Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I would like to say I have ABSOLUTELY no Riding experience on a motorcycle. I've done a whole bunch of research on bikes at this point and it's come down to 3 bikes. The FZ07, NINJA 650, and the FZ10. I like the 650 and the FZ07 but I've been heavily attracted to the FZ10. I know it's a 1000cc which is extreme overkill for a newbie just starting out but personally I've fallen in love with the FZ10. The look, sound, it's pretty much the bike I've always dreamt of having. Thoughts on the FZ 10 being my first bike? I'm having my first MSF course next weekend and from there I plan on purchasing my motorcycle now that I've acquired all of my gear. I don't plan on going anywhere near the streets until I'm confident I can drive well enough to be on the road with cars.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
All of those bikes are too much for a new rider.

I started on an '85 Sabre 700 (that dates me a bit ;) ) and it was too much bike. I spent too much time worrying about getting into the throttle too much and not enough time simply learning to ride. It stunted my growth as a rider, I wrecked it after 6 months, and it scared me away from riding for over 20 years.

If your dream bike is a 1000cc sport bike, my suggestion is a 4-bike progression. Start with a good used Ninja 250 (they are way more fun than you would think!!!), then move up to a 650 twin like an SV650, then a 600 inline 4, and finally your dream bike. You will have way more fun along the way and your skills will be WAY more advanced.

Lastly, there is a saying...it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. Not only is that monster a death wish for you, but it won't be nearly as much fun out of the gate.

·
American Legion Rider
21,150 Posts
@robertwiz852

It would sure be nice and appreciated, if you would introduce yourself to the community in the New Member Introduction forum. Folks tend to open up more if they believe they know someone just a little bit. 👍

·
7,480 Posts
Mr Nocturnal, pre-plan your Funeral to make it easier on your Family and people you love.

Falling in Love is easy but staying in love isn't, especially if you are seriously injured when the big Yammie or even the FZ7 get away from you. The Ninja 650 is benign and easily tamed but even it demands experience and respect.

Depending upon your physical size, any number of 300 to 400cc twin cylinder- mini crotch rockets would be a better choice or even a 250cc Standard for your first bike. Later, if you keep the bike unscathed, you can sell it and move up the ladder to a bigger and more powerful bike.

Also, considering this being your first bike and especially if you are a young rider, 18 to 30 years old or so, your MANDATORY insurance may be VERY costly, as in the $4,000 to $5,000 per year range---seriously.

Make an intelligent decision, have fun and be careful!

Sam:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Porky Well, I would say any bike you get on demands respect for the most part in some sense. I decided on the FZ 07. I'll give it a couple of years when I'm more experienced and probably go for something like an FZ10 then. If I get hurt on the bike it's due to my own carelessness. I do appreciate the feedback though.

·
Registered
921 Posts
The MT/FZ-10 is a great bike and you sound pretty realistic/mature for your age BUT... that is nowhere close to being a beginner friendly bike. It would be like throwing the keys of a track ready Porsche to a new driver and saying "Just be careful with the accelerator." 😆 There is soooo much that a new rider needs to learn and practice for at least a year or two! Having to worry about "rocket level" thrust will do nothing but, as Stablefull noted, stunt your development.

I will say that I think the 07 or the Ninja ARE decent starter bikes AND still have enough growth potential to keep things interesting as your skill set improves.

I'm not super experienced myself, but I have noticed more than a few riders who buy liter (or bigger) bikes and very clearly don't know how to ride them on the road or the track. And it sounds boring but it really is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to have a high HP bike and only be able to use 25% of it's potential...

·
7,480 Posts
FZ 07 is a good choice but it still has a lot of torque and will lift the front end in a heartbeat in the lower couple of gears!

Let us know how you like it if and when you get one.

Just for the fun of it, how old are you?

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
90 Posts
Maybe an overwhelming majority of opinions will convince you.... I'll add my vote. Get on craigslist or cycletrader and find yourself a used bike 450cc or smaller. After a couple thousand miles, you can sell it for just about what you paid for it and get your "dream bike". Bear in mind that even after a couple thousand miles, you're still a beginner - an advanced rider course would be a good idea once you're fairly comfortable with your abilities.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Porky I am 22 years young. I have read that that the FZ07 is great for wheelies and such so I would expect that it would be a tad touchy when it comes to the accelerator. I watched my friend start out on a Suzuki GSXR1000 and it got me wondering but at the same time I know he's just pushing his luck big-time with that bike. I'm not looking to make the same mistake that he has lol. When I watch him speed down the highway at 100+ MPH it looks fun but I know it won't be when he hits a car at that speed. I know if I'm just careful with the FZ07 and take my time with it and ride within my own limits I'll be fine. I own a Mustang GT. I get my Speed fix with that lol. Plenty enough for me lol.

·
Premium Member
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
810 Posts
Riding in a straight line is fine, but eventually you'll have to deal with a on/off ramp as highway speed. There's plenty of videos of kids hitting the wall because they can't turn, freeze up, try steering the bike which is counter productive. And while they're thinking about all that, sometimes their right hand doesn't cooperate.

Good luck, keep us posted! Most importantly, install an action camera for moments like these.

·
Visionary
3,633 Posts
Adding weight to the opinions here, PLEASE don't buy the FZ-10 as a first bike, you not only will probably get hurt or worse but you'll ruin a great piece of machinery and never learn to ride on it anyway . The 07 is better, but still a LOT of motorcycle to learn on. Do yourself a favor get a 300-400 size bike, cheap, used, and pre scratched and dented a bit so you can sell it for the same thing you paid for it after you learn to ride on it. Then get the 07 as a second bike. You'll learn faster and safer that way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@CRracer712 Yes. I've already watched plenty of videos on counter steering but at this point, I know it's not something I'll truly get until I start riding but I am aware that once you get above 15-30mph counter steering comes into play. I do want to say that I find it funny that he was riding an FZ07 lol. I've spent a good chunk of time watching people get in crashes just to learn the common mistakes people make just to hope I'll have enough evidence imprinted in my head to ALWAYS be careful and to never let my guard down. Good thing that guy is okay. Honestly thought he was dead at the beginning there.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
90 Posts
The FIRST thing you need to learn as a beginner is this: "You go where you look". In a "pucker" situation, it's an instinct to focus on what you're going to hit, which insures that you WILL hit it. Only after you have a ton of miles under your belt will you develop the ability to steer the bike independently of where you're looking.

·
Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
171 Posts
Yeah you definitely did way too much research have have way too much confidence. You'll murder yourself because you don't have the skill to back it up. No amount of youtube videos will even out to hours of riding experience. I can assure you, even on a beginner bike you are going to still have near-death experiences as a new rider; your question is basically the equivalent to asking "I've done a lot of research on Mclaren's but I've never drove a car yet but I will when I buy one, which one should I get?" It's completely ridiculous and you're getting in way over your head to quick. Go on craigslist, buy a $1000 motorcycle, and learn how to ride. Or buy a $10000 motorcycle that's probably going to kill you and scare you shitless, can't say we didn't warn ya. Motorcycle riding is a feeling, not a thought. If you're going too fast and you have to think about what the right move is you have to make and it's not already embedded in your muscle memory, you'll be road meat.

·
7,480 Posts
Robert as you can see we really are our 'Brother's keeper' here!!
You sound mature so just stay safe and learn in a Rural area if you can where it isn't as crowded with traffic!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
@Porky Well, I would say any bike you get on demands respect for the most part in some sense. I decided on the FZ 07. I'll give it a couple of years when I'm more experienced and probably go for something like an FZ10 then. If I get hurt on the bike it's due to my own carelessness. I do appreciate the feedback though.
This is the same justification we hear over and over again..."I'll respect the power." I wish you well.

PS...would you mind if I take out a big fat life insurance policy on you? I'm not joking.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts