Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And by new, I mean I'm getting my learners permit soon.

I'm planning on getting a bike at some point within the next year, I do lot's of planning and looking around, and change my mind a lot along the way. There are some things I do know though.

I'm looking for something with retro styling and pretty moderate power (30-70hp seems within reason). I don't want a sport bike or some huge highway cruiser, mostly because I just don't like how they look. So far the bikes I've most liked the looks of have been Triumphs; the Bonneville T100 and the Scrambler. But I'm looking for more advice and options to this end.

Advice and recommendations welcome.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Triumphs and dealers are very rare here so I don't know much about them, but suzuki just came out with a retro 250cc cruiser that looks pretty cool, and there's always the rebel. If you're going to be doing any highway riding you will want more than 250cc in a cruiser/standard, though- more like 500 to 650cc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Another option(if you can find one) is the Kawasaki W650

Kawasaki only sold them for a couple of years in North America, but they are a nice version of the classic 60's British bike. Rear drum brake and kick start are not things you see on many "modern" bikes but the W650 has both. It doesn't leak oil and the electrical system works even in the rain.

The only drawback is that they are a rare bike and you might not want to start out on (and pay for)what is becoming a bit of a collectors item.

·
Registered
463 Posts

I gotta tell ya man, Triumphs are cool. I really love the Bonnevilles...
but I am forced to admit there are more reliable alternatives.
This new Suzuki is cool..I sat on one the other day.
pretty hawt bike.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Another vote for the Nighthawk. There are tons of them out there for less than $2k in excellent condition in the 450-750cc range. I'd get rid of my current ride in a heartbeat for an 85 Nighthawk S.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts