Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And first cycle in 45 years. Bought DT175A not running, stripped to dirt bike status. Now running and slowly adding back electrical items. Stator magneto wires are there but heavy cracked.
will install 12v system to be easier for me. Nice shape cycle. The way motorcycles should look. Alan

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Curious, what do you need the 12 volts for, what do you plan to power off it?

If you don't upgrade the generator there won't be enough power there to light a headlight and charge the battery at the same time unless the motor is spinning in excess of 1800rpm ... in other words the battery will be running at dead loss when you are at idle just so you can power 12 volt devices :unsure: and things like cell phones and LED devices work just dandy on lower voltage then 12 volts DC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curious, what do you need the 12 volts for, what do you plan to power off it?

If you don't upgrade the generator there won't be enough power there to light a headlight and charge the battery at the same time unless the motor is spinning in excess of 1800rpm ... in other words the battery will be running at dead loss when you are at idle just so you can power 12 volt devices :unsure: and things like cell phones and LED devices work just dandy on lower voltage then 12 volts DC.
Thanks for the quick reply. I really like these forums to get different perspectives. I read in another forum the ac voltage generated is sufficient to charge a 12v system by changing the regulator. Can’t prove it yet as my system is still getting rebuilt. Starts / runs. Ok. Way more options on bulbs snd lighting with 12v.
can’t yet get the right measurement from the stator. Looking for the right magneto pulling tool. 24mm LH threads? Found a speedometer on eBay. Now need a reasonable mount. If the 12v path doesn’t work, I’m ok with 6v. With no electrical. My options are way flexible. Thanks for the note.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Heres the thing, your bike almost certainly has only 2 small coils on the stator. One coil is dedicated to ignition only, the second is dedicated to everything else and that coil only puts to 45 watts maximum output. That's not a lot of power and it doesn't matter what voltage you apply to the devices down stream, you can only get 45 watts of energy or it will be running off the battery. The battery that is now bigger then the one that came on it, which is great just as long as you are producing sufficient power to run all your devices plus charge that battery at the same time.

... better jack up your idle speed to at least 1800 when your lights are on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heres the thing, your bike almost certainly has only 2 small coils on the stator. One coil is dedicated to ignition only, the second is dedicated to everything else and that coil only puts to 45 watts maximum output. That's not a lot of power and it doesn't matter what voltage you apply to the devices down stream, you can only get 45 watts of energy or it will be running off the battery. The battery that is now bigger then the one that came on it, which is great just as long as you are producing sufficient power to run all your devices plus charge that battery at the same time.

... better jack up your idle speed to at least 1800 when your lights are on.
This is good news! Thank you! The prev owner has run a single wire from the stator area to the spark. Now I know why. He was only using one coil to run the bike. I’m measuring across the yellow/ red wire to the black to check output and getting 0.13 ac v at idle and maybe 0.15 ac v revved up.
Why I want to pull the magneto and look to see what else is non oem. I can set my sights on 6v but need to get this output reading normal at idle. Thank you. Alan

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If there is only one hot wire and that's going to your ignition and you are taking the reading off that, your readings make sense. You need to find a second hot wire powered by the second coil, if one exists and has not been removed or burned out.
Are you trying to restore it to street legal with signals and horn and 20 minute parking lights, the whole bit?
Horn takes a crazy amount of power btw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If there is only one hot wire and that's going to your ignition and you are taking the reading off that, your readings make sense. You need to find a second hot wire powered by the second coil, if one exists and has not been removed or burned out.
Are you trying to restore it to street legal with signals and horn and 20 minute parking lights, the whole bit?
Horn takes a crazy amount of power btw.
My target is a headlight to have visibility at dusk riding. That will need a battery and an active charging system. But I bought a speedometer and cable at a good price. Have the title. So while I may not ride on the street, I could finish signals, horn and brake light. Next owner can have a ready bike.
not restore with original parts but visually close to original. I’m a long ways from street legal but I see a path.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts