Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone my name is sniperdog92 or you can just call me snipe I'm currently not riding yet but am getting a bike soon I know the basics of riding but what confuses me the most is the counter steering part lol. I'm thinking about getting a honda shadow 750

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Be ready for even more confusion as countersteering always brings up debate. To me countersteering is a swerve where you push the bike in one direction but keep your body upright instead of leaning with the bike. This is how my instructor taught it. Now countersteering in a corner. ...now that still confuses me so ill let some more experienced riders answer that

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

If you live in the USA you should take the Beginning Rider Course (BRC). It will teach you about counter steering. If you've ridden a bicycle you've already used it and just didn't realize it. Basically you push forward on the left handlebar you will go left. Push forward on the right handlebar you will go right. Find a bicycle and try it then when you actually get on a motorcycle you will understand.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Welcome from Seattle. I agree, take the BRC course. By Sunday afternoon you will have much better understanding, and a couple of days on the bike under your belt. Those instructors are full of good information on how not to get buried young. Well worth the $125 it cost me

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum Snipe. Counter steering is easy. You have done it for years on a bicycle if you have ridden over about 5 MPH. When you want to go left you press on the left bar and sure enough you go left. What could be simpler? It is taught as a technique in the Basic Rider Course, the BRC, because many people are not aware of doing it. If you have not yet taken the BRC, do so. It will teach you many things that will make riding safer for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts