Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in a bike specific forum and thought I’d try here as well. I’m thinking of getting a more comfortable seat. I guess one of the gel padded ones everyone says are good. Anyone have any recommendations? Something that a newbie like my can install himself? I'm not married to the idea of a gel seat, I just see a lot of people saying they like them. Someone also recommended a DIY project, but do not have those kind of skills.

·
Premium Member
5,479 Posts
I replaced my standard seat with the gel type, but stock, version of the same seat. You should know that when you are out on a sunny day, you have to do something to shade it, because the gel absorbs a lot of heat, unless you like roasted ... :eek:

I've since replaced that seat with a Mustang brand seat, and would never go back to either OEM type.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I concur...the previous owner of my bike replaced the original with a thicker gel seat. She said the stock seat was hard as a rock. That may be true, but don't park your bike in the sun and then chat with the cheker at a grocery store or your butt will roast until you reach 80 for a spell...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After looking it up online I think I may try a DIY project as a test. I'm not going to do it on my seat just yet, but maybe with an old chair, some foam padding and stretch vinyl to see how I do.

·
American Legion Rider
21,231 Posts
You can always send yours or another like yours so you can continue to ride, to MeanCityCycles for their double memory foam. They make a stock seat actually pleasurable.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I'll mention Corbin because they are a popular after market seat maker. They are pricey, and their seats take quite awhile to break in, but they are well made. I used them twice in the past and was very happy with the improvement, but then again it was for bikes where the OEM seat was really bad.

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
When I had a Bandit 1250 with the worst stock seat I've ever experienced, I had the foam replaced by this guy. The Spencer seat mod was a huge improvement for a very modest price. It wasn't as good as the Sargent seat I had on my next bike, but for the price I was quite happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts