Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I just bought a 95 Suzuki GSX600F heard some clicking on take off and determined chain was loose.

I had a mechanic tighten it (yes, I hear it's easy, but I wanted a pro to do it first time out) and made a huge difference.

A week later, it's loose again. Did he not tighten it correctly or is this more than likely the sign of a bigger issue?

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
It's possible that it wasn't tightened correctly, or that the chain or sprockets are just too worn and need to be replaced. Take a close look at the chain and both sprockets to see if they are worn. The chain should only deflect so much when pushed in the center. Check the manual for the proper measurement for a quick determination as to if it's in spec. The chain should also be lubed regularly, about every 300 miles or so, for proper longevity of the parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dodsfall. I checked and the chain actually seems fine, but I'm getting that heavy clicking I got when it was loose. I'm guessing the sprockets are slipping?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Clicking can be caused by a few things.

1. Chain too loose and its bouncing off something like the frame.
2. Sprockets worn - hooked teeth will make a click noise when the chain is pulled free as it rotates.
3. Chain stretched - If the chain links are stretched, it wont match up on the sprocket correctly, and the clicking is the noise the chain will make when it is forced into the sprocket.

On most bikes the chain is supposed to have about a inch of free play. Too tight, and it the tension can cause damage to the engine shaft, bearings, sprockets, and the chain.
Too loose, and it can slap around or snap. If the chain snaps...it will probably shred the crankcase when it balls up around the front sprocket.

Check the sprockets first. The teeth should be straight, not curved or hooked. If they are curved or hooked, replace the sprockets.

Check the chain. Raise up the rear wheel, put the bike in neutral with the engine off. Rotate the rear wheel by hand...watch and listen to the chain...if it clicks or a sprocket tooth snags a link on the top....replace the chain.

Finally make sure once you fix it that the chain is adjusted properly, and that the axle bolts are tightened to specs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts