Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just wanted to drop in and say hi. I'm starting to poke around in these forums and wanted to introduce myself.

I rode dirt bikes as a kid and then wasn't on a motorcycle for 30 plus years before taking my MSF course last summer. Bought a 2004 Honda Shadow Sabre in the fall and then it proceeded to be the wettest winter in the history of Charlotte, NC so I didn't get much practice until now. Trying to get out and about and get better as a rider. Just thought I'd say hi. Might be asking for advice from folks soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Welcome! Thanks for the pic! Nice bike for sure!

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
WELCOME ABOARD, and...

Other members do like to know they are welcoming a real person so thanks
for letting us know a little about yourself.:smile: Normally just a few more
posts(count of 3) and the rest of the site will open to you. This is the sites
spambot control. Unfortunately it is needed today.

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us:grin:

·
Visionary
5,407 Posts
Welcome and your not the only one that took a short 30 year hiatus from riding before coming back to the iron horse.

·
On The Road Again!
4,341 Posts
Nice bike!
And it was just as wet up here in New Jersey last year.
And so far, this year hasn't been much better.
Welcome to the group.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Good looking bike -- like many I've had a break or two (welcome to the club...). Pretty much always had a bike except when I was overseas, but they didn't always run...

-- Larry

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,658 Posts
Nice bike, welcome to the site.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I followed the same path, dirt bikes as a kid and didn't start street riding until I was 40ish. Nice looking bike. The good news is you are only a few hours from some really good mountain roads once you get more experience. Welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice bike, and yes it did rain a lot in the Charlotte area last year. I am from Rock Hill, so not far from you. I got my current bike last spring and it spent a lot of time in a borrowed storage area at my mom's house until like march of this year. Have been out a bunch since then though! Charlotte is not the easiest area to ride, but get out of town a bit and there is a lot of open areas to enjoy! I have kinda been looking for some sort of meetup in the south charlotte/pineville area. Have not seen much as of yet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I like your bike! I hope find a good deal on a similar bike! I am 2 hours up I85 from you; I may be shooting you some PMs with questions (I haven't been on bike in WAY too long). QUESTION- Any majors problems or regrets starting with 750? Right now I am leaning towards that size for my 1st....

·
Registered
14 Posts
It seems like a lot of folks share your story. Dirtbikes when younger, then after decades, you decide to get back into it...I'm one of them. Welcome to the forums and back to riding. Great looking bike.
I wish I had that story, but everyone is different, my Mom wouldn't let me near anything 2 wheeled and motorized, lol. I am late 30's and didn't start on 2 wheels at all until I was around 30. I rode a dirtbike one time for about a 1/2 mile when I was a teenager. was much more comfortable on a quad, than a dirtbike. Now I am looking at dirtbikes and dual sports as I think it would be cool to be on the dirt and trail ride a bit.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Welcome from Arkansas. I like the Shadow as a starter bike for anyone past their young and dumb years. Easy to ride, big enough for the highway, relatively low maintenance and very reliable. Its a good cruiser or add a windshield, bags and a rack and go visit Montana. It's versitileeeeeee.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Welcome. I pretty much share your story. I am 71 now. I took a long leave from riding when my wife saw my bike on the side of the road after a deer jumped over a coop (lived in fox hunting country) and collided with my windshield. We had babies then, scared her to death. I made matters worse, was so pissed I was out in the field chasing a deer running on three legs so she didn't see me. I don't know what I would have done if I had caught it, good thing I didn't. I got another bike about 10 years ago that I restored into a sport touring bike. My old dirt training kicked in and absolutely saved my life on the street, after all those years of not riding. Some fool stopped in the middle of an intersection for absolutely no reason, no one in front of him, traffic in the oncoming lane and lane beside me. no where to go, no room to stop. Imagine sliding sideways fairly upright on a Suzuki GS1000. I clutched in and ended up stopped almost parallel to the wide white line for the stoplight, put my foot down stayed upright. The GS1000 is not a light bike at all. It felt so natural that I wasn't even particularly upset, lucky there was no one behind me. If I had even thought about it I would have gone over the top of his car. You never forget your dirt training! Happy safe riding. :smile_big:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts