
I would think that as long as you took the trailer into account you could easily avoid damage to the drive train. No bike is built to pull a trailer but lots of them do it with no problems.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
We just rode to Wyoming this summer too, and came back through Kansas. Kansas is beautiful in it's own way, but it was very hot.

Welcome from Daytona Beach.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts