Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

So I am looking to get some new gear and had some questions. I just ordered a helmet and some Kevlar jeans. I know the jeans arent as safe as leather or other material pants with padding, but I want something I can wear around and not look like I just got off a bike.

What are some good jackets? I want something, again, that doesnt look super decked out in leather or anything. I do want some good upper body protection, but everything I am trying on is super padded in the shoulders and makes me look huge. I know its there to keep me safe, but again, I want safety with some style. I kind of like the look of the Scorpion Hat Trick jacket. Its an all weather jacket which I like. I want something breathable but warm in colder weather.

Any ideas of good brands, or anything else you may mention is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
In hot weather, a mesh jacket will provide the most airflow, and still have the padding for protection.

There are some textile jackets that have convertable parts, such as sleeves that are removable with mesh underneath and a zip-in liner for cooler weather. I use one of these all through the season and layer up under the jacket when it gets colder.

·
Challenged Mechanic
2,771 Posts
I just ordered a Sliders All Season 2 jacket. Kevlar in some places and CE armor. It has a mesh shell, a waterproof liner, and a thermal liner. There were a couple dozen reviews and all but one were four or five star. We'll see. Price was right ($179 at CompAcc.com but for some reason when I checked out it was $159 and when I looked on online banking it was $154, plus no shipping). In Florida, mesh is a must, but I also ride to where it gets pretty cold. I have been in sub 30 degree weather. Also, if you don't ride in the rain, then you don't ride in Florida for most of the summer. So I need a multiple purpose jacket. Can't afford two and if I could I would not want to pack an extra one for when the weather changes. I can post back here when I have done my Thursday ride in it (it is supposed to be here tomorrow) and give a report.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
you need that padding. its better to choose a jacket that is well made and will protect you in a slide - and fits well (comfortable). If you happen to also get "style" that's an added plus.

I wear a perforated leather jacket. that helps to some degree in warmer tamps - can wear it up to about 90 degrees. after that the weight of the leather is a killer and can't keep my body cool with it on.

but in colder temps I freeze without extra protection. been there - done that. the perforated leather lets a lot of air flow get to the body. if you are caught in an unexpected cold snap (cold air), you will pay for it. if I think that could be a possibility, I bring a vest that will break the wind and something warm (like fleece) and I'm prepared to put on both beneath my leather jacket.

cheers,
dT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts