Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new rider, been a member here since before I purchased my bike and before getting endorsed. Now that everything is legal and I have my first bike, are there any tips for pre ride inspections? I manually check the brakes and all of the lighting, but should I be checking fluids before EVERY ride? I know there's oil... but is there coolant to check? Brake or clutch fluid? I apologize if this sounds absurd to some of the more experienced riders, but if I don't learn from you, then I'm not learning at all. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

:icon_cool:

·
Registered
99 Posts
IF you know your bike eats up any of the particular fluids then you should check them every ride. Otherwise every other week should suffice.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yeah- depends on your bike and how well you know it.
I always recommend changing the fork oil when you get a used bike. many people never do and it effects your front end.
Brake fluid- if it's up to the line and isn't brown (should be clear) you're good to go. I like to change brake fluid once a year because it absorbs moisture from the air.
Engine oil I check maybe once a week, but all that depends on how many miles you put on, too. Just check it once a day for a while until you get a notion of whether or not it's losing any, or not. Then you're probably good for just once a week. Change your oil with motorcycle-specific oil AT LEAST every 3K miles. Sooner is good.
Tranny oil I would change, too. It's good for many miles (you DID get a manual for your bike?), or once a year.
Chain oil; I oil about evry 300 miles, but more if I'm in the rain or very dusty conditions. Right now there's lots of salty sandy junk that gets tossed up in the air left over from snow clearing. Bad stuff- for everything. Also put a new airfilter in. Anyway. for the chain I have a couple of soup cans, brushes, and a cookie time. I spray my chain lube in a soup can and apply it with a brush so it doesn't spray all over the engine, tire and floor. The cookie tin catches drips. About every 1,000 miles I bring home about 50 cents worth of kerosine and clean the chain by soaking it in the kerosine and letting it drip into the cookie time. Wipe it real good and let it dry before lubing again.

Cables; take the evers out and LOOK at them for fraying cables. New cables are lined with Teflon and don't need lubing. Old cables I dribble 3-IN-1 oil in there. Put a little grease in the pivot points of the cable and levers. Using a LOT of greas is just going to hold dirt in there.

Tires; I can't begine to tell you how many experienced riders totally ignore their tires. LOOK at the tread all around, check the air pressure every couple of days. Tire pressure effects handling and wear. Proper tread is safer in wet conditions, too.

Never had a liquid cooled bike, but I imagine it like anything else; look for cracked or dry-rotted rubber and any drips. Probably wouldn't kill you to change that fluid, too. Ask your shop or check the manual for a good type of fluid (some types are strictly for racing apps- which isn't especially better for you).

Besides your manual, there are tips/"how to's" at Dan's Motorcycle Repair and even on You Tube.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts