Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

I'm a new rider from Philly. Just got my motorcycle license over the summer, trying to buy a bike in the next month or so (probably a yamaha v star). Looking to travel cross country within a year.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. There is just nothing like tooling around this great country on a bike. It's the best way to travel, IMO. Have fun and good luck finding that bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! Yes will hopefully be doing an internship out in Los Angeles in a few months and plan on riding out on a motorcycle. I will probably be riding in some pretty cold conditions, does anyone have any good precautionary recommendations for riding in the cold? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay great! Thanks for the advice! Also, does anyone think a 650cc bike is too light for cross country travel?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
A 650 is bigger than most bikes on the road back when I started riding. Only the HD 1200 was bigger. Today I ride a 1731cc bike but you don't need to go that big for a decent distance ride. If you outfit your bike with decent saddle bags and use motels for accommodations you will be fine using a 650. I suggest that you get in a few 300+ miles days before you set out on your trip. As is true of so many other things, you need to build up to any physical challenge. I regularly ride over 400 miles in a day so a 700 miles day is not a major challenge for me. If I never rode much more than 20 miles at a stretch, a 700 miles day would cripple me. Here I am at almost 67 years old thinking that 700 miles is no big deal, but that is based on my own riding history, not yours. You need to judge your own readiness and never, I repeat never, decide that you should do more than you are comfortable doing. That would be a path to disaster.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your advice! Woah that's a big bike! I will keep all of this in mind while planning for my trip. I plan on doing a lot of camping for saving money (college student who will be broke once i buy a bike). Just wanted to make sure a 650 was powerful enough for going 65-70 mph on the highway.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,313 Posts
I traded in a Vstar 650 because it was in my opinion reving too high running 65-70 mph. It was great on two lanes in the 55 mph range, but the highway had it wound to tight for my liking. I upgraded to a larger bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I have read that 650cc for long distance and high speeds can feel to high on the rpms. Do you think weight plays a large factor? I'm a pretty light and weigh 150. I would prefer something heavier like a 900cc bike i'm not sure if i can afford a bike like that. Just curious, what did you upgrade to?

·
2,827 Posts
Welcome from Bucks Co PA.

I own a V-star 650. I love the bike, but I would not take it cross country. That bike is in its element on 2 lane B roads cruising at 45mph. It's also a great commuter bike if the highway time is limited to under 1 hour. After that the vibrations start to get to me.

YMMV

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Take a look at that bike Critter is riding. I sometimes kid him about having my old bike because mine looked just like that. It is a Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe and you should be able to get a used one or around $5000. At 1300cc it has plenty of go at highway speeds and is not high revving at those speeds. Under normal circumstances it feels very planted with a low center of gravity but if you get it over on its side you will want help standing it back up. These things are trade offs. That bike has enough weight that it will not get blown around but it also weighs enough that it is hard to manhandle when it is laying on its side.It also has plenty of power to get out of its own way but that comes at the expense of poor fuel economy. That V-star 650 would probably give you 50 MPG at highway speeds and the RSTD will give you closer to 40.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for your helpful responses! Since I will be driving 4000+ miles I will definitely not be getting the v star 650 then. When I purchase a bike I will let you all know what I got and how it works out, thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Royal Star Tour Deluxe also. It gets between 40-45 mpg on the hwy. it's very comfortable on long runs and handles windy conditions well. A smaller bike will cause more fatigue due to the vibrations and the wind blowing it around. But I used to have a 650 Special back in the 80s and took it on long trips. It's good advice to take several trips and work up to the long distance rides. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, I will try to get at least 2 or 3 smaller trips before the big one. And on the big trip I will probably do a lot of stopping and sight seeing so it hopefully I won't feel too fatigued.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey everyone, today I just bought a 98' kawasaki vulcan 800cc!
It feels great to ride after not riding for like 2 months! i'll try to post some pictures of it soon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts