Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, from Queens NY and I just recently got my motorcycle license. Planning on buying a beginner bike either this week or next, mainly looking at the honda cbr300r and yamaha yzf r3, but could also go for the honda cb300r as well. I have been debating whether or not to go through a dealer or buy from a private seller, but personally I feel to go through a dealer so registration and all of that paper work can be set up.

I know going through a private seller would be cheaper but I dont want to deal with the headache of registering the vehicle and transferring the title. I saw a 2019 honda cbr300r ABS for 4300$, how much would the out the door cost be from the dealer and is that worth it? Any tips and suggestions would help also on how to approach getting my first bike.

American Legion Rider
@alnoor
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us馃榿

Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
Welcome the forum. Try the NADA website /motorcycle

Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
Simple answer: Buy whatever feels more comfortable at the cheapest price

Longer answer: Go to the dealership, sit on a cbr300 and an r3, whichever one feels more comfortable is the one you're going to want to get, they are both 300 CC sport bikes and they all ride pretty much identical to eachother, other then the comfort and ergonomics which vary slightly. In my experience, people with fatter butts tend to lean more towards the Yamaha R series, us smaller assed people tend to go for the CBR's or GSXR's. Mainly because the Yamaha R series has some shape to it in the seats of their sportbikes instead of it just being a flat surface. I would say to also go to a private seller and to never really buy from a dealer unless you REALLY need to have a specific motorcycle, or warranty; coming from somebody who works at a motorcycle dealership. At a dealership, expect to pay the online price, and around + $389 for documentation, + $489 for freight and prep, + state tax, + $150-250 registration, and if you're unlucky; insurance before you walk out that door. If you buy from a private seller, you pay the price you agree on in person (never agree on price over the phone if ur a buyer, most bikes dont look as good as the pics in person), dude signs the title over to you & a bill of sale if you wanna be fancy, and you ride the damn thing home no questions asked. Come the next day, you go to a registration office, hand them your recently signed over title and say you'd like to get it registered in your name, pay the registration fee and less then a hour later you'll be riding with the registration, and plate in your hands. The title will typically come in the mail about a week or two later, transferred into your name. Hope this helped give ya some insight.

Registered
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
Welcome!

Although RR certainly has the inside scoop, IMHO you need to be careful buying from a private seller unless you have some idea of what you're looking at and/or are mechanically inclined. At least with a dealer's bike, you know it's going to pass inspection (If that applies in your state), be mechanically sound on the big stuff, have safe tires, and all new fluids. My bikes, new and used, have all come from dealers, except my 2008 NINJA 250R which was a CL special. It had a cracked fairing, broken blinker, and the tires and rear brake pads were shot. I didn't care because it was a second bike; my primary bike was a 2010 Honda NT700V that I used for touring and most commuting. I probably paid too much for it, but I had money burning a hole in my pocket and wanted a little green NINJA to throw around. 馃槂 It was a little toy that I didn't need to rely on too much, although I never had any trouble with it. Is there someone you can take shopping with you who knows something about bikes?

I had a 2017 NINJA 300 ABS KRT for 14,000-+ miles. (See my avatar. I rode it to Tail of the Dragon last year!) It was a great bike and the stock seat was decent (Yes, that's a custom green seat on the bike just because I wanted a green seat.:))!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Simple answer: Buy whatever feels more comfortable at the cheapest price

Longer answer: Go to the dealership, sit on a cbr300 and an r3, whichever one feels more comfortable is the one you're going to want to get, they are both 300 CC sport bikes and they all ride pretty much identical to eachother, other then the comfort and ergonomics which vary slightly. In my experience, people with fatter butts tend to lean more towards the Yamaha R series, us smaller assed people tend to go for the CBR's or GSXR's. Mainly because the Yamaha R series has some shape to it in the seats of their sportbikes instead of it just being a flat surface. I would say to also go to a private seller and to never really buy from a dealer unless you REALLY need to have a specific motorcycle, or warranty; coming from somebody who works at a motorcycle dealership. At a dealership, expect to pay the online price, and around + $389 for documentation, + $489 for freight and prep, + state tax, + $150-250 registration, and if you're unlucky; insurance before you walk out that door. If you buy from a private seller, you pay the price you agree on in person (never agree on price over the phone if ur a buyer, most bikes dont look as good as the pics in person), dude signs the title over to you & a bill of sale if you wanna be fancy, and you ride the damn thing home no questions asked. Come the next day, you go to a registration office, hand them your recently signed over title and say you'd like to get it registered in your name, pay the registration fee and less then a hour later you'll be riding with the registration, and plate in your hands. The title will typically come in the mail about a week or two later, transferred into your name. Hope this helped give ya some insight.
Ahhhh I see what you mean. Im actually trying to get a bike within the next two weeks, and the problem to buy from a private seller is that all DMVs in the NYC area are closed for in person transactions, and im pretty sure when they open up it will be packed like crazy. In that case, I may not have the bike registered for 1-2 months. Also, I believe the two dealers I was looking at says they dont charge freight and prep or set up fees. I think I may just pull the plug on this 2019 yamaha r3 abs in matte black, it has 1900 miles and going for 4200. I think im willing to pay the extra money to make sure its registered properly and have all the paperwork taken care for me, but I agree with a lot of what you are saying.

Registered
Hi everyone, from Queens NY and I just recently got my motorcycle license. Planning on buying a beginner bike either this week or next, mainly looking at the honda cbr300r and yamaha yzf r3, but could also go for the honda cb300r as well. I have been debating whether or not to go through a dealer or buy from a private seller, but personally I feel to go through a dealer so registration and all of that paper work can be set up.

I know going through a private seller would be cheaper but I dont want to deal with the headache of registering the vehicle and transferring the title. I saw a 2019 honda cbr300r ABS for 4300$, how much would the out the door cost be from the dealer and is that worth it? Any tips and suggestions would help also on how to approach getting my first bike.
Hey there,
I was given good advice for my first bike to buy used. First bike is usually never your forever bike.
Buy a cheaper used bike and get comfortable riding.
I started on a crotch rocket and then after a year I ended up liking the cruiser style better and went that way.
either way I would have changed my bike out after a year to get a bigger bike. I鈥檝e been riding for 5 yrs and this year I finally bought my forever bike. Now that I know what I like riding and wanted.
good luck!! happy riding whatever you get.
mel

Visionary
Welcome from Pennsylvania! I grew up in College Point, Querns and learned to ride there. What part of queens are you in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome from Pennsylvania! I grew up in College Point, Querns and learned to ride there. What part of queens are you in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats sweet! Im from Ozone Park, I spend a lot of my time in Astoria though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts