Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a new rider with an 82 Yamaha 650 Seca. I'm mechanically inclined and have changed oil on my car before, but when I changed the oil on my bike I put too much in (aboutt 1/2 a liter). I ran it on the center stand and it sounded a little funny, but the glass sight showed a little bit of air, so I didn't worry. When I run it on the road, it won't go more than a half mile before sputtering and losing all sorts of power. Afterwards it stalls below 10 mph.
I emptied out the excess oil and have the right amount in the engine now, but I have the same running problem. What happened? There is no oil on the plugs or air filter. Is this an internal problem? Did I blow the seal?

Help!

I'm a new rider with an 82 Yamaha 650 Seca. I'm mechanically inclined and have changed oil on my car before, but when I changed the oil on my bike I put too much in (aboutt 1/2 a liter). I ran it on the center stand and it sounded a little funny, but the glass sight showed a little bit of air, so I didn't worry.

When I run it on the road, it won't go more than a half mile before sputtering and losing all sorts of power. Afterwards it stalls below 10 mph.

I emptied out the excess oil and have the right amount in the engine now, but I have the same running problem. What happened? There is no oil on the plugs or air filter. Is this an internal problem? Did I blow the seal?

Help! :(

I'm a new rider with an 82 Yamaha 650 Seca. I'm mechanically inclined and have changed oil on my car before, but when I changed the oil on my bike I put too much in (aboutt 1/2 a liter). I ran it on the center stand and it sounded a little funny, but the glass sight showed a little bit of air, so I didn't worry.

When I run it on the road, it won't go more than a half mile before sputtering and losing all sorts of power. Afterwards it stalls below 10 mph.

Help! :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did get out the oil. And replaced it after the first ride.

After I washed off the plugs it wasn't working, but I went and bought new plugs (cost me $9 for four) and the bike works greats. It took a few high revs to clear it out with a bit of white smoke, too.

Sorry I forgot to post back that it was working again. But beating me down with some "idiot" comments never hurts to really make me learn my lesson.

·
Certified Homeless Biker
2,556 Posts
I did get out the oil. And replaced it after the first ride.

After I washed off the plugs it wasn't working, but I went and bought new plugs (cost me $9 for four) and the bike works greats. It took a few high revs to clear it out with a bit of white smoke, too.

Sorry I forgot to post back that it was working again. But beating me down with some "idiot" comments never hurts to really make me learn my lesson.
good to know. I did the plug job on my lawnmower, dipped it in WD-40, cleaned it with a metal brush, then clean with a rag and let it air dry. Took a few pulls but it started great. Unless your plugs were damaged you might be able to reuse them like I did? Also, I figure it wouldn't be much different between lawnmower's plug and bikes'?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there are different types of plugs, and the gaps widths are important. The plugs in my 82 bike looked like they were from when the bike was first bought, so it didn't hurt to buy new ones.

there is a solution you can buy specifically for cleaning spark plugs and electrical stuff, but it just seems cheaper to go and buy new plugs!!

Glad to know the WD-40 worked on your lawnmower. I was told by a friend that Gas in a cup swishing the plugs around works well, though my plugs were shot so I wouldn't know.

WARNING! Let the plugs AIR DRY. If you rub them covered in gas or WD-40 or anything flammable with a towel or something you can cause an arc and some serious burns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts