Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am a new rider, just purchased a 1970 Honda CL350. I am signed up for the MSF basic rider course and am currently trying to find a helmet.

I am a fan of the "gringo" style helmets but am worried about airflow and breathability. There is a helmet made by Bell called the Bullitt which has a small gap for the mouth (I wanted to link too it but I have too low of a post count) but I was hoping for something in the 200-300 dollar range.

Also, does it just get stupid hot inside of a helmet without vents in it? Should I just get a helmet with vent holes so I don't sweat to death?

Thanks for the help

:71baldboy:

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
It's going to get warm inside a helmet if you are standing still when it's hot out. Most provide decent air flow when you are moving.

If you ride when it's hot, you will be sweating. It's important to stay hydrated. Stop and drink plenty of water often!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Congrats on the bike and good luck on the test....I have a helmet with vents and I think it makes a heck of a diffrence.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The Bell Bullitt has no ventilation, so I would rule it out. Maybe the Revolver?
I like modular (flip up) helmets lately. I've got a Shoei Neotec.
In any case, you should try before buying, as a comfy fit is crucial to enjoying your riding time.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
A helmet does get terribly hot when you are standing still. The last thing I do before I start moving is put on my helmet. Almost all helmets these days have vents in them so it is not a major consideration for me. The main item to consider with a new helmet is fit. A helmet should be snug but not tight and should have no tight spots. If you stand around in an air conditioned space with a helmet on it should be just as comfortable after 15 minutes as it is after the first minute. All of our heads are different shapes and each brand seems to fit best on a particular shape. For me, the HJC line fits well but for other people other brands fit them better. You need to find the company that makes helmets that fit your shape head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts