Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Traveler
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya folks so I just picked up a '90 VX800 and i was wondering if anyone had any advice or info particular to this model.

I think I got a steal of a deal $500 + $100 to deliver it from about 150 miles away.

The bike is in pretty clean condition for something 20 years old that has not been restored. It still has factory hard panniers, but the fairing is gone. As were mirrors. Oh yeah and the speedo cable is busted reading 64k miles. No dents or paint troubles and really minimal rust. The tires need replacing soon.

On the plus side the engine seems really solid, starts cold happily, no smoke, no weird noises. On the road it had plenty of power, I'm 6'1" and 275ish :) and even with me on it this bike really wants to go.

So far I think I scored. I know for sure it's good to be back out on a bike again.

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Great deal on a nice ride.
As far as advice, just the usual: replace all fluids, bleed the systems that need it, check age of tires, etc.

·
Traveler
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tires I ordered are here so it's off to the shop to get them put on and have them give the bike a once over, then I'll be able to ride the thing for real.

I cobbled some mirrors together, so barring the mechanics finding some more pressing trouble, fixing the speedo cable is probably the next on the list.

The bit I have ridden it I have been really happy with. I like the 'standard' posture a lot.

Still miss the auto trans from my Thai bike though :)

·
Traveler
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I can post Pics now! Lets see...

These should be the vx on the morning I first saw it in the light of day. and one of me on my Airblade in Thailand. Sorry it's a Honda but it's the bike that made me realize how much I missed being out on two wheels.

You can see why I have been waiting on tires before really riding it much.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Looks good.

That's basically the same engine that's in the VS800 Intruder; lots of torque, and a red-line of 8500. You may want to have the carb balance checked, it can go a long way in reducing vibration, and is often overlooked. Fork oil may need replacing, too (it DOES wear out!)

·
Traveler
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ugh. things seemed to be going so well...

You might have seen my other post where I dropped the bike like a noob. Busted the clutch lever. NO riding for a few days. New tires waiting at the shop.

Well the lever came in early (yay) and and i put it on then I bopped over to the shop where the tires were waiting to go on. I got the tires on and we talked about all the small things that I need to do to get her back to really pristine condition, but he was impressed by how well she ran. Rode around for a few hours on the new tires, they felt awesome. At this point the bike is really starting to grow on me.

This morning I actually need to be somewhere. Go out start up the bike sounds fine. Left and got about one block when she crapped out on me. no power seems starved for fuel. Gas in the fuel filter looks clean but not really flowing like it should be. Digging around i managed to crack a piece of plastic body panel and lose one of the rubber tank mounts. I did not manage to get her going.

Honestly I'm lost and have a dead bike now :(

Any clues about what might cause a bike to die like this over night?

I miss my Airblade

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
If it starts again, after sitting for a while, it may be the tank cap vent is blocked; the more fuel in the tank, the sooner it will stop.

If it just won't start again, have a look at the fuel pump. There's a switch inside that sometimes loses proper contact, but the contacts can be cleaned. Or, the connection could just be bad. To see if the pump is running, and the lines not blocked, drain the rear carb, then attempt to start it; if the carb doesn't refill, there is no flow.

·
Traveler
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well it starts up every time, it just won't go any faster than idle. More throttle and it sounds like it's not getting gas and stalls out. So maybe more accurately it is getting SOME gas, but not enough.

I'm gonna try to change the fuel filter today, that's about as much as i trust myself to do. no way I'm opening up a carb, i'm sure I'd kill it or lose some parts somehow.

FWIW anything I do is gonna be done on the sidewalk in front of my house. No garage, minimal tools.

·
Traveler
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Changed the fuel filter and checked the petcock fuel is getting that far. I also found an air hose that had a cracked fitting and came loose, I taped that up and reattached it.

It runs better now but not right still, at least how it is now i think I can limp it to the shop and get a pro to figure it out.

That won't be til Tuesday so if you guys have other suggestions that would be awesome.

On the plus side I found the rubber tank mount I lost yeaterday.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
Just out of curiosity, but the fuel valve is set to ON, right? Sometimes I can get confused as to which way ON really is.

The reason I ask that is that it sounds just like what my bike does when I forget to turn the fuel valve back on. Seems to idle fine but bogs down when you give it gas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts