Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals,
I haven't ridden in awhile but have owned 4 or 5 bikes in the past (15yrs ago) I am looking into buying a 2005 Honda Shadow aero and am curious if that has the guts to pull me and my lady around I am 6'0 205# and she is 5'2 and not quite as much but just big enough. Will this be enough bike we will use mostly for weekend rides and an occasional overnighter we are located in the western mountains of South Carolina and will be riding for pleasure. I am going to take the MSF course in 2 weeks and am actively looking for a bike. Any input on the bike or size would be appreciated. This is a great web sight I have learned a lot already. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,326 Posts
Before I purchased my bike, I did a complete search and checked out all the info I could on specs and reviews. A 750cc should take you and a passenger without too much of a problem, I have a 650cc and sometimes my bf and I will take it out together...but I think mine would struggle on mountains with two up. Remember though you will also have stuff packed for weekend trips, bags and such...that adds to your weight too.

Good luck with your MSF course too!

just an FYI...here is a spec site...with info on that bike...in case you need more info...;)http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2005models/2005models-Honda-ShadowAero.htm

·
Registered
471 Posts
I was in my local bike shop last week & a guy came in to drop his 750 Shadow off for service. He told me he bought it new last year & put 16,000 miles on it. He said he rides it to work everyday & from what he told me he does a mix of expressway & surface street riding. He said he changed the seat out to encourage his wife to ride with him, but so far she hasn't ridden with him much. Here in Detroit the roads are relatively flat-no hills or mountains, so the 750's good. Personally if I were going to do 2 up riding in hilly areas I'd get something a little bigger-but that's just me. I had a Honda cb750 at one time & it was OK for an occassional 2 up ride (my wife didn't like to ride too much back then & still doesn't) I really like the bike I have now-Suzuki S83. 1400cc's that puts out alot of torque. My daughter & I have taken it out regularly last season & the bike really doesn't know, power wise, if there's 1 or 2 people on it. I'm 180 lbs and my daughter is about 125 lbs. From what I've seen there's alot of good deals on Honda Shadows. They had a new one on the floor that could be had for around $6000 out the door. They're really trying to get rid of the bike's that are left because snowmobile season's right around the corner. Nobody wants to pay interest on motorcycles over the winter. The seat looked kind of uncomfortable for a passenger, so if it were me I'd probably change the seat out for passenger comfort.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
I am looking into buying a 2005 Honda Shadow aero
If that's a 750, it might be a little weak for what you want.
I think you will probably not be real happy with anything in a V-twin of less than 900-1100 cc's.
No need to get carried away though. I personally thing that anything above 1400 or so is just a waste.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
If your planning on doing a lot of 2up riding, My personal recomendation would be either a 1300 VTX or something of the equivolant. Where as you have ridden before, I do not believe that the 1300 would be too much bike, as long as you take the time to practice with it for a bit, then spend a little time riding solo.

I personally feel that the stock 750 class bikes to be a bit light for extended 2up riding, Too light in power (low end torque) and too light in weight.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, Thanks thats a lot of good info. I kinda feel a 750 maybe small also but we will probably be riding on weekends mostly I am really turned on by the looks and sounds of the V-twin I suppose I will have to move up bigger when we start riding more which I am really siked up for.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to check into the 1300 vtx wheras my girlfriend says she wants to go all the time when I get my bike, Do you think that is too big when solo riding (maybe dumb question) thanks for all the feed back it is a big help where I am ready to get the bike soon.

·
Registered
471 Posts
No a 1300 isn't too big for solo riding. I rode my 1400 solo until I felt confident enough to take a passenger. I would advise you to do the same. Don't take a passenger out riding until you're ready.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
For me, a 1300 would not be too big for solo riding. And if I could get the pegs moved back a little, I think it would be a very comfortable bike for me.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
And if I could get the pegs moved back a little, I think it would be a very comfortable bike for me.
If you find something that will DO that......put a second set of pegs farther back for highway use, more like a standard, please let me know. I would pay a LOT of money for something like that.........but I have no interest in floorboards.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've got an 04 Aero and we do 2up riding all the time up into the Colorado mountains. I have had it up to around 90mph 2up as well on level highway.
While I only weigh in at around 160 and the "Boss" is just under 120 I have heard of Aero owners who go over 200+ ridding 2up and love the bike.
It is a great bike to get back into riding.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey thanks everyone some good info again I will see about the pegs being moved back farther Also I am curious about why you don't care for footboards (Easy Rider 2 ) they looked interesting but maybe drag on ground or get in the way when stopped perhaps? also i was wondering about the toe/heal shifter and any comments good or bad I have never tried them but it sounds interesting. I am getting psyched and still looking at different bikes My job took me over seas for the next two weeks so i will have to wait again. But I feel the fire burning.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Also I am curious about why you don't care for footboards (Easy Rider 2 ) they looked interesting but maybe drag on ground or get in the way when stopped perhaps?
Yes. Too much different. Different shifter, different brake pedal useage, and looks strange on a fairly small bike.

I figure that when I get to the point where I really NEED something like floorboards, I will get some.......and put an extra wheel on the back at the same time. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Floorboards are great, BUT they limit your turning radius on curvy roads and some sharp in town rides.

I ride a Intruder 1500. If I had a choice right now, I'd go no larger than a 1100 to 1200. The power is a bit more with the 1500, but I really don't need it and the fuel usage is significantly more.

There are a number of considerations you need to look at and these are just a few.

CD

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thats a beautiful bike Mnt Shadow
Thanks Bcruisin, We love it though I do need to get some updated pics, Recently added a Valk studded pillion and added studs to the drivers seat to match. Looks awesome IMO.

When I was shopping for a bike not having floorboards was probably the #1 criteria. I have always ridden bikes with pegs and after 30+ years of not riding I didn't think I would be comfortable with boards and the Aero was the only classic cruiser with pegs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info on floor boards I am really leaning away from the idea I think they will just be a nuisance. I have been researching the Aero and really love it I like the reliability but am wondering if I should be looking at other brands I feel I am not being totally objective even though I am happy with the Aero is there other brands that are similar in price and quality?

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Hi Guys and Gals,
I haven't ridden in awhile but have owned 4 or 5 bikes in the past (15yrs ago) I am looking into buying a 2005 Honda Shadow aero and am curious if that has the guts to pull me and my lady around I am 6'0 205# and she is 5'2 and not quite as much but just big enough. Will this be enough bike we will use mostly for weekend rides and an occasional overnighter we are located in the western mountains of South Carolina and will be riding for pleasure. I am going to take the MSF course in 2 weeks and am actively looking for a bike. Any input on the bike or size would be appreciated. This is a great web sight I have learned a lot already. Thanks
Based on what I'd been told by Yamaha VStar 650 riders, a comparable bike, the 750 should do fine. You'll just have to downshift a bit sooner going up hills and mountains, maybe tap down a gear or two for a quick pass of a car/truck. Physically the bike can do it all. 40 years ago 750 was "THE BIG ONE", now it seems that everyone wants to call them "girlie bikes" and "starters". It's all about attitude and ego, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just that attitude and ego can mislead.

In asking 650 owners so I could learn more about the bike for sales purposes, I only had one rider tell me he was going to switch bikes and that was to an 1100 because he wanted one. He said the 650 did it all just fine, he just plain wants an 1100 for the power. Another older gent told me he does two up riding with his wife on his 650 Silverado or equipped as such - bags and windshield. He said he rides with a bunch of riders on bigger bikes, that he may downshift a bit sooner going up hill and drop a gear to pass, but there is no problem keeping up with everyone. None of them ever said they NEEDED more power. The only people that need that extra power are those that don't want to bother shifting... and that's fine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Mark, I am now looking into the 1100shadow spirit mainly because of frame size the extra HP won't hurt either. I am overseas at the moment so I have a little extra time to figure it out but not able to actually sit on anything I am on a boat (no bikes here) but the shadow looks very interesting and will try to look at a few when i get home for now though trying to get it figured out (which Bike that is )

1 - 20 of 30 Posts