Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I hope I put this in the right thread I've rode a lil when I was younger and now that I'm older I want a bike as does my daughter, I want a Honda cruiser and she wants a crotch rocket ninga. She wants to buy a wrecked one as do I and fix it up right she will 16 next yr and wants a winter project so I can give it to her on her bday. So my question is this what are some good sites that sale wrecked motorcycles for a fair price? I'm in wv.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
eBay or Craigslist.. Those would be my first.looks..

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
STRONGLY recommend that you DO NOT DO THIS.

If my daughter wanted to ride a bike, the LAST THING I would do is to buy a bike that had been in a wreck. I would buy her the SAFEST bike that I could possibly afford.

AND since you are her Dad - I seriously say the same things to you. You need to be SAFE too. She needs you!

If you want to pursue your idea - buy a wreck, fix it up (together) and then sell it to another person. That way you work together, and you have the satisfaction of teaching her to work hard and make money. And if you fail, who cares??

good luck!!
dT

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
.........and THEN, you use the money from the sale of the bike you both fixed up, to find a bike that BOTH of you can use!!

-soupy

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Your daughter is 16, which probably means she has never ridden a motorcycle, or has done so only a short time (unless of course she has been riding off road as a child). And a new rider buying a "crotch rocket" is pretty much asking for trouble. She may want a sport bike, but it would be smarter to ride a standard or a cruiser until she has some miles and riding wisdom under her belt. While you are looking for bikes, I also suggest that BOTH of you sign up for some basic riding training from an MSF program or any responsible riding program. It would be time and money well spent, and who knows, maybe after riding a nice 250 cc bike in training your daughter will want something like that to get started with?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Maybe instead of a wreck you could just get an old bike? They always need a lot of work.

My first bike was a 1986 Honda Interceptor 500, and it was the perfect bike for a new rider who wanted a sport bike. A Ninja 500 would also work great.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Why does repairing/rebuilding a wrecked bike make it unsafe? Look at the restored bikes on this forum... most better than new!

Rebuilding a bike will also give that person a heckuva lot more knowledge of their bike than those who just buy and ride.

·
8,606 Posts
Buy the wrecked one and do not fix it up because it unfortunately will be wrecked again, statistically speaking, in short order I'm sorry to say:frown:

Please don't subject your Daughter to this unless she has lots of dirt riding experience and has her head on right. Lots of 16 year olds certainly don't.

There are lots of accidents and terrible injuries and deaths in Southwest Missouri in the 16-18 year old age groups and 9 out of 10 weren't even smart enough to put their seatbelt on which probably would have save serious injury or death.

My first cousins Grand son, a fine just turned 18 year old young man, overturned his van on the way to work yesterday when he swerved to avoid a Cow in the road. NO Seatbelt was in use and the van rolled on his left arm and basically ripped it off and it had to be amputated.:icon_mad:

If you live in the country like I do then maybe both of you can learn and relearn together in a relatively safe environment, away from most traffic. Just watch out for stray animals.

I pray for yours and your Daughters safety.:wink:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm just looking for ideas here I do know she has ridin a lil in the past. By the way I didn't know about her until march she found me and we did DNA so she is mine. I do like the idea of fixing up in older bike but don't want one to old. She said she wants to bond with me and the bike idea has mine. So we can ride together . I did say that we both will take a riding course and she agreed the harly shop here does it.

·
8,606 Posts
Congratulations finding your Daughter;)

It sounds like you'll take care of her:)

Sam:biggrin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts