Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am a new rider that just passed the MSF course and got my M1. I have been going to motorcycle shops for about 6months now trying to figure out what style of bike I like. I feel most comfortable on a standard, sport, or cruiser bike.

I came across two bikes I do like (plus they are comfortable) and I need some help deciding whether or not I should purchase one of the two bikes or if I should pass on them both. If I should pass what should, what are some tips when buying my first bike?

Here is what I know about them

Motorcycle 1
1. Naked SV650 2005
2. Cosmetic change to the rear fender
3. 27,000 miles
(First owner put 19,000 miles on it and second owner put 8,000 miles on)
4. No maintenance records because both owners said they are competent in maintaining a bike.
5. Clutch has not been replaced
6. According to owner it was never raced.
7. Asking price $2,800

Motorcycle 2
1. Naked SV650 2005
2. Has had after-market fairing attached and removed
3. 28,000 miles (only one owner)
4. Owner does not have maintenance records because he stated that he was competent in maintaining bike (Not his first he said).
5. Owner replace sprocket and chain because original was too loose
6. Owner stated that he never raced it but he did take it to the track.
7. Owner stated that it was dropped in a parking lot which is why there is a small dent on tank.
8. Asking price $3,400

Should I pick one or move on??

Your help is much appreciated,

Tribe77

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I have that bike and have to say it is pretty **** fast!!:biggrin: So if you like speed this bike can be fun! The only problem Im having right now is mine dosent like the rain and im hoping to find solution here, so I can fix it! Other than this problem I love mt bike!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I like the sound of the second one. People that don't maintain bikes well overlook chains and sprockets. This guy seems on the level. That is also a really great bike for you.
You may find some in your price range with fewer miles buying privately if you keep looking - they are a fairly common bike.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here for example is an '05 for $4000 on my local Caigslist:

Here is the cleanest, used SV650 you may ever see. Only 5400 miles, never been down, tipped over, scratched or abused. Has a Yoshimura stainless slip on muffler, Genuine Suzuki seat cowl, radiator shrouds, bellypan, rear hugger, Daytona superbike handlebars, bar end mirror, and new Continental tires. Also comes with OEM rear seat, grab bar, chain cover, mirrors, handlebars and more.

Also an '07 claiming low miles and never dropped for $4200

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BikeCycleMan,

Even though there is roughly 28,000 miles on the bike you think that it is still a good deal? That is the only sv650 I can find in my area and in a 75mile radius. Besides the first one.

67Fire (Eric),

What is the model of that bike in your forum picture? I like the look of it and would like to see some thing like that as well.

Tribe77

·
Banned
4,381 Posts
BikeCycleMan,

Even though there is roughly 28,000 miles on the bike you think that it is still a good deal? That is the only sv650 I can find in my area and in a 75mile radius. Besides the first one.

67Fire (Eric),

What is the model of that bike in your forum picture? I like the look of it and would like to see some thing like that as well.

Tribe77
2009 XR1200R, Not a bad beginner bike for a taller rider that has passed the MSF course AND has put a few thousand miles on a lighter bike.

About 70 HP and 55 Ft.Lbs. of torque.

Another pic:

Eric :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
OP if your budget is 3k'ish and you want a sporty bike that looks good I'd check out the 08+ Ninja 250r, any Ninja 500r, and the GS500f.

The GS500f is getting discounted pretty **** steeply from dealers these days, I forget specifics but I seem to remember someone saying $500 more than the 250r.

A used gs500f or newer 250r will have way, way less miles and probably been abused less.

·
Registered
131 Posts
OP if your budget is 3k'ish and you want a sporty bike that looks good I'd check out the 08+ Ninja 250r, any Ninja 500r, and the GS500f.

The GS500f is getting discounted pretty **** steeply from dealers these days, I forget specifics but I seem to remember someone saying $500 more than the 250r.

A used gs500f or newer 250r will have way, way less miles and probably been abused less.
Good advice there though you can find any bike with way less miles than those you are looking at. No reason I'm aware of that might suggest those models may have been abused less either.
See if you can find someone knowledgeable to check out your final choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tom,

Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to start looking for the GS500F today.

BikeCycleMan,

For sure, I will find someone way more knowledgeable about motorcycles than myself.

Tribe77

1 - 17 of 17 Posts