Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey so i plan on getting a bike to use like a daily comuter in like late spring summer and fall to go back and forth to work and every so often to events in the local area i will be about driving 78 miles a day and i was thinking about get a yammaha v 250 for a good staring bike and daily comuter but does any one else have opions on this im still kinda new to this

·
Visionary
3,961 Posts
I agree, it's a good starter but it won't cut it for a highway commute, you probably want something a bit bigger. If you like that style of bike then look at slightly larger cruisers in the 500-800 size range, check out a few and see which ones you like the look and feel of then come back and we can help you choose between them. That size bike will keep up with interstate traffic well enough and is still small enough to be a first bike for most people.

·
Mod/Motorcyclist/ Trucker/ Deplorable
1,213 Posts
Are you looking at cruiser styling? I would assume so from your example. Anything works really, if you wait a few more months you will have a huge assortment of bikes people selling off for the winter. Anything less than 500cc will struggle to keep up on the highway in certain areas. For years I love small CC bikes for beginners, but recently in my life I tend to preach learning and knowing when not to twist the throttle more than CC size. The biggest barriers you will run in to is insurance and taxes on the bigger bikes more so than the actual bike, unless it is considered a "sportbike" if you have any self control get into a 600-850cc maybe even a 1000 if you really have control. The problem is most don't have that control over target fixation and a larger CC bike of any style can freak you right into the side of something ending your life as you know it or completely all together. My favorite commuter was an old CX500 Interstate aka the original SilverWing. It would competently do the highways at 75mph and would do the city easily. It was top heavy and I had a few people pull out in front of me (When I was in the Denver Area), with out experience it could have caused me to dump it. I have been riding since I was 13 and everytime I go out I run into something that could have been life altering, it could be experienced or I just might be lucky or both. Best bikes fro commuting are not any of smokers and none of the Chi-coms. A good used Japanese bike or a well taken care of used Harley. Something that will not be heavy for you to handle and maneuver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts