Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I just bought a dual sport 2009 Honda 230m and my sister ran into a trailer going slow in first gear do I need to be worried about bent forks? Also does anyone have any recommendations a care for the bike. I intend on doing oil changes every 3months or 1500 miles, Than leaving it with the trickle charger in its free time but what does everyone do to continue the upkeep for their bikes.

Thanks you!
Sorry im new to this forum thing.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Hey so I just bought a dual sport 2009 Honda 230m and my sister ran into a trailer going slow in first gear do I need to be worried about bent forks? Also does anyone have any recommendations a care for the bike. I intend on doing oil changes every 3months or 1500 miles, Than leaving it with the trickle charger in its free time but what does everyone do to continue the upkeep for their bikes.

Thanks you!
Sorry im new to this forum thing.
Hi Cam... Welcome again to the forum!! The quickest way to assess if damage occurred to your bike due to your sister's mishap is to ride it and see if it "feels" any different. A low speed front impact won't damage most jap bikes, but it all depends on factors that we don't know. Typically, the front suspension will absorb most of the impact, but not always all of it. A test ride is in order here.

I would also suggest that you get a Clymer brand repair manual specifically for your model... You'll find it to be invaluable to doing your own maintenance and repairs. A wealth of useful info at your fingertips!!

You also might want to frequent our dual sport area of the forum, as I'm sure there is much info to be found there!!!

Jack

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
I do oil changes on both bikes every 4000-5000 miles. I lube the chain on the 9R every 1000 miles or every 3rd wet ride, periodically check air pressure and replace tires when the metals shining through. And as of NOW I'm going to start doing valve checks every 8000 miles.

If you're going to ride at least somewhat regularly, you won't need to hook up the trickle charger. Both my bikes, unfortunately, sat outside for the entire winter (5 months) with temps reaching as low as -34f. Both bikes fired right up without charging the batteries (or rather, the 9r fired right up after adjusting the valves).

What are the manufacturers instructions for oil change intervals? If you don't spend much time on dirt, then 1500 miles is incredibly early as the oil is still in very good condition at that point. If you do spend time on dirt, I still think thats pretty early.

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
Me:
5000 mile oil/filter changes with Mobile 1 for bikes.
My bike calls for 7500 mile changes with dino oil.
Chain every 300-400 miles lubed.
Valves (shims checked ) every 25,000 miles. ( I ride easy).
Tires..air... checked every week, but i do look them over be4 every ride.
Winter....plugged into a battery tender n started n warmed up every week or two.....in a vinyl garage...not heated...
-30 to -40 at times during winter here...
Lot of -5 to -10 threw winter, but the dark green shed heats up quite well from sun.
I hate winter n it's long here in maine......

·
7,488 Posts
Welcome from Missouri.

All of the advice thus far is excellent.

Here's what I would do as another diagnostic check of the front forks: Ride down a nice paved country road that is as flat as possible, get to say 25 mph and then relax your grip on the handlebars a little and if okay, remove your hands completely, steer the bike with your balance, and if the bike doesn't wobble and tracks straight down the road, then the forks are probably fine.

Learn how to adjust, clean and lube the drive chain correctly and buy the type of chain lube that doesn't fly off easily and hopefully wipes off easily.

If you have an owner's manual, it will give intervals for routine maintenance, which on the 230 is very easy to do.

Most importantly, keep your sister off the bike unless she's a passenger:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts