Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first motorcycle after having taken the MSF. The bike I purchased was the 09 vulcan 500 at a dealer. I am 215 lbs. and am 5'7.... so short and heavier lol..... there is a special going on through the dealership that if you bring back your new bike within six months and it is still in like new condition you can trade it up for a bigger bike.

On a side note the reason why i picked the picked 500 was because I will be doing highway riding, and my feet could touch so i felt like I had more control over the bike. I personal would rather own a sportbike. I love the look, and sound, and not so much how you have to sit... but regardless something easily i could overcome.

With this said I am on tippytoes when i sit on the ninja 650r. and when i am on the cbr 600 same story but almost worse.... plus leaning forward more which is less comfy. after spending a couple good hours on the new bike i purchased, i came to the realization that the bike with my wieght didnt really have the power speed or handling that i was looking for ... i know i want to handle corners like a cbr 600 they are so fun.... but i dont know what bike to purchase....

I am personally considering options but am not to fond of lowering kits or mods that will affect the bike ... maybe lowering the spring for suspension but idk.... is the feet not touching a super big deal or is it my confidence?

I plan on ridin the vulcan bout 1,000 to 2,000 in the six months so I can have the experience to handle a bigger bike .... but do i get the 650 ninja... or the cbr 600.... or zx6r... what would be the difference????

Thank you all for your support and welcoming me into your community of motorcycle enthusiast. This is a new chapter in my life and right now I'm loving it.

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
I wouldn't bother with anything you can't touch your feet to the ground. You can always get an upright sportbike instead of a full on supersport. A little more forgiving and more comfortable to ride. I can remember some guy on a cbr 600 with short legs, he had to be on his tippy toes and looked really funny pulling up to bike nights.

·
10,756 Posts
Your feet need to touch down, not just your toes. Especially on a sport bikes, if you drop one of those at a light there is all manner of things that will break. On a cruiser you can easily mount a crash gaurd to keep things from getting hurt on a tip over. Just keep looking until you find a comfortable bike. Most shorter people gravitate to the cruisers because of the lower seat height. Have you looked at the Kawasaki ER6-N or the Honda Shadow RS? Those are nice standards that you might find low enough to work.

·
Veryfried
1,451 Posts
if you want to ride a sporty get something with fully adjustable rear shock like on the ninjas...
im only 5 7 myself and dont have a problem with my vtr1000 or zx750.
the guy i got the kwak off was over 6ft but same weight as me and had it set up to suit his weight & height -
the ride height is adjustable with a screw under the seat, then compensate for this by dropping the forks through the yokes 10mm to keep the handling sweet.
you don't need all your foot flat on the ground, but it does help low speed confidence if you can reach the floor comfortably without having to lean the bike over.
you need to think about if you come to a stop on a cambered road...
i'd say at 5'7" you are limited to bikes with maximum 31" seat height. any more & you will struggle, or just not look cool lol.

most of the supersport 600s are small enough for you to ride, ive ridden the gixxer 600, cbr & zx comfortably, not tried an r6 yet but sat on one and it felt ok.
but please read the sticky thread on sport 600s - they are basically race bikes on the road and not really for the faint hearted!
they wont tear your arms off like, but they are very fast & light and not very forgiving if you make a mistake!
dont say i didnt warn you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try this on for size !!!!!!

Hi everyone! Sorry but I’m kind of frustrated because i just wrote like a page and a halves worth of replies which was like perfect.... but had i noticed that the lovely forum had timed me out of my session BEFORE I hit submit reply..... I would not be having this little moment (................... **** ........ sigh) So now that that is over with I shall try to recollect my thoughts and star over again and save it in my pages program my mac has hahaha!!!

Okay lets get back to business. I am very thankful for all of your support and am reassured with you by my side in this decision making process. I will be going to the dealer to pick up the rest of my riding gear on this wed. and cant wait to be riding.

With that said I have been struggling a little bit with remembering what my MSF course had taught to me technique wise since i took it several months ago. Once I mounted the bike i attempted to ride it like i took it yesterday! All was well tell i attempted quick stops and u-turns. Which are difficult in and of themselves. needless to say on the quick stop i put my foot down to soon and could feel the bike slowing slipping through my fingers. was a very scary moment bc if that bike is not in like new condition the the dealer will not let me trade up .... obviously. As for the u turns the GZ 250 is what i took in the MSF and and It was a perfect bike I excelled in all areas of the course but this en 500 does not idle so easy and is kinda torquey in first way to fast in second. unlike that 250...... guess that means use that clutch brake and throttle lol :)

Also I may try to call up my MSF instructors.... they gave out there cards and I might try to set up a day we ride together. They seemed like good guys and would be good to get tips for an experienced rider first hand and who can point out what im doing incorrectly.

When I do head up to the dealership I will see if they could lower one or two of the bikes that I am interested in for seat height in the spring.... and lower the forks through the yokes like benny mentioned. If they did that It would be awesome and obtain my very much appreciated customer satisfaction. hopefully at that point I shall feel more comfortable with the bike.

As for the sticky threads about the 600 cc bikes I did not know which one you meant seeing as im new dont really know how to work the sight to well yet. but i did stumble across a good article a guy posted which was geared towards all the new riders coming to the site asking bout them.... in fact was was 4 to 5 pages worth :) wow
there was a lot of info and he was down to the point. I just hope that I will gain enough experience from my en 500 in 6 month to be sufficient. i plan to get 2,000 mi on it by then or ride as much as possible but time will tell and we shall see.

I would rather be a humble rider, than be humbled from riding... from a big mistake!!!!

On a last note I would like to ride a bike for highway, in town and several longer ride occasions.... I really want a sport bike ....and am looking into 650r ninja, cbr 600, or zx6r. Supposing that the dealer does comply with my request. This could pose as a problem for the fact that the sport bikes are harder on your wrist and back. So should i Choose the 650r ninja seeing as how it is more of an upright bike than the others. not really looking for other bikes i guess because im really drawn in to how beautiful those bikes look. corny and dumb bc im basing off of looks but its true.... I just dont want to regret a decision that i make.

Thanks again for all of your support and im sorry if the second time it seems so scattered.... but i think i managed to get everything i had said previously into this one.... but worded different haha

:)

·
Veryfried
1,451 Posts
this is the article i think you should read and ingest regarding sports bikes, particularly supersport 600s.
http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=84694

a friend has a zx6r as his first bike, has been riding just over 7mth now without mishap, done a few track days and ive rode a few 1000 mile with him and tbh he's an excellent rider, doesn't hang about but doesn't take risks either.
he's not alone. loads of new riders go get a 600 and treat them with respect and do ok.

regarding discomfort on a sportsbike... at slow moving town pace riding, you may find the head down arse up riding position a little tiring.
on the open road the position is perfect though.

ive said this before but i think maybe for the type of roads you will be riding you should consider a 600cc sports tourer like a suzuki bandit gsx600f, honda hornet cb600f, yamaha fazer fz600f or kawasaki zzr600 (rather than the gsx600r, cbr600r, r6 & zx6r)
the model names may be different in the usa but if you search google images you will see the bikes i mean - all very capable machines.
these bikes have a riding position much more suited to all round riding, flat bars, more comfy seat, better tank range, more comfortable for a passenger & luggage etc yet will still easily do 130mph on the open road and all handle perfectly.

all these bikes have been around for 10 years+ so you will no doubt find a perfect low mileage used example for a fair price.
rest assured these 600 sports tourers (with 100+hp) will keep up with the big boys and leave the cruisers in your dust if you twist it back!

just something to consider before you make a decision that might not be perfect all round.

good luck with your search - hope you find what you are looking for & ride safe :thumbsup:

some pics - note that these models have gone through several evolutionary metamorphosis over the years, and there will be some spec difference in the usa models as you will see if you search for yourself...
all are based on the supersport 600s and for example the fazer 600 uses the same engine as the previous year's R6 but in a milder tune...
(ie a 2006 fazer600 will more than likely use a 2005 r6 mill)

Very capable machines for a novice or advanced rider.

yamaha fazer 600

suzuki bandit 600 (note there is a naked & faired version)

honda hornet 600

kawasaki zzr600

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Mr hedges, I'm afraid we don't get the choices you do- wherever you are. IMO, the 600 Bandit is a wondrous machine- but it was discontinued here quite a while ago.
The closest I can think of is a suzuki SV650. It looks the part yet has a very contollable throttle- and can be lowered easily. A lot of people here get them for use as track bikes, in fact.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts