Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!! Im Eric and new to the forum, riding and bikes in general. Im 6 foot 270 and loosing(down 40lbs). Im looking at a bike to start on and the one I'm particulary looking at is a 2003 Suzuki SV650. It has less then 1500 miles and seller is asking for$3500. Is this a good bike to start on considering my weight and is the pricing right? Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
630 Posts
The Kelly Blue Book value for a 2003 SV650 is $2,300, so they're asking considerably more. I'd also be concerned about a 12 year old bike that's got only 1,500 on miles on it. That's barely 100 miles a year and bikes that sit tend to rot. The carbs get gunked up, batteries lose their charging capacity, tires get flat spots and need to be replaced, etc. What kind of riding do want to do and what's your budget?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Kelly Blue Book value for a 2003 SV650 is $2,300, so they're asking considerably more. I'd also be concerned about a 12 year old bike that's got only 1,500 on miles on it. That's barely 100 miles a year and bikes that sit tend to rot. The carbs get gunked up, batteries lose their charging capacity, tires get flat spots and need to be replaced, etc. What kind of riding do want to do and what's your budget?
Thanks for the reply Calucon. I defintly don't want to go over 4k for my first bike. More joy riding, cruising short distances, nothing to aggressive yet. My ultimate goal is to get a yamaha r6,cbr 600 or gsxr 600. I just don't see that i need one of those till i get a little more experienced.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Everyone!! Im Eric and new to the forum, riding and bikes in general. Im 6 foot 270 and loosing(down 40lbs). Im looking at a bike to start on and the one I'm particulary looking at is a 2003 Suzuki SV650. It has less then 1500 miles and seller is asking for$3500. Is this a good bike to start on considering my weight and is the pricing right? Thanks in advance for any input!
I would be worried about the lack of miles on a 12-13 year old bike. You are talking about 105 miles per year and to me that is just a whole lot of sitting for a bike, which shouldn't be sitting. The SV650 only retailed for around $6,000 (base) back in 2003, and they are asking for basically double of what it is worth right now. Granted with the low miles I get that, but again, low miles isn't always a good thing, especially that old.

With all that being said, it was a great bike back in 2003 and it is fuel injected, which at least means you don't have to worry about the carbs needing to be rebuilt for sitting in gas for a while. I don't think I would pay 3K for a bike that is only shown at being $1,500 if it was sold by a dealership. Check out the used bike checklist (sticky at the top of the threads) and follow that as much as possible.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the reply Calucon. I defintly don't want to go over 4k for my first bike. More joy riding, cruising short distances, nothing to aggressive yet. My ultimate goal is to get a yamaha r6,cbr 600 or gsxr 600. I just don't see that i need one of those till i get a little more experienced.
The gsxr 600 aren't really bad for new riders, as long as you just don't do idiotic things. If you check out craigslist you will see TONS of people selling their 500 or 250 (laughs) because they bought it and 3 weeks later they are upset they bought something that really was a waste of money. Now they are stuck in a new bike with a 4 - 5k note and no one wants to buy it from them for more than 2k. A 600 is easy to ride, responsive, and if that is your goal to ride, why waste money on something you will just lose money on in a few months to a year?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The gsxr 600 aren't really bad for new riders, as long as you just don't do idiotic things. If you check out craigslist you will see TONS of people selling their 500 or 250 (laughs) because they bought it and 3 weeks later they are upset they bought something that really was a waste of money. Now they are stuck in a new bike with a 4 - 5k note and no one wants to buy it from them for more than 2k. A 600 is easy to ride, responsive, and if that is your goal to ride, why waste money on something you will just lose money on in a few months to a year?
I consider myself as a responsible individual. I most defiantly will have respect for any machine i end up getting. As far as 250 or 300, all my buddies have said the same thing, "your going to outgrow it pretty quick".. That being said, i guess ill go with my original intention and get a 600.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I consider myself as a responsible individual. I most defiantly will have respect for any machine i end up getting. As far as 250 or 300, all my buddies have said the same thing, "your going to outgrow it pretty quick".. That being said, i guess ill go with my original intention and get a 600.
Depends on where you live and how far you are willing to drive and how long you are willing to wait for a good deal. If you live near a military base sometimes you can catch a terrific deal with someone about to be deployed and they just want to pay off their bike since they will be gone and not be able to drive it. Some of the bikes have a Sport 600 -650 and also a super sport 600 650. The GSXR just comes one way which is a SS. So which are you looking to do? I am guessing SS, which will run higher in cost.

First things first, where are you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depends on where you live and how far you are willing to drive and how long you are willing to wait for a good deal. If you live near a military base sometimes you can catch a terrific deal with someone about to be deployed and they just want to pay off their bike since they will be gone and not be able to drive it. Some of the bikes have a Sport 600 -650 and also a super sport 600 650. The GSXR just comes one way which is a SS. So which are you looking to do? I am guessing SS, which will run higher in cost.

First things first, where are you?
I live in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.. which happens to be a big biking community and Fort Bragg isn't to far away. Although, I'm from cincinnati, OH and seem to see better prices on craigslist their. I have a truck and a enclosed 6X12 trailer and i frequently travel the east coast for work. I guess i can't give you a exact answer to your question for which one, because i haven't sat on any of them. I plan to do this on monday when i get back in town(currently in NY). However, I'm really attracted to the white silver and blue 08 gsxr.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I live in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.. which happens to be a big biking community and Fort Bragg isn't to far away. Although, I'm from cincinnati, OH and seem to see better prices on craigslist their. I have a truck and a enclosed 6X12 trailer and i frequently travel the east coast for work. I guess i can't give you a exact answer to your question for which one, because i haven't sat on any of them. I plan to do this on monday when i get back in town(currently in NY). However, I'm really attracted to the white silver and blue 08 gsxr.
Well, you might have to look around a lot if you want to find an 08 under $4k and then definitely check it for hidden damage. Regardless of how, where, or when you find the bike, make sure you get the vin#, call the tag office in that local area and run the vin through them. They can tell you if the title has been salvaged, if the registration is current, if there is current insurance, and possibly how many owners it has had. Cali has a "law" that if the bike has a lapsed registration and the owner sells the bike, the new owner incurs the dept of the lapsed registration fee, as well as the new registration fees.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, you might have to look around a lot if you want to find an 08 under $4k and then definitely check it for hidden damage. Regardless of how, where, or when you find the bike, make sure you get the vin#, call the tag office in that local area and run the vin through them. They can tell you if the title has been salvaged, if the registration is current, if there is current insurance, and possibly how many owners it has had. Cali has a "law" that if the bike has a lapsed registration and the owner sells the bike, the new owner incurs the dept of the lapsed registration fee, as well as the new registration fees.
Yea the 08 is going to be hard to find. I did find one i liked and what seems to be a good deal. Its an 06, all stock gsxr 600 with 11500 miles for $4500. Guy has a TON of pictures and he says its never been down.
He posted a receipt that it had a tune-up "a complete once over tune up 598$ , all fluids, oil change, new voltage regulator, new stator"..Thats a great idea about getting the vin checked and ill defintly do that.

Edit; It says clean title in the post as well..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yea the 08 is going to be hard to find. I did find one i liked and what seems to be a good deal. Its an 06, all stock gsxr 600 with 11500 miles for $4500. Guy has a TON of pictures and he says its never been down.
He posted a receipt that it had a tune-up "a complete once over tune up 598$ , all fluids, oil change, new voltage regulator, new stator"..Thats a great idea about getting the vin checked and ill defintly do that.

Edit; It says clean title in the post as well..
A New stator at 11500? I mean things fail, that is what happens with machines. I just always think its odd when they fail so quikly. Had a friend with an 06 GSXR and he replaced his stator around 17k I think, so they do go bad. I always like people that keep stock things, it typically means they weren't trying to get it tricked out to show off like dumb asses. This bike sounds like something that might be what you are looking for. Would definitely take a closer look at it. If your friends ride (I assume they do since you said they told you that you would get tired off a smaller CC) then I would take them to check out the bike with you and ride it to gauge how it feels. That is if it isn't too far away from you and them. If nothing else, they could tell some stories about close calls and maybe some hard rising and see how the seller responds. Might trick him into saying something like show boating and ragging it out a bit.

Just bought my wife a motorcycle tonight, so now I am looking around for a new one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A New stator at 11500? I mean things fail, that is what happens with machines. I just always think its odd when they fail so quikly. Had a friend with an 06 GSXR and he replaced his stator around 17k I think, so they do go bad. I always like people that keep stock things, it typically means they weren't trying to get it tricked out to show off like dumb asses. This bike sounds like something that might be what you are looking for. Would definitely take a closer look at it. If your friends ride (I assume they do since you said they told you that you would get tired off a smaller CC) then I would take them to check out the bike with you and ride it to gauge how it feels. That is if it isn't too far away from you and them. If nothing else, they could tell some stories about close calls and maybe some hard rising and see how the seller responds. Might trick him into saying something like show boating and ragging it out a bit.

Just bought my wife a motorcycle tonight, so now I am looking around for a new one.

Congrats on the new bike! Unfortunately, all my buddies that ride live in Cincinnati, OH(where i moved from 6 months ago). When i get back in town I'm going to go take a look at it and report back. Thanks for the help and tips. Much appreciated!!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I have an '04 SV650 and l can tell you that blue book might be $2300 but actually finding one that isn't all busted up for that price is a whole other story, at least in my area. I have no doubt that l could get $3500 for my bike pretty easily, and probably $4000 if l was patient.

I will agree though that 1500 miles is really low. I was a little bit concerned that my bike only had 5000 miles when l bought it, but thus far it has been great.

Also, is the bike you are looking at the S model or the naked model? In Seattle the S model tends to fetch about $500 more.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Sv650

The Suzuki has better low end power than the four cylinder 600 cc bikes.
It would be easier to ride for you. Having to keep the revs up with the four cylinder bikes gets boring real quick. If the bike checks out okay, I would not be too concerned about the lack of miles. More often folks ask, is 25,000 miles too many?
And please pursue Hawk's question. there are two models of the 650 Suzuki twin, and one single.

Unkle Crusty* Ex 003 SV650S owner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you go on eBay and type in sv650, it's the silver one in Ashton, PA. I was looking at that one and I actually happen to go right past that city on my way home. It is the "S" model, but I think I'm going to stick with a 600 to start out on. Thanks for all the input guys. I will let you know what I decide on sometime next week

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
A 600cc supersport is bad news for a new rider. It really has NOTHING to do with your maturity level, and EVERYTHING to do with your lack of muscle memory while starting out motorcycling. Supersports are no compromise machines that are more at home on a racetrack than on the street. Not only is the engine performance not newbie friendly, but the brakes are going to be much higher performance items than what the SV650 has, and will put your butt on the pavement just as quickly as the throttle will. Do yourself a favor and pick up a machine that will actually help you learn. A new rider should never have to fight their bike while learning...

·
Registered
46 Posts
A 600cc supersport is bad news for a new rider. It really has NOTHING to do with your maturity level, and EVERYTHING to do with your lack of muscle memory while starting out motorcycling. Supersports are no compromise machines that are more at home on a racetrack than on the street. Not only is the engine performance not newbie friendly, but the brakes are going to be much higher performance items than what the SV650 has, and will put your butt on the pavement just as quickly as the throttle will. Do yourself a favor and pick up a machine that will actually help you learn. A new rider should never have to fight their bike while learning...
Guess there will always be varying opinions. Coming from getting my first bike and it being a 600 and it taking me 15 mins to learn, then riding it 18K miles before selling it with no downs, I am coming from a different outlook. I've known experienced riders of 20 years that showboat and wreck, or a guy who had been riding for years then bought 3 different bikes and wrecked them all within 2 weeks of getting them (He just shouldn't be on bikes).

Then I have known people that bought a 600 GSXR and a 750 GSXR as first bikes and never had a down or wreck, at least not as long as I knew them (so their first 5 years of riding). The guy with a 600 had a dad that rode, so he was taught by him. The guy with the 750 though went and got his permit, went to a dealer, bought the bike, and learned to drive it on his way home on the busiest street in my old city. Sure that isn't something I would have done, but the fact remains it does happen without incident.

Now, let me put a stipulation in here. If you think you are going to get this bike and just be comfortable being all in a bunch of traffic, that might be an issue. After I learned to ride I made sure I went out and hit a lot of back roads and went slower, especially around curves, until I knew I had the hang of riding. I didn't go on the interstate for a few months. When I finally did go on the interstate though, I took a 3 hour trip for a weekend getaway. I didn't have a passenger until my second season. I was okay learning with only me, but I wasn't about to put someone else on there with me.

My main outlook is that if he gets a smaller bike (and at his weight that bike is going to be ****) then he has to turn around and spend more money to get a bigger bike and chances are he isn't going to be able to sell his smaller bike for what he bought it for. People that are 130 ponds will get a 500, talk it up like it is hot ****, then a month later be trying to sell it only to piss and moan that they should have started bigger.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
To each their own. I commend you and your friends for starting with such powerful machines and having success from the beginning. I also think it is somewhat irresponsible suggesting that a newcomer start with a bike that has 125 horsepower. People have 17 times higher chance of crashing a motorcycle than they do a car. I think this would be significantly lower if people started on starter bikes rather than starting on racing bikes. For every guy who started on a Gixxer and never crashed it there are ten guys who ended up in trouble.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
And another guy.

Bought a CB750 in North Vancouver and crashed and died at the Second Narrows bridge 2 miles away. And another guy bought a bike and did a wheelie across the street from the bike shop and hit a car side on, and another guy exited via the back ally and did a wheelie along the side of the back wall. I could go on all day. Us guys that have worked in bike shops have seen it all.

As a salesman you say " He seemed like a nice responsible young man, how was I to know he was a dip stick, or robbed the store to get the money "
These days if you do not provide adequate warning, you get sued for not providing guidance. A 600 sport bike is not the right bike for a new rider.

A bit different if the person has been riding a 45 hp 450 dirt bike for a few years.
Unkle Crusty*

1 - 20 of 22 Posts