Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am a new rider (only experience is BRC), early 50's, female, 5'3" 110 lbs and live in a hilly part of Los Angeles. Considering the Honda Grom as a scooter alternative for maneuverability at stop signs, on hills, in parking lots and in my garage. Reviews call it "fun" and until I am ready to move up to a larger, freeway capable bike, I think this will suit me fine for running around town, to the beach, etc. I have two questions though:

1. How will it do on hills? Will I be able to keep up with car traffic on canyon roads (35 - 40 mph uphill).

2. I have yet to see any around Los Angeles, and the Honda dealer I visited yesterday didn't have any on the lot. (I was busy looking at the Ninja 300 and forgot to ask if they even had the Grom.) I know it has only been out a year. Are they hard to find / is there typically a waiting list?

I also considered the Sym Wolf Classic, but have had so many Honda cars that my perception is stuck on Honda = engine quality.

Thanks for listening!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Apologies for breaking the "don't ask about your first bike here" rule. If I could edit my post, I would.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from another "older female" rider. Age 57 here. I don't know anything about the Grom but hopefully someone will. I do know the Ninja 300 is a sweet little bike and a few women around here ride them. Good Luck in your search for a bike!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Moni! The Ninja 300 is the bike I would choose if I lived in a flatter area and had sufficient garage space. I would actually prefer a small standard bike like the Suzuki TU250X, but it is not available in California due to emissions. :(

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Welcome from Daytona Beach, and best of luck to you.

I don't know anything about Groms and not much about Hondas, but I'm sure you'll get some good opinions here.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
"I" don't know anything about "BRC!" (lol) What's that stand for?

Bicycle Riding Chick?

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,555 Posts
BasicRiderCourse soupy.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
The Grom will do fine at city speeds. I'm not sure of the availability, but a local dealership should be able to locate one for you if they are available.

·
American Legion Rider
23,555 Posts
Really! Hmmm......what else have you forgot when it comes to riding then?:)

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Really! Hmmm......what else have you forgot when it comes to riding then?:)
Um............whatever I forgot, I remembered in a New York Minute, once I got back on two wheels again!! (lol)

-Soupy

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum Quaker495.
If you like the TU250 you should look at its Honda next of kin, the little 250cc Rebel. I used one when I took the BRC and it was a great little "standard" bike. My normal ride at the time was a 1300cc 4 cylinder cruiser so the bike felt tiny by comparison, but that Rebel was lots of fun to ride and would definitely stay with uphill traffic at 40 MPH.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts