Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sold the V-star last weekend and before the withdrawals hit, and someone filled the empty space in the garage, I picked up a gently used 2009 Yamaha TMAX. I'm liking the blue/black colour.

Attachments

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Wow! What a beautiful ride!

There's so much that's great about scooting --- easy on/off, ability to haul stuff in the underseat trunk, one hand free for drinking while riding... and you've got a big enough scoot to ride 2-up now and then, for fun!

·
8,599 Posts
Congrat's Steve, they are great scoots!

I had a new 2009 just like it:biggrin:

Right now I have 2 Burgman 650's out of 4 I've had.

be careful with the speed of Mr. T, he will surprise you and he is much faster than the V-star 650 you had.

In the mountains, the T-max is King!

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice looking ride! Congrats! What was wrong with the V-Star?
The V-Star 650 Classic was great and I finally found the rear fender rack to make it look even better, but riding it in traffic with all the stop-N-go is a PITA. The twist and go of a scooter is just so much easier and more comfortable.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
i think the 2009 Tmax is a 500. In 2012 i think it was they updated it to a 530. And in 2015 they did a few more tweaks like upside down front forks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
sorry SteveM, forgot. That is a great looking bike. Really love the Tmax as i think it the best of both worlds. All the good of scooters and motorcycles combined into one. Congrats. please report back on your impressions of the bike. Would be interested to hear how comfortable it is on longer rides.

I am seeing more and more scooters on the roads these days. I think people are finally clueing in that these bikes are perfect as an urban warrior. Shifting gets old in traffic.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
That's a beautiful scoot. I love the color! Scooters are a lot of fun around town, light weight, stop & go no problem, easier to get on & off with knee problems and great on fuel mileage.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is the engine size on those?
The motor is a 499cc fuel injected, liquid cooled vertical twin. They bumped the motor to 530cc in later years and revised the styling. There are two local dealers with NOS sitting on the showroom floor. One a 2013 model in matte black, the other a 2014 in matte brown (bronze). I am not a fan of the matte paint as bug splatters stick too well and I have nothing to wax and polish.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry SteveM, forgot. That is a great looking bike. Really love the Tmax as i think it the best of both worlds. All the good of scooters and motorcycles combined into one. Congrats. please report back on your impressions of the bike. Would be interested to hear how comfortable it is on longer rides.

I am seeing more and more scooters on the roads these days. I think people are finally clueing in that these bikes are perfect as an urban warrior. Shifting gets old in traffic.
Scooters are slowly becoming more accepted, but very slowly. I've been riding a 2007 Piaggio BV250 for the last three seasons and the pure functionality and ease of use cannot be beat. Turn the key, press start and ride away. The under seat storage has a light and a 12V socket to charge my phone and easily holds rain suit, umbrella, Grip Lock, shopping bag, stock tool kit, extra tool kit, reflective vest, etc. I have a Givi case on the rear that holds my helmet too. All much easier and more civilized than any motorcycle I have ever owned.

I believe this TMAX s bike number 28 or 29 for me. I have lost count over my 40 years of riding. :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First impressions are that it all works as advertised. The fuel injection is nice and the bike fires right up and is ready to ride without waiting to warm-up. This is my first FI bike and I'm liking this part.

The gauges are clear and easy to read and have a red glow at night. The light works OK, but still not on par with headlights on a car. The riding position places me much higher than my V-Star 650 Classic, but my feet are still flat when stopped. I do get a good view of the surrounding traffic.

The seat holds my HJC helmet, a Grip Lock and a folding bag. Not much room left for other goodies like rain suit, reflective vest or other things. I might have to get a Givi rear truck for my helmet so the under seat storage can hold these other essentials.

The triple disc brakes on this bike are the best I have ever had on any bike. They bring the TMAX to a stop with little effort and no squealing like the disc on the V-Star used to make. Nice to know it stops so well.

The floor boards are OK, but my big feet take up most of the space so there isn't too much room to move around. The motor doesn't have much bark to it and it is almost too quiet and has little character. The V-Star was quiet as well, but it did have the V-Twin rumble. The TMAX needs something more here.

·
8,599 Posts
Steve, the T-max isn't a vertical twin, it a Flat twin with the cylinders facing forward, perpendicular to the road surface. It actually is a 3 cylinder engine but the balance cylinder, also flat and facing the back of the engine has no combustion.

I finally got to see a new 530 T-max the other day at my Triumph dealer and it was beautiful!

Any of you die-hard motorcycle people that haven't ridden a Maxi-Scooter like the T-max or like my 2012 650 Burgman, are really missing a great experience. Twist and go, CVT transmissions make the ride very pleasant for a change and one only has the rear brake at the left handlebar and the front brake in the usual place and then the throttle to contend with.

This T-max has a top speed of approximately 105-110 mph and the Burgman 650 is about 10 mph faster on the top end and both will cruise all day at any legal speed in the U.S. with ease. Fuel consumption is between 40 to 55 mpg.

Even though I've got a new Triumph Rocket 3 right now, I love the Burgman just as much and if need be, the Triumph would probably get the axe first;)

Sam:coffeescreen:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts