Motorcycle Forum banner

New rider with some not-so-smart questions

9K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  61995 
#1 ·
Good morning everyone and Happy Easter.

I am a new rider (I take the safety course next weekend). I have been a passenger before, and I have some questions about gear and such.

But first let me introduce myself. I'm 36. I live in Alberta, Canada (yeah we still have snow). I have always wanted to learn how to ride, but due to circumstances, I've never done it. Well this year, I decided to make that leap. This is my birthday present to myself. I figure what better present than a new skill.

I hope my questions don't seem too silly, but I've been trying to figure them out for a while and have come up with nothing.

1. What do you do with your hair?

I have long hair, and it seems that no matter what I try, I end up with a rat's nest back there. Ok so the first time as a passenger with my hair down under the helmet wasn't such a great idea. I accept that. But if I put it in a pony tail, braid or braids, they always fall out or don't keep it anywhere close to manageable. There is way too much hair to put it under my helmet (I'd have to go from a S to an XL). What, if anything, can you recommend. I don't want my hair blowing in my face, I don't want it to be a rat's nest, but I do want it to stay put. Any suggestions?

2. How do you fit a leather jacket?

This is another 'she should probably know this one', but I'm at a loss. I went to various stores (ie dealerships and leather stores) and tried a bunch (well pretty much everything) on. I've come to the following conclusions: if it fits my torso, I can't zipper it past my chest. If it fits my chest, I look like I'm wearing a leather skirt that starts at my boobs and hangs straight down to my waist (well you can't actually see my waist at that point). I tried ones that are adjustable on the sides, but there is too much leather and they can't adjust enough. If I remove the liner, it is better, but as I stated, I live in Canada (we're not known for super warm temps).

So the deal is, I have big boobs and have no idea how the coats should fit. Should I buy one that fits the girls but not the torso or should I buy one that fits the torso and as the leather gets broken in it will adjust to fit the girls. Any ideas on the best fit? I asked the salesmen, but they just gave me a stock answer on fitting it across the shoulders. Well I understand that part, but I have to make room for the other stuff too. I have bought a textile jacket for the course. That one was easier because the adjustments on the sides can deal with the fabric easier than the leather can, and I knew that I would at least be wearing several layers under it (spring, Alberta, not very warm yet).

3. Boots are troublesome at the best of times...

I went out yesterday looking for boots. I never thought that it would be easy because I have trouble finding shoes that fit properly at the best of times. We don't have the biggest selection here. I would try the internet, but I really need to try them on. The only boots that the dealerships carry are ones made by sport companies and that is not my deal. I'm looking for a black leather boot. I don't prefer lace ups, but I guess if that is my only option, I'll deal until I vacay somewhere that has a decent selection.

Basically the only options that I found locally are Harley Davidson boots. I'm not a brand freak, so what I really care about are fit, comfort and safety. My issues with the boots that I found are that they are a little snug around the toes but fit everywhere else or they fit fine around the toes but are fairly loose around the ankle. The leather around the toes seems stiff and thick. If I buy these boots, will the leather stretch and fit my toes better or are they made so that they retain their stiffness? Are there any bad things that could happen if I'm wearing boots that are too loose around the ankles (ie is this something that I should be really concerned about). BTW I wear size 10 shoes, so going to a men's boot is a possibility, but they are generally wider than ladies and feel sloppy on my foot. Plus a lot of the boots are listed as 'after riding' boots. Should I stick to ones that are listed for riding? The girl at the Harley dealership said they were all for riding, but why would they have two different categories.

I do have boots for the course. They are sturdy hiking boots that lace up past my ankles with really good soles (I spoke to the instructor, and he assured me that they will be practical and safe for the course).

I'm sorry about the long post (I just wanted to throw out as much info as I could), and thanks for any help you can provide.

Natasha

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello, Natasha -

I suppose you'll get some input from the ladies, but is it permissible for a male to offer a couple of thoughts? The questions you've posed seem reasonable to me, and I can understand why you want to get these issues right. Properly-fitting gear is important. I'm afraid I can't help much with the hair thing. But on the other questions -

How do you fit a leather jacket?
I Googled "fitted women's motorcycle jacket" (no quotes), and found some sites that offer them. One is Fox Creek Leather and the jacket on this page looks like it would conform to a woman's shape. There are others if you look around. One is here. Maybe others will offer more specifics.

On boots, I've found that Chippewa makes high quality boots that fit true to size, at least in the men's boot line. I've been wearing a pair of Chippewa Bison boots for years, and they've worn really well.

I don't personally believe one has to necessarily wear only boots made as "motorcycle boots", and I think just about everything "clothes" Harley Davidson sells is way overpriced. They know once you buy their bike, you'll spend more to get their clothes - something like a "captive audience". Comfort and durability are highest on my list. Ankle support is a good thing, but I wouldn't pick that over comfort. As with any leather product, things will loosen up with use. As long as the fit is correct, that shouldn't be an issue.

I sympathize that living where there isn't much local selection of stuff I need is a hassle. I find myself ordering online a lot, simply because in my area, stores only stock stuff they can sell a lot of; they just won't stock higher quality things that move slower. I like to buy quality, because I think you get what you pay for, normally. And I just like nice stuff. Buying clothes online is a bit of a pain when you need to return something for another size, but sometimes it's the only way to get what you really want.

Good luck. Interesting post.

#3 ·
Thanks for the thoughts. Of course a guy can chime in...you did much better than the salesman who told me that it should fit...

I like nice stuff too. It's an issue living in the frozen north. That's why we shop our butts off when we visit our neighbours to the south! When I was in the Harley store here, it was crazy. Plus I don't want to look like a chump when I don't buy a Harley ;) .

Thanks for the info on the boots. I was getting concerned because I know mine aren't motorcycle specific, but then I couldn't find any. Bah shoes and women...how would manufacturers survive without us? I'm going to widen my search and look for good, tough over the ankle boots that fit well. That seems more sensible to me now.

I have not tried on (well I've not seen) a jacket like you posted. It looks to have elastic or whatever built into the sides. Perhaps that will work better as it is designed to not bunch up the leather (well it does but in a controlled way).

Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate it. It's been tough trying to figure out what is right and will work. I know people who ride, but they are all guys and well have been pretty useless in the gear department...they just suggested the coat that I couldn't zipper up and wear it with a low tank top...they were just kidding but couldn't offer anything else.

Thanks again
Natasha

#4 · (Edited)
I have not tried on (well I've not seen) a jacket like you posted. It looks to have elastic or whatever built into the sides. Perhaps that will work better as it is designed to not bunch up the leather (well it does but in a controlled way).
Natasha, in the "Jacket Recommendations" discussion in this section, the 2nd poster said she (I presume) owns a Fox Creek jacket. You may want to PM her to get more info.

Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate it. It's been tough trying to figure out what is right and will work. I know people who ride, but they are all guys and well have been pretty useless in the gear department...they just suggested the coat that I couldn't zipper up and wear it with a low tank top...they were just kidding but couldn't offer anything else.
Well, guys will be guys :rolleyes: You're on the up-side of the learning curve with this riding thing now and some of it will be trial and error until you figure out what works best for you.

Oh, and, still snow outside? Brrrr, just brrrr. Here in Texas, it's 86 out right now, and I'm getting ready to go for a ride on my 'Wing soon as I finish this. C'mon down!

Dave

#5 ·
LOL yup guys will be guys...I told them to wear their chaps with just a g string and see how that worked out for them!

I love to learn and love to shop...trial and error will serve me well in both instances. There are a few online shops that ship from Canada, so I know that I won't have to pay shipping back to the States.

I didn't want to hijack anyone's question, but I'll ask the poster how she likes her coat!

Thanks again!

#6 ·
When I ride I wear a double hair comb (http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=290558455399&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=58501192457) & then I wear a pony tail at the base of my neck. That's what I found to work best for wearing a helmet & my hair not flying everywhere.

Can't help you with leather
1 cuz I am not very gifted in front
2 I don't care for leather coats.

Boots I too have problems finding just the right ones. I like to try the shoes on 1st. I have been wearing hiking boots cuz they seem to feel & fit the best. I am always on the lookout for a pair of boots for riding. I had bought a pair but quickly found out that they do not grip the roads like my hiking boots do. Where I live are quite a few different farmer clothing stores that carry quite a few different types of boots but I have the problem of finding a pair in my size.

#7 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. That type of comb might keep it all in place. I'll certainly check them out.

Knowing that someone else wears hiking boots helps with my concerns. At least I know they fit well and work. I'm going to check into different types of stores (like the farming equipment stores - we have a lot of them here too, along with general work clothes stores); I might have some luck if I look off the beaten path.

Natasha

#10 ·
I understand you like to try it on before you buy. I do too. But living in a relatively small rural town there's no selection. Have you looked around at www.Leatherup.com. From what I saw last night they have a large fitting sections that gives all the measurements for different items. I got a Tourmaster Flex 2 Series jacket and my wife got a Tourmaster too but not the Flex 2 Series. She has a similar build. If you want I can find out the exact model jacket. As far as boots, I'm getting the longest shaft length as possible to protect my calves as much as possible. No help here on the hair. All the best to you. Take care.

#11 ·
Thanks Tankhead. I think that the brand of jacket that I bought, but I've not seen the leather one. My local store can order it in (then I won't have to pay the shipping and duty). I'll take some measurements and see how it goes. At least I know the dealership will exchange it if it isn't right when it comes.

I was concerned about the height of my hikers. They are not overly tall but cover my ankles. I did find a pair of leather boots that come at least 1/2 way up my calf, so perhaps they would be better in the long run. The 300$ price tag made me shiver a little, but I guess I would rather pay that than have no calfs (they might be important to me at some point ;) ).

Thanks for your help.

#20 ·
I was concerned about the height of my hikers. They are not overly tall but cover my ankles. I did find a pair of leather boots that come at least 1/2 way up my calf, so perhaps they would be better in the long run. The 300$ price tag made me shiver a little, but I guess I would rather pay that than have no calfs (they might be important to me at some point ;) ).

Thanks for your help.
The womens boots on leatherup with two velcro straps for $79. They come up to midcalf, fit under jeans, are comfortable, and fit under my shifter with no problems. I ordered 10s which are a little big, but are perfect with two pairs of socks. Definitely check them out :)

#12 ·
As far as fit goes it is also important to be comfortable. You can't ride and pay attention if your squirming 'cause your gear is uncomfortable. Don't worry about what "looking like a biker". I have always worn hiking boot to ride because ususally they are very sturdy, comfortable and its easyer to shift in than some thick riding boot. You are new to riding so don't think you have to settle for the equipment you will have for life. As you ride you will find out what works for you and what doesn't. A friend of mine is a new rider and went out and got all the riding gear he could, the armored jacket, the armored pants, riding boots etc. We went riding the other day and it was rather warm out. With all his gear on he was sweating like crazy and couldn't concentrate on the ride. My belief is that it is better to avoid the accident the protect from it. I know this doesn't help with your fitting questions, but hopefully you will take it as advice to keep in the back of your mind. Experiment, find out what works for you and most importantly ENJOY YOUR NEW HOBBY!:71baldboy:

#13 ·
That is a very good point indeed. I'm trying to balance the two. Perhaps I should be more concerned with one over the other. I actually hadn't thought too much about comfort in that way. As I've only ever been on the back of a bike and never driven one, I have no idea what kind of movements are required. I've held off on buying a lot of gear because of not knowing what I should buy. I'm now going to pay very close attention on the movements that are required and that should help me out a lot.

Thanks so much for pointing this out. The fit I'll eventually figure out through trial and error, but your advice makes me think about it in a whole new way - a good way. And as I would say in person...I plan to enjoy the s*it out of this hobby! Thanks again.

#15 ·
LOL that's true! This morning when I left for work it was 0C (32F), and there is still a foot of snow in my back yard. We will get +80F days but they seem to get more rare as the years go by. Where I live there is also low humidity, so at least that is not a factor. Pretty much everything I look at still has to be pretty warm. You might get hot in your gear at a stop light, but how long does one of those last.

People only started riding here last week. Now that the highs are above 0C, they are everywhere. The jacket that I bought for this weekend is insulated, as are my gloves. I can also wear a hoodie under my jacket just in case. You never know in Canada!

#16 ·
The only reason I mentioned the Flex 2 Series is because it is a 3 in 1 jacket where the insulated lining comes off and has "vents" for the warmer days. I would much rather be riding in your type weather than mine. But riding around here can almost be done year round. I do wish you well out on the road! Take care.

#17 ·
3 in 1 jackets might have been the greatest gift to Canadians since central heating. That's the kind I bought. I can't imagine not buying that type. A summer specific jacket just doesn't seem right when you can have a snow storm in August (yes it has happened).

It's certainly not as hot here in the summer, but we have had the coldest recorded temps on earth (that was winter 2010 I think). I stayed home from work once because it was -68C with the windchill.

#18 ·
I have a Scorpion EXO textile jacket with zip-out liner that fits well. Other jackets - textile and leather - gave me the same non-fitting issues as you have found. For winter riding I want to eventually buy heated gear to go under my riding gear. I'm not a leather kind of gal. I do want armored jeans one day though.

I was wearing Durango boots but the soles are not the best for riding, so I now wear a pair of hiking boots I bought at Walmart. The one pair of HD riding boots I found locally fit like **** - I could've put both feet in one of them and had room on top to spare.

As for the hair, I'm not much help. My hair is thick and runs to the middle of my back, and right now I just pull it back into a low ponytail (and it generally stays tucked under my jacket). I bought some Raci-Babi helmet liners (more like hair wraps) and if I can get one to stay on my head long enough to put on my helmet, I'll let you know if they work. LOL http://www.2uptouring.com/Helmet-Liners.aspx?CP=11001

This site is where I stumbled across Raci-Babi liners: http://www.vtwinmama.com/womens_gear.htm They list a lot of sites that offer motorcycle gear for women (including Fox Creek Leather).

#19 ·
Thanks for the info Kat. I'm so gonna order one of the hair wraps...even if I can't get it work. I guarentee the resulting silliness will be worth the expense.

I think I saw that brand of jacket in one of the local dealerships here. I'll definitely check it out.

Thanks again for the info!

#22 ·
If as you say guys are allowed on this post I'l chime in a bit.It has always been my rule with any gear for any sport that you get the best for it's purpose and adapt it if needed. So as far as the leather jacket is concerned, can you get a good comfortable one that fits the upper torso,trying to be a gentleman here, and get it tailored ? A good leather will last forever so the money invested for the comfort will be worth it.
Boots, any boot with a good patterned sole for grip on the road surface works.I get my boots from L.A Police gear,good fit and low cost;I have one pair that cost $30 and it's like wearing a pair of soft moccosins and still gives protection.
Hair, well I have none so that's a moot subject for me.:biggrin:

#23 ·
Thanks for the info! No worries on being an gentleman either. lol I can probably be as uncouth as anyone! My, ummm, torso gets a lot of discussion and I'm usually right in the middle of it! If ya got em might as well have fun with em ;)

I hadn't actually thought of having a jacket tailored. If I go with a larger ladies size, they could probably fit it for me. I'm thinking that there won't be as much to tailor as with a men's coat. That might get into issues with sleeve length, shoulder width, etc. I'm short so that probably doesn't help.

My boots I'm going to try on every pair they have here. We do have an army surplus store. I might try them on for size. I assume that we have stores that supply police type gear (I've never had occasion to look). I'll give that a try too.

Thanks again and have an awesome weekend.

#24 ·
http://www.salonweb.com/hairglove/embossedflames-4inch.htm
I didn't read all the posts but some women like the pony tail wraps, putting the hair in pigtails. Mine is getting to a point now where I need something. To me that means it's time for a haircut:D I just like it a bit shorter anyway.
Womens riding gear is the thorn in my side!! I've actually been tossing around the idea of opening a gear store down here. Don't see the point of wearing leather if your girls are hanging out, they will freeze!! I think I read where you have the Flex 2 jacket and like it? Have you thought about a heated liner instead of a leather jacket for it gets really cold? Would probably be less than a real good leather jacket also. I am in the South so need for one but have read great things about them.
I bought a pair of Hippo Hands too for the handlebars. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet but again, hear they work great. They don't look great but if they work that's what counts.
I hope you find everything you need. I hate buying stuff online without being able to try it on. I go by size charts that the different companies put up but even it's shoot or miss.

#25 ·
do you have really thin hair or thick? it sort of matters. I have medium thickness but my hair is insainly long.... almost to my hips. i pony it really low and not too tight at the base of my neck and do one of two things wrap it in a bun and i always use two rubber bands in the pony and to hold the bun in place once wrapped.

or i braid it really tight and then use two rubber bands at the bottom it looks really thick and not quite as cute but i found there is a two rubber band minium to hold my hair. if your hair is thinner try putting a bit of that hair gunk in your hair. its usually for guys who want that chunky look but it works good for thin hair to hold a braid. when your hair is wet apply just a bit to it and brush it threw then braid your hair.

2. How do you fit a leather jacket?
I have the same problem with this one... i got a jacket with little adjusters on the back and its got zippers on the sides. and even though i got on xl its still a smide tight in the bust area.... (you would think in this day in age with all the barbie princesses getting done over women could at least find some dang clothes for those of us who are naturally that way)

anyway, the jacket i have wont help you in canada. it would be like a canadian summer jacket hahahahaha but i doubt you will be riding with the billion feet of snow you get up there. I have a "power trip" leather jacket. its got a little liner in it.... (burgandy) but its a fairly decent fit. just rememeber if you get a leather jacket.... you can always get it tailored in the waist. just take it to a leather person. they will know what to do. get whatever fits the top half comfortably and its fairly easy to take in the waist. depending on how much smaller there you are.

3. Boots are troublesome at the best of times...
Harley does have some cute boots. I ride a honda and no matter how much i like the boots i just cant see myself branded when i dont ride that bike. I wear doc martins.... they are comfortable, affordable and they work. my dad has worn docs for years. and they are available everywhere.

#26 ·
I had to get a Double Diva (XXL) sized jacket to contain my boobs. It's mesh though, not leather, and maybe they are learning because this one has straps on the mid and lower back, plus the sleeves. It's too large for me, but I couldn't get a smaller size to zip up over my boobs. It was kind of embarrassing when my husband grabbed a Medium and I ended up needing XXL. But it is comfortable, roomy, easy to move in and with the adjustable straps it won't flap around like crazy and I can let out the straps if it's ever cold enough to wear the liner and anything thick underneath.

#29 ·
I have seen videos of riders with long hair who braid it. One in particular I saw she braided her hair after putting her helmet on. I can only think this is so that there is not a braid bump between her head and helmet. Her hair was long enough that her braid could go in front of her as she rode rather than whipping around behind her.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.