Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Honda CBR300R has been a great ride for the past year, but the itch to move up just got too hard to resist -- especially combined with the fact that a long-hoped-for real estate closing took place earlier in the week. So yesterday I did a trade for a new ride, a 2019 Kawasaki Z650. As Dorothy said to Toto, "I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore!"

What's killing me now is the 4000 rpm break-in restriction for the first 500 miles. In 6th gear that's good for 60 mph, but it SO wants to go faster!

Attachments

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,538 Posts
Nice bike, but I think we may have to chance your handle

·
Visionary
5,278 Posts
Nice bike.

You can fix that break in problem in one day, take a nice 250 mile ride, stop for lunch, ride it back the dealership for first service, get back on and open up the throttle :)
I basically did that with my new bike, bought it on a Wednesday, had the 500 mile oil change done on Thursday and left for the black hills, 3 days later I had 2500 miles on it :)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
4,000 RPM's @ 60 mph for 500 miles equals: 2 million times that those little pistons have went UP and DOWN to 'bed in' with their cylinder:grin:

No one knows as much as the Manufacturers about the careful break in of their product so don't listen to these know it all's that will tell you to 'ride it like ya stole it,' from the very beginning.:wink2:

Congrat's on your new Scoot! It sure is Purdy and has a great reputation.:smile:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice bike.

You can fix that break in problem in one day, take a nice 250 mile ride, stop for lunch, ride it back the dealership for first service, get back on and open up the throttle :)
Believe me, the thought crossed my mind. But I have an afternoon appointment I can't break today, so I compromised on a mere 125-mile loop this morning...:wink2:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4,000 RPM's @ 60 mph for 500 miles equals: 2 million times that those little pistons have went UP and DOWN to 'bed in' with their cylinder:grin:

No one knows as much as the Manufacturers about the careful break in of their product so don't listen to these know it all's that will tell you to 'ride it like ya stole it,' from the very beginning.:wink2:

Congrat's on your new Scoot! It sure is Purdy and has a great reputation.:smile:

Sam:nerd:
Folks tell me I'm an overly-cautious ol' fart, and I guess I am something of an oddball -- I tend to actually READ owner's manuals on new, expensive stuff and actually do what the manufacturer says to do!

I researched for months, and narrowed my choices down to the Z650, the Yamaha MT-07 and the Suzuki SV650. They differ in the details, but sort of average out as all being great bikes. The Kawa won out on price by a hair. The wife's comment when she first saw it -- "That's a pretty stud-ly-looking bike." Well, I mean, hey -- what can I say?:wink2:

·
American Legion Rider
26,018 Posts
Had my break-in taken care of in 2 days. But admit it's darn hard not to push it so I said screw it and pegged it a couple times after 300.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Believe me, the thought crossed my mind. But I have an afternoon appointment I can't break today, so I compromised on a mere 125-mile loop this morning...:wink2:
"Old n Slow" ????

You rode that back breaker a 125 miles?

Hard to believe you are "old"...just looking at the seat/bar position is giving me a backache. That's a young mans bike or an old guy in fantastic physical shape...few and far between...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
"Old n Slow" ????

You rode that back breaker a 125 miles?

Hard to believe you are "old"...just looking at the seat/bar position is giving me a backache. That's a young mans bike or an old guy in fantastic physical shape...few and far between...
66 years is enough for me to proudly claim the "old" title. I agree with your assessment of the seat -- as far as how it LOOKS; but how it RIDES is a whole 'nuther thing.

It is actually extremely comfortable. The natural riding position is fairly straight-up, with a very, very slight forward lean. This is just fine up to about 70 mph, where wind becomes a factor, but slide your butt back an inch or two -- plenty of room -- and lean just a bit more forward -- now, the wind is supporting your torso, the weight is off your arms still, and the sensation is one of flying on a smooooth magic carpet. Even when I travel by car I stop every 90 minutes or so for a stretch, and this bike has enough comfort to achieve that interval and more. This website gives you an idea of what the riding position is like:
https://cycle-ergo.com/

Did the 600 mile oil/filter change today, checked everything over, and began winding her up to the 6000 mark, which is what break-in allows from now up to the 1000 mile mark. So far not the slightest complaint.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I did a trade for a new ride, a 2019 Kawasaki Z650... What's killing me now is the 4000 rpm break-in restriction for the first 500 miles. In 6th gear that's good for 60 mph, but it SO wants to go faster!
That rascal has FUN written all over it...

-- LB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts