Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have 4,000 miles on my new Triumph Thunderbird, and still had a fair amount of tread on the rear tire, but after picking up a large nail and being uncomfortable with using a plugged tire, I ended up replacing the tire this week. With labor the cost was $250, but I think I made the right decision. In the past I have found dealers are not willing to even consider repairing a punctured tire, I guess because of fears of liability, but my current dealer was willing to do it. The more I thought about the less I was confident of continuing to ride with the old tire with a plug in it, but maybe I was being too conservative. Anyone with experience or thoughts on the issue?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I arrived to a charity ride event one morning & while waiting for the ride to start someone else noticed my rear tire was flat as a pancake :( yup I inherited a nail too.

I couldn't get it patched up quickly enough to attend the ride, but I did get it patched. That tire still had pretty reasonable amount of tread so I left it on. So far so good, maybe about 3000 km later.

That tire was patched from the inside, not "plugged" through the tread. So I felt that patch would be OK to continue using. If it was plugged instead of patched, I probably would have swapped it out within a week too.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Liability is exactly the reason no dealership or repair shop will do it. Your current dealer will change their policy when the person they repaired comes back and sues them for it, and it is a matter of when, not if.

·
Very Famous Person
9,809 Posts
Liability is exactly the reason no dealership or repair shop will do it. Your current dealer will change their policy when the person they repaired comes back and sues them for it, and it is a matter of when, not if.
--

You are correct in that it's a liability issue with a business. However, personally I have run many vehicles on 'plugged' tires, and have yet to have one have any subsequent problem in the plugged area. The exception has only been a leak that was made by a tire being cut open to make a large tear and repaired with multi plugs. That one (on a Jeep) needed more plugs to plug it further until it could be driven back to town. (It wasn't my Jeep, so I don't know what the owner ultimately did.)

The plug type of repair on a nail puncture is glued and wedged in in such a way, that I don't see how it could come out. I don't really know what the problem is in trusting it. As to tire shops, or tire manufacturers, or motorcycle dealers, well, they all have a financial incentive to sell you a new tire. So combine the 'liability' with the 'incentive to make money' and what do you expect?

It kind of reminds me of the proposition that using a car tire on the rear of a cruiser or touring motorcycle is dangerous. "EVERYBODY" says it can't be done and it will cause an accident. Yet, of all the people who do it, and have done it, no one has ever had an accident due to the tire.

So in these instances, you can believe anyone you want. Those who have theory, or those who have done it. If you don't mind paying money for your own peace of mind, then that's fine. That's what you should do.

--

·
Registered
535 Posts
A lot of my friends have experience with having they tires plugged, I don't know of anay issues. Most of them ride supersports bikes, some ride all-roads. But then, "liability issues" and suing is not so much of an issue here. When a shop does the repair following the manufacturers instructions and to the best of their knowledge, there's no way you can sue them. Which makes life so much easier over here :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You did read the comment you quoted, didn't you? I made no judgements about any person's choice of plugging a tire, only the statement that motorcycle shops, be they franchised dealership or independent repair facility, are hesitant, to totally resistant to doing a repair rather than replace because of the chance it could come back on them.
Good for you that you've never had a problem with a plugged tire. As far as the auto tire goes, until there's one on a bike when it comes out of the manufacturer's shipping crate, I'll stick to the notion that it's not something I wish to do. You, (specifically and collectively) can do as you like. It might be a wise move to check with your insurance provider to confirm that they won't deny any claim because of the auto tire use. After all, the motorcycle manufacturers, as well as all the tire manufacturers, specifically warn against doing so. Better to know the answer to that question before you are faced with the situation, rather than afterwards.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I read the comment, I wanted to make clear that plugging generally is safe, and that shops here do not have an issue with it because if done properly, whatever happens it won't come back on them. It's a lot harder to sue a person or a company in Europe than it is in the US, and I think that's a good thing because it makes life a lot easier and cheaper for everyone.

·
Very Famous Person
9,809 Posts
--

A little defensive, eh? That happens with people who have a limited point of view and are not open to other ideas. And my comments were on different points of view with some info behind each point.

--

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
If you see "defensive", then that's what you were looking for. I get it, the internet website forum is viewed by some as a "battleground", with any and every comment being an all out assault against their personal views. Whatever floats you down the road.
Just because someone doesn't agree with you and choses to not do what you are doing doesn't mean they have a "limited point of view", it means they have a different point of view. Perhaps you find that threatening. I apologize for having the same viewpoint about automotive tire use on motorcycles as every motorcycle manufacturer, every motorcycle tire manufacturer, and every automotive tire manufacturer on the planet. Perhaps you should offer your consultation services to them, I'm sure they'll line up around the block for that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts