Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to riding and want to buy my first bike. I want something sporty but at 6,4 i dont fit well on most 250's. Recommend me a bike! Thanks!

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Taller riders generally fit well on the dual sport or adventure-style motorcycles.

Most sport-styled motorcycles may be cramped for a tall rider.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I second that. Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, and BMW all make adventure/enduro style bikes. These have taller seats (32-34 inches), an upright riding position, and ride great both on and off road. I'm 5'10 and these fit me fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm 6'7.. learned on a 250 Kawasaki before moving up to a bigger bike. The dual sport adventure bikes were the best fitting for me when learning. Screamed like a bat out of hell on the highway getting up to speed.

The bike had been lifted which helped, but for me with size 16 feet, it was working the foot controls that was always been cumbersome. I can stretch out nicely on my cruiser now and its heaven.

·
Registered
677 Posts
As far as dual sports, the Kawi KLR 650 has a tall seat. Check out the Suzuki V-Strom 650 perhaps. Your best bet is to just go check em out in person. cycle-ergo.com is fun to play with...

·
Registered
75 Posts
cycle-ergo.com is fun to play with...
This is true, but it's especially good once you've sat on a few bikes/ridden some. That will let you translate what you see on cycle-ergo to your own personal experience, so the numbers and images on there will make more sense to you.

Have you taken your MSF course yet? That might also help you get a sense of what you want.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm 6 ft 3 250, and ride a Yamaha Roadstar 1700 cc....its a 2004 and bought it on Ebay last Spring. It's heavy but wow, the fit is nice dude, very comfortable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! i was looking at dual sports. I have takin the msf course and felt uncomfortable on the 250's.

·
Banned
412 Posts
I'm 6'3", and fitted just fine on a Rebel 250 (cruiser bike).
You will find the sports bikes, as well as the enduro types, where the gas tank is shaped to host your legs, usually are uncomfortable, because the knees are hitting the edges of the tank (tank incavings are made for people of 5'7"-5'9" height, and similar leg height).

However on some bikes it is possible to buy aftermarket foot pegs, that are lowered from the stock ones; or on very few bikes you can lower the foot pegs on the bike.

A cruiser fits almost all sizes if you ask me.
A burgman-style scooter also fits all sizes.

On a cruiser, even with lowered saddle, as a tall person, you will want to bring the handlebars closer to you, lower the foot pegs somewhat if possible, and lower the brake pedal.

You don't need a tall bike, but sports bikes often will have less accommodation for larger limbs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Taller riders generally fit well on the dual sport or adventure-style motorcycles.

Most sport-styled motorcycles may be cramped for a tall rider.
fully agree here. I'm 6'3" and most of it is in my legs. They gave me a 250cc dual sport for my MSF course and it fit great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm 6'3" i would recommend a Katana 600cc theyre relatively affordable and are sportbike that are kinda inbetweeners you can sit straight up and reach the handlebars or lean in they are stout bikes and should be good for tall riders

·
Registered
592 Posts
Go to a bike shop and sit on a bunch of different bikes. You will find one you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Try this site out, http://cycle-ergo.com/ Gives a bunch of different bike sizes and lets you see how you sit on them.

I'm in the same boat, 6'2" and 300 pounds. Started on a 650 Vstar but even with 4" forward controls it killed my knees. Wound up getting a 2000 Indian and I can ride it for hours. Or at least until something rattles loose and I have to stop and re tighten it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The maintenance costs, durability and reliability records may be a concern for some riders.

Those with deep pockets don't seem to care.
yeah, much like taking an italian model out to dinner. it isn't going to be cheap, but you'll love the ride.

you can actually find decent deals for them used though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm 6'4" and my first "NEW" bike was a V-strom 650.
Ergonomically it was almost perfect from the factory. Added some bar risers and it was heaven.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
" it isn't going to be cheap, but you'll love the ride."

it isn't gonna be cheap.
you'll love the ride - if you get one.
your wallet will be empty real fast.
and her closet will be filled with fancy clothes & shoes.
then she finds another guy with a bigger wallet.

HAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dT

1 - 20 of 20 Posts