Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a new rider here in the beautiful pacific northwest. Starting riding with a msf course in October and bought my first bike in February. Bought a visually challenged first year 1977 Suzuki GS 750. I know it's a bit large for a first bike but after the initial learning curve I am very happy and comfortable on it. I dropped it the first month I had it after grabbing the throttle and jumped a hedge over a driveway. Definitely not the first time this bike has been down and probably won't be the last. My plan is to turn it into a cafe style bike after I buy a second bike for commuting and touring.

Basically I am hooked. Love wrenching(which a 35 year old bike requires a lot of), carving the twisties, cruising the boulevard and rolling down the highway. Longest ride so far was about two hours, don't know the distance since the odometer doesn't currently work.

I live on the eastside as it is known in the Seattle area, never rode before, didn't grow up around bikes just got curious and decided to try it. Best spur of the moment decision I have ever made. I hope I can learn a lot about bikes, gear and riding groups here. Plus I would like to tap the excellent knowledge base here when I inevitably have new questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today I nearly dumped as well. Was going up a curvy hill and unbeknownst to me the tube in the rear tire split and went flat in a matter of seconds. Leaned into the next turn and the back end went squirrelly on me and broke loose for a second. I was able to touch off with my feet to keep from going down and limped the bike up the hill and into a nearby parking lot. There I confirmed my suspicion that the rear tire was flat and put my bike up on the center stand. Definitely a new experience high on the pucker factor list.
With the help of a good friend who brought his truck and tools to my stationary bike. After consulting the manual we were able to remove the rear wheel and take it to be retubed. Two hours later the bike was back in working the order and I rode home.
Could have been bad but all said and done it didn't ruin my riding experience today. Although it leaves me wondering what is going to fail next on my 35 year old bike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Started riding to work now. So having to deal with traffic too. Although it cuts 15 minutes off my ride home thanks to use of the carpool lane here in WA. Oh and red lights suck on an air cooled four cylinder, it gets hot idling.

Here's wishing you clear roads and nice sweepers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Commuting will get you a lot of experience fast. Yeah, idling on an air-cooled bike sucks. Well, idling in traffic on any bike sucks when it's hot. Used to commute in Vancouver BC area. Coldest I rode was -8C (just below freezing but I'd only do it on a light-weight bike) and hottest has been 110F. Maybe more. My husband bought a 750 right after his first light-weight bike and was too nervous to ride it home, but after he got comfortable, he loved it. Enjoy the rides.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts