Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

First, thanks to all the posters in the new rider forums (and elsewhere) who provided this lurker with a lot of answers to questions I didn't even know I had. I signed up for an MSS course, read the forums, looked at bikes on Craigslist, read the forums, bought some gear, read the forums.

Picked up a used Yamaha Silverado Sept 26th and have been riding as much as possible. Now it's windy and rainy, so I'm back reading the forums and drinking cheap beer this evening. So many of the members here are just incredible, patient, and helpful, and I really wanted to extend tons of gratitude.

maximas gratias vobis ago (from a Latin teacher)
Homer

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,370 Posts
You are welcome

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
I had two years of Latin in high school and remember very little of it! Maybe some of it would come back if I 'exercised' it.

Anyway...

·
14,370 Posts
Doc, google translator is your friend :)

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Glad you joined us. I lurked around for a couple of months before I joined. It is amazing how much a new rider can learn here. Take care out there.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
They still have Latin teachers?

Cool!!!

I never took the language, but sometimes I wish I had. You can see so many words in so many languages that are originally from Latin, that if you pay enough attention you can pick out at least a few things here or there. (Very helpful if you're in a foreign country and have no real training in their language.)

"maximas gratias vobis ago"

I'll guess "Many Thanks From Me." (The first two words I'm sure of, the last two are a guess.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha! See, I said you guys were awesome!

It means, "I give (ago) you all (vobis) much thanks (maximas gratias)," and it's where gracias and grazie come from. And you're right, Eye, I've lived in Italy and France a bit, and the Latin helped out a lot.

I've been teaching Latin for almost 15 years at all kinds of places, NY inner city schools, universities, and now middle school and high school in the burbs. And at this point I'd happily give lessons on verb conjugation in exchange for advice on how to take good care of a carbureted engine.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I was riding back from work today and passed another rider, who gave me that salute. I failed to respond, since I was nervous about letting go of the handlebars, and I still feel awkward about it.....but I'm glad to be a member of this kind of community, albeit a shiny new one with less than 50 miles under his belt

·
14,370 Posts
Just lift your fingers off the bar waving them one at a time.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Most will be able to see you nod your head. That's what I do if I'm too busy or not able to wave back. You will find most bikers to be a very friendly and helpful bunch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again. I made up for it today. First long ride on a beautiful day. You're right, it's a friendly and helpful bunch!

·
Premium Member
8,986 Posts
Beer

Homer.
Live is too short to drink cheap beer.
There is more than enough imported from Germany, Belgium, Holland, England and a few others. And there are some decent small breweries all over.

Later, belch, Unkle Crusty*

1 - 16 of 16 Posts