Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A'ighty -- bought this bike (2005 Suzy GS500F) maybe 3 weeks ago, and definitely think it's a good bike to start learning on... but some basic questions:

1) What RPM should I aim at shifting with? I know it *CAN* go up to 1000 RPMs, but it seems more natural to shift at ~3.5 or so, but it feels like it doesn't have a "boost of speed" when entering the highway -- so should I aim more for 5?

2) In the mornings, or after I have let the bike sit for awhile (two hours+), I need to use the choke in order to start the bike without it stalling... after it revs for "awhile" at 4K RPMs, then I can turn off the choke and let it "continue to warm up" -- is this normal?

3) The specs for this bike say ~5 gal tank... but driving around town, I've hit ~68 miles and the bike sputters (and dies like it's out of gas)... I turn on the reserve, and I'm good to go again... and when I fill the tank up, it's around 2.5 gallons before it's full... is this normal? Is the reserve 2.5 gallons and that's where the 5 gal tank comes from?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

·
Registered
102 Posts
A'ighty -- bought this bike (2005 Suzy GS500F) maybe 3 weeks ago, and definitely think it's a good bike to start learning on... but some basic questions:

1) What RPM should I aim at shifting with? I know it *CAN* go up to 1000 RPMs, but it seems more natural to shift at ~3.5 or so, but it feels like it doesn't have a "boost of speed" when entering the highway -- so should I aim more for 5?

2) In the mornings, or after I have let the bike sit for awhile (two hours+), I need to use the choke in order to start the bike without it stalling... after it revs for "awhile" at 4K RPMs, then I can turn off the choke and let it "continue to warm up" -- is this normal?

3) The specs for this bike say ~5 gal tank... but driving around town, I've hit ~68 miles and the bike sputters (and dies like it's out of gas)... I turn on the reserve, and I'm good to go again... and when I fill the tank up, it's around 2.5 gallons before it's full... is this normal? Is the reserve 2.5 gallons and that's where the 5 gal tank comes from?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Hey chris, I just got a 2007 GS500F a couple weeks ago so I will TRY to answer, but if someone else posts they may have much better knowledge than I

1) As for the RPM's I also am having trouble understanding Bike RPMs compared to a manual car...
From the responses I received it seems we should be cruising at 3k-4k and if I have seen that if you want to really get some speed going, then its going to have to hit 5k+ to get the acceleration you want to get on highways and such.

2) I always start with choke also, but I try to follow the manual. it says that we should warm it up for 30 seconds at abour 2.5-3k rpms, it the choke lever on mine is very sensitve so you really got to pay attention. After 30 seconds I ride off with the choke on (because if not it will stall out) then turn in off after a bit; or I just turn it off, turn choke off, and then start up normal and ride off.
I do not think its necessary to turn the choke off and let it keep running, because once you start riding off you are still warming it up. (You may want to run choke longer/ let it idle longer on cold days.

3) The tank... Umm you shouldnt be needing the reserve after 60 miles... that is clearly wrong. You should be getting 50-70 mpg depending on how you ride. The problem may be that you do not know how to fill your tank up. Its not like a car. You have to life the plastic sleeve on the pump up as high as you can, then just stick the tip in a bit. (this takes 2 hands to do obviously) and then realllllly watch the gas and make sure you fill it up appropriately but not overfill it. If you simply just stick it in (like you would a car) then the gas pump goes so far into your small tank that it will shut off (thinking its full as if it were in a car) and you really will have filled your tank up with an insignificant amount of fuel.

Thats what I can figure. Let me know

·
Registered
337 Posts
To answer your first question is where is your redline. I'm sure it's from around 11k-14k. You should be able to cruise at around 4-5k and have no problems. I shift my Bandit 600 from 4-7k everytime. I would think that cruising around 4-5k isn't going to hurt a thinng.

To answer your second question I start my bike with the choke fully applied. I usually have to give it a rev or two to get the rpms up high enough so the choke will set. I'll run my choke at 3k for about 10-20 seconds and then I will lower it to 2k and just let it sit there until I get my gear on. When I usually take the choke off it idles around 1-1.25k when I'm ready to take off. Before it's fully warmed up it will idle around 1k. I hope these answers really help you out in your situation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello
I have a new to me 2007 gs500f
I have put 200kms on it and am currently feeling it all out and am new to riding
I have had her doing a quater mile at 170 kms per hour and i dint push it 100 %
Good to know what it will do
Currently i have been riding a series of roads that go a mile and stop ( country stuff) so i can go all thru the gears and get a good feel for it
I have put 6 buks fuel in this thing and it sips fuel
I am shifting anywhere on a normal acceleration at around 5 k rpm and downshodting the same when not giving her a hard run
ut cruising along i was curious just the same seems very sluggish around the 3000 rpm to 4000 rpm mark
rides sweet with a great pick up at 5000 k
It really pulls hard above 7000 rpm ( i know i have had her open )
It really is good to feel the bike and understand its values and what itll do for you
All in all for my firs bike i am satisfied all all around -Guages coulda been a bit sweeter

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

Appreciate all the info... intracity with hills, I'm getting about 36 mpg now... so... not sure what's going on... but I can get about 3 gallons in the tank (without using much of the reserve), so I think I'm still far off the "5 gal" tank mentions on the specs page.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Appreciate all the info... intracity with hills, I'm getting about 36 mpg now... so... not sure what's going on... but I can get about 3 gallons in the tank (without using much of the reserve), so I think I'm still far off the "5 gal" tank mentions on the specs page.
That is quite weird. I havent measured my MPG but it has to be above 50 from what I experienced. As for shifting (i have a 2007 gs500f) this is how I work it.

I usually ride it at around 4k rpms, any lower and it is bogged down, which is really unsafe if you need a sudden burst of speed. So run it around 3.8-4.5k with no problems. On the highway, or hills run it even higher, I mean the bike does 70 at 5.5k RPMS and around 90 at 7k RPMS. Hills, I like to run more on the 4.2-4.5k side because it needs a bit more to get moving

Shift, depends on you, depends if you are speeding up or jsut trying to coast. If there is no need for extra speed you can shift at like 4.2k and then have it settle around 3.6-3.7k no problem. If you are looking to get some acceleration let the puppy go to 5k or even 6k and then upshift accordingly. No reason to shift it once you get 4k jsut to touch the gas again and be foced to shift immediately.

Thats my take. BTW the tank is 5gal.. because I ran out of gas.. or almost, was on reserve and put in almost 4.5gals into it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is quite weird. I havent measured my MPG but it has to be above 50 from what I experienced. As for shifting (i have a 2007 gs500f) this is how I work it.

...anything I can do to improve my gas mileage tho? hi-oct gas? gas/engine cleaner? clearing out... something or other? Again, first bike -- so I have no clue what I'm looking for in order to make it run better...

Thanks in advance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts