Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am 16, 17 this month, and I have always wanted to get into motorcycles. I have ridden dirt bikes and quads for a long time, since about 7, so I know the basics of how to work a clutch. I have been saving up for a motorcycle and am almost there. Couple questions. I live in new york and only know one person who has a motorcycle, my friend's dad. Is there any way to get my license another way as it seems like it would be a bother to him and a general hassle to try to ride with him. Is there any other way to get the hours needed? Next, obviously, I need a bike. I have about $1000 saved for everything I need, bike, gear, everything, I that enough. I realized that I'm not going to get a princess, but my idea is get something I can fix as I am relatively mechanically inclined. I guess, what is a good bike to start. I know I don't want a sport or touring bike, I like the look of café racers, but have never driven one. I think a chopper? I guess would be the one I am sure of. Anyways, there are plenty of cheaper bike that need to be worked on a little to be ready, a couple maxims, hondamatics, a virago, a CB, Honda shadow, and so on. What is a good start, I would think something like a 1000 is just stupid to get, but would like a 650 or 700 be good? Or is that too much? As I have said, I have ridden dirt bikes and quads, but none that were over 600cc (a quad), so I don't really know how all of this equates. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Anyways, thanks for reading what probably sounds mostly like nonsense, thank to anyone that replies.

·
American Legion Rider
20,011 Posts
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

This site does have spambot control.
Unfortunately it is needed today.
Thanks for your real introduction.
We are friendly site here. Well, most of us?

Lots of information already posted here about what bikes a person might want or think they want. I hope you take the opportunity to read what others in your shoes have done. You'll likely get crossed reading so much but have fun getting confused too.(y) (y) (y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

This site does have spambot control.
Unfortunately it is needed today.
Thanks for your real introduction.
We are friendly site here. Well, most of us?

Lots of information already posted here about what bikes a person might want or think they want. I hope you take the opportunity to read what others in your shoes have done. You'll likely get crossed reading so much but have fun getting confused too.(y) (y) (y)
I've already gotten engrossed in the forum already. My biggest question is about getting a license though. As I said, I have nobody near me with their motorcycle license, only a friend's dad. I live in new york, looked at the msf page and from my understanding, the course makes it so I don't have to take the skills. Is this right, or am I misunderstanding something?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,315 Posts
Welcome and the best thing to do is get in touch with your Motor Vehicles department. They will have the right anwers for you state. In most cases the beginer's motorcycle course (if state sponsored) will take care of the all the requirements. That being said there could be an age limitation. Check with your state to find out for certain.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Agree with Critter. Most areas will have beginner rider courses that also include the rider test and certification and are well worth the cost. After that I'd also suggest taking a more advanced riding course so that you ensure that you are learning correct technique and that you aren't practicing poor technique over and over again as bad habits become hard to brake. There are lots of threads that suggest good starter bikes etc, just make sure you also budget for proper riding gear and a good quality helmet. You're young and have lots of life to live, so don't make the same mistake a lot of new riders make and that is to try and outride their abilities. If you have any questions about advanced riding school options or techniques to work on please don't hesitate to ask. I'm a riding coach with the California Superbike School so safety and proper skills and technique are very important to me :). Ride safe!!

·
American Legion Rider
20,011 Posts
+1 on the previous comments, I agree completely. (y) (y) (y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Agree with Critter. Most areas will have beginner rider courses that also include the rider test and certification and are well worth the cost. After that I'd also suggest taking a more advanced riding course so that you ensure that you are learning correct technique and that you aren't practicing poor technique over and over again as bad habits become hard to brake. There are lots of threads that suggest good starter bikes etc, just make sure you also budget for proper riding gear and a good quality helmet. You're young and have lots of life to live, so don't make the same mistake a lot of new riders make and that is to try and outride their abilities. If you have any questions about advanced riding school options or techniques to work on please don't hesitate to ask. I'm a riding coach with the California Superbike School so safety and proper skills and technique are very important to me :). Ride safe!!
Great, I've already been looking at the riding courses, bikes, gear, etc. and have been reading post on this forum basically whenever I have time. As I said, my friend's dad has been riding bikes since he was about my age, and been on and off between dirt bikes and quads most of my life. I'm no stranger to safety and have had family friends get very injured from riding. I know my limits and not to overstep them. That being said, I'm very excited to join the community, everyone here seems very nice and like they really do want to help. Love it so far. Just a quick edit here, where are some good places to get good, quality riding gear at reasonable prices?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just a quick edit here, where are some good places to get good, quality riding gear at reasonable prices?
See if you can find a Cycle Gear store. They sell some decent quality stuff for not much money.

I have had really good success buying used jackets on poshmark.com. It's time consuming: you find a jacket that looks nice but then have to go search the Internet to find details and reviews to decide if it's what you're really looking for. It's paid off, though. I bought a Hein Gericke First Gear leather jacket that serves in cold to mild temperatures and a Joe Rocket mesh jacket for hot weather. Got them for about $50 each.

I considered Kevlar riding jeans but decided against them in favor of some sturdy overpants. That way I can ride to work and wear whatever I need to on a given day (khakis, dress pants, whatever). I took a chance and bought a $70 pair from Amazon and haven't been disappointed. I haven't tested them in a slide (thank God) but they appear to be thick and sturdy enough to protect me. I bought a can of Atsko silicone waterproofing spray and turned them into rain pants. Denim jeans are no protection, you might as well be wearing shorts.

Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts