Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people. This is my first post. I'm about to buy a new motorcycle next summer. I'm 26 years old from Greece and I'm a short Rider 5' 4''. I had only automatic scooters in my life (up to 300cc) but i think I'm ready for an upgrade. My top choices are ( all new 2018 models) Kawasaki z650, Yamaha Mt-07 and Honda's CB 500f. I like the Honda's design the most. Next Kawasaki and at last but not least the Yamaha. I asked my mechanic about those choices and he said me that Yamaha is the best. But I think it will be a little bit tall for my height (810mm seat height). He also told me that Honda is not powerful enough and to don't buy Kawasaki because he don't like the brand in general for a lot of reasons. What do you think is the best choice for me. I Consider the height first and reliability.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
People say a lot of things.

I bet if you asked enough people you would have folks saying the same things about every brand. Find a bike that fits you, that you like, and that you can afford and ride it!

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,458 Posts
First, without trying so sound like an a$$hole I think you need a new mechanic. Any of the bikes you mentioned will be great assuming you like them and they fit. Go with your gut and buy what you like

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
If in doubt...what?
105 Posts
My advice is worth every penny you paid for it and it is:

1) Take a rider safety course. These are not scooters.

2) Don't buy a new bike. Buy a used bike in good condition that is not going to freak you out every time you put a scratch on it.

3) Don't buy a street only bike. Buy a dual purpose bike (on/Off road) and get off the pavement and learn to ride. Again, these are not scooters. After that is accomplished,

4) Keep the first bike and buy a second newer or new bike of your choosing.

5) I like kawasaki for a lot of reasons (so that cancels out your mechanics comment.)

6) Honda has enough power (so that cancels out your mechanics comment.)

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
Hello new rider confused,

Me thinks your so called wrencher is having and has been having a bad hair day. I had a few Honda's back in the day,
a 71 SL-125 on/off road bike I had a freaking blast with, then a Honda CL 360 Scrambler, had more balls than a pawn
shop window, I got pulled over for doing close to a 115 mph, my riding buddies had Kawasakies.

My brother Mark and I started out riding dirt and you learn a lot about traction on gravel an hard packed dirt, stuff that
will help you out on the road because no one can tell you, "you'll never come across sand or gravel while riding."
We rode around the edges of cornfields, trails through the woods, Pecks sand pits, torn up railroad lines along rte.138
in Taunton. We had the SL-125 for a few years, kept it then bought the 360 and that was a good way to do it.

After I had the CL360 for a while I missed the dirt an put a knobby on the back of that Scrambler.
Everyone here is giving you fine advice, CmonSTART, Vistavette, Major Sphincter, Miss Mercedes,
and YES, you have to feel like the bike fits you and you fit the bike. That SL-125 was a used bike
and I bought it from some guy in North Attleboro around 75 or 76 and had it till the mid 80's and
still running fine. So anyone who trashes Honda does not know Jack about Honda.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
I would buy a ten year old Kawasaki Ninja 250 for $1200 on Craigslist and take a safety course. When you are done with the course, go ride that bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
People say a lot of things.

I bet if you asked enough people you would have folks saying the same things about every brand. Find a bike that fits you, that you like, and that you can afford and ride it!
I couldn't agree with this more. And there's nothing wrong with buying a new bike if you can afford it, even if you're a new rider. I'd freak out whether I've got a new or used bike if I'm scratching it! Also, get what fits your riding style. I'm not sure why it was mentioned to only get a dual sport bike. Generally those are taller and not easy to ride for shorter riders. But if you want to cruise on the road and jump off into some trails then you can always get a lowering link or mess with your suspension settings to lower the bike a little but I've got a friend that's about 5'5" and he can't hardly sit on my XR400 so I wouldn't ever recommend that bike for him. No disrespect, just my opinion.

I'll know within about 10 minutes of riding a bike if I want it or not. So, find one that fits, one that you love and one you can afford. Simple as that. Good advice given.

P.S. my mechanic has an opinion about every single bike too... sometimes our opinions don't match... that's why it's just an opinion. Go ride some bikes and if you're happy then he'll be happy for you.

Good luck!

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
Hello again new confused rider,

Since you have not bought a bike yet, who is this mechanic you were talking to?
The one who says Honda's are not powerful and does not like Kawasakie for a number
of reasons. Is he a scooter mechanic that just might have worked on a real motorcycle
from time to time?

So, does this mean that if you could get a great deal on a Kawasakie, you wouldn't
because this mechanic does not like them? Also for a Honda, would you pass up a
good deal on a Honda because he doesn't feel they are powerful enough? Does this
so called mechanic even ride a motorcycle?

Nothing unkind or personal to you but do you REALLY trust this guy? He is knocking
some pretty damn good brands of bikes, I don't know but something just seems weird
about this mechanic. I would not be happy to have him work on my Kawasakie or
Honda with his attitude. I really wouldn't and to be very frank about it, I would not trust
him. Maybe with some brands he could be a good mechanic but if you get a Kawasakie
or a Honda, my gut says you'd be much better off to find another mechanic.

·
If in doubt...what?
105 Posts
Hello again new confused rider,

Nothing unkind or personal to you but do you REALLY trust this guy? He is knocking
some pretty damn good brands of bikes, I don't know but something just seems weird
about this mechanic.
Might it be that we ALL are misjudging this mechanic and in fact he is just way ahead of us. I mean I met the guy that knows the EVERYTHING about all motorcycles and I had a short conversation with him. He was an Ausie and rode a BMW R1100GS of some year I can't remember. I believe it was the last year they were carbureted. He explained to me that that was one bike model and year that was the pinnacle of all motorcycle design and all before led up to it and all after was a degradation. He offered his apology when I told him I owned a Road Glide and sympathized with what a shame it was my GS was the wrong year model. So maybe this mechanic is on the trail to that final answer.:grin:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
Ok, you have road experience on a Maxi-scooter, so you know about traffic and road conditions and accelerating, turning and breaking so you are ready to go for a Motorcycle as far as I'm concerned. You probably have driven a car with a manual transmission so the 'Clutch theory,' won't be new to you, so go for it:grin:

My choice for you, if it fits you good is the Honda and by all means,buy a new one, with no mechanical worries and a good factory warranty.:grin:

I believe all of the bikes you mention have ABS and I believe you need that, especially as a 'newer' rider.:smile:

You won't crash your first bike no matter what the flock tells you if you are safety conscious.:grin:

Above all please be careful!:smile_big:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you guys for your time. I think I will choose between Kawasaki z650 and Yamaha Mt-07 because of the horsepower. I'm asking your opinion because I'm from an island and it's difficult to find a dealer to have a test ride. I'm planning a trip to Athens and I have to be well informed before.

Anyone near my height who has the MT-07. Could be useful to know if she is manageable in parking spots or traffic lights etc.

PS I think you misjudge the mechanic. For the Honda he med that it's not powerful enough compared to other two. And for the Kawasakis it was he's personal opinion.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
"I had only automatic scooters in my life (up to 300cc)" Quote

This is why I suggested the Honda for you as you are going to be riding something foreign to you, with much more power.

Your Mechanic is giving you as a NEWBIE, very bad info that can/could/would/ may get you hurt or killed, pointing you towards the MT-07:surprise: It is FAST, powerful and 'wheelie prone,' mentioned by all the reviews I've read and your first power wheelie, may be your last and if not, when the bike throws you off, it will continue down the road until something stops it. resulting in LOTS of damage and expensive repairs:surprise:

Been there, done that---not from lack of experience but from high horsepower dirt/ track and street bikes. POOP happens:wink2:

The Kawasaki Z650 is a good choice or a better choice that the Yammie for a new rider since the parallel twin engine doesn't develop it's power until the upper RPM's so riding it sanely is easier and safer that the MT.

Put earplugs on when around your current so called mechanic:grin:

Sam:nerd:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts