Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been wanting to get a motorcycle for a while and I finally have the means to do it. Now I'm stuck trying to figure out what I actually want. I know for a fact that I want a cruiser. I've been looking around and the Yamaha V Star is calling to me. I'm not sure what size to get. This is going to end up being my main form of transportation so it has to have enough power to keep up on the highway. Some people have told me to go smaller and then once I'm comfortable to move up. Others have said to get the bike you want, take it slow for a few months and grow into it so you're not spending all the extra cash.

Along those lines, I found a V Star 1100 for a great price. It's absolutely beautiful but again, I really don't know all that much about it at this point.

Another problem I have is when to actually buy the bike. I'm going to take a motorcycle safety course in about a month. Would it be wise to buy the bike first so I have it to ride when I've got everything done or wait until afterwards?

I know I have more questions but they'll come to me later.

Any opinions?

I added another question further down.

·
Member Map
23,907 Posts
My opinion is that's it's a lot easier to learn on a smaller bike. Any of the starter bikes are excellent to learn to ride on quickly, safely and easily. They can usually be found used and sold for just about what you paid for them (or more) once you learn to ride competently.

Many people have learned to ride on bigger bikes. Some succeed, others fail. It's just harder and slower (and sometimes a lot more painful) to become a skilled rider on a heavy, high-horsepower machine. It's a lot better to learn the basics on something easy to handle then move on to a larger machine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just remembered another question. My fiance wants to start riding as well. We've both got just about the same amount of experience. She's worried that her legs may not be strong enough yet for us to share the same bike. Is there a bike that we could both learn on that could still keep up on the highway or should we look into getting her a bike to keep just around town and in the country?

·
Registered
645 Posts
If the two of you will "share" the same bike, it's got to fit both of you. Just buy to Rebel 250's! FYI I was passed by one on the freeway this morning, and I was doing the speed limit (70).

·
Member Map
23,907 Posts
It really doesn't take much strength to ride even the biggest bikes. It's all in the skills you gain from practice. Seat height is much more important for smaller riders. The rider should be able to sit on the seat and comfortably put both feet flat on the ground.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
Also, don't get caught up in the "buy what you want now and grow into it" BS. You can't grow into it if you're dead. Buy a couple used 250s to learn on. When you decide to move up (IF you decide, you may find out the 250s are perfect!) then you can sell them for what you paid for them, maybe even a bit more (250s are in high demand right now due to their excellent gas mileage).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the advice. The 1100 is now definitely out of the question. My only concern about a 250 is it being about to keep up with 80mph traffic without screaming on the RPMs. Do you think a 650 would be to much for a beginner?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I appreciate the advice. The 1100 is now definitely out of the question. My only concern about a 250 is it being about to keep up with 80mph traffic without screaming on the RPMs. Do you think a 650 would be to much for a beginner?
Ive got a VStar Classic 650.

No....its not to much.

650cc v-twin cruiser is NOT a powerful bike....not at all. The VStar 650 is rated at about 38 horsepower. It will run about 90ish, give or take. It doesnt have enough power to "get away" from you. Your not going to get the front wheel off the ground, ever.

in comparison....

A 600cc inline 4 sportbike IS a powerful bike. A GSXR600 is rated at about 120 horsepower. It will run over 150mph and get there in a hurry. I had my buddies doing 80mph in first gear....and wasnt even tagging the rev limiter. You can blip the throttle and easily lift the front wheel off the ground....in about every gear.

Dont get caught up on CCs. A 250cc Ninja will OWN a 650cc VStar.....and even an 833cc Harley Sportster.

So a 650cc VStar will be a great beginners bike.....heck I ride one daily and have over 20K miles on 2 wheels in the last year and a half and havent gotten "bored" with it yet......but I do have an old muscle bike (1000cc 4 cylinder) to hammer on when Im wanting more power.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Look at all the Bikes in the class you think you want. Go to the dealers Honda,Kawa,Suzuki,Yama. Sit on all of them and take your time. Comfort and how the balances should be your main concern. Sure one might appeal more to your eye than another but at this point that should not be the 1 or 2 criteria for choosing one over another. IMHO they are look pretty darn good and all can be tweaked cosmeticly down the road if you wanted.
IMHO any of the mid range cruisers are good starters from 500-900cc if they feel good to you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
if it helps i am a short rider. im 5'7" or so and the vstar 650 was a great fit, i can firmly plant my feet. This is my first bike and it handles very well and I think it will be a great bike for me to learn on and would recommend it. I do believe the same would go for just abouy any of the midsize cruisers, just sit on them and see which one feels more right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
on that note .i am looking at a vstar my self ,and i am too a beginner.
the bike is 8 years old with 90,000.
is that high kms ?

·
Banned
919 Posts
on that note .i am looking at a vstar my self ,and i am too a beginner.
the bike is 8 years old with 90,000.
is that high kms ?

I don't know that I wouldn't look at it but buying it would really require some thought as that's a lot of miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts