Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all who are on two wheels. I am pretty good with mechanics to a certain extent. I have a 1976 honda cb500t that i pulled the top half of the motor apart, changed gaskets and put everything back together. The problem: the motor turns freely using the fly wheel and the kick start will turn the motor a couple of times, and then freezes. Any suggestions on what it could be before I go and totally take the entire thing apart once again. Thanks guys

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Welcome!

Interesting issue. Is it binding in a consistent area of the crank rotation? Was it doing this before you had the top end apart? Is your timing chain tension set properly, and are you sure the valves are timed correctly? Is there any end play in the crankshaft?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It had no problems beforehand. I needed to change the gaskets because compression was really low. I cannot pinpoint the exact spot where it binds up at. I know I can turn the flywheel that turns the motor without it ceasing up. I can go to the kickstart, kick it through slowly a couple times, then it'll lock up. I can then go back to the flywheel and reverse it half a turn or less, then turn the motor all the way through, as many cycles as i would like again. Goes through the same process over and over. And i am pretty sure i have set the timing correctly. Just to make sure, which ways should the camshafts be facing? What is the precise measurement for the chain tensioner? I cannot tell if there is any end play in the crank shaft. I did not mess with any of the crank case part of the motor. Just the cylinder and up

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Well, honestly it was well over 10 years ago I worked on one of those engines, so I'm a bit foggy on the specifics - a repair manual is worth its weight in gold!

I'm willing to bet the tensioner is spring loaded, though I forget what the procedure is to adjust it.

Just possibilities, could be a lot of things. Still, double check the valve timing - that's critical!

There are a couple other guys here who own and have worked on the 450/500T engine. Stick around and even start a thread in the Repair section!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I did remove the chain tensioner and the problem did continue to occur. I removed it to see if the master clip link could have been blocking it's passage way. I do thank you for your time!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
No problem. My thought there was maybe some slack in the chain was causing it to bind or catch on its way around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts