Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought a 86 shadow vt500c from my old neighbor. he had the starter rebuilt and he did the removal himself. i guess he got to busy to put it back together so he just let it sit there. **3 years later** after constantly annoying him he sold me the bike for $475 and its my job to put it back together..........OMG!!!!!! Can anyone help?

C

·
0 Posts
Invest in an official Honda Shop Manual and all things will be explained to you (w/ pictures!). ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a really fickle person. I dont like spending money unless i HAVE to. Is there a repair manual online that i can view???? I'm also looking for a Seat if anyone has an extra one. Mine is all torn up.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Nope! Sorry, but that kind of information eludes the net so far.
Go ahead and invest in the manual. It will save you a lot of time and $$$ now and in the future.
That's the first thing I buy for any bike I own.

CD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK.... I got the starter in and bolted down. Correct me if im wrong but there is one cable that connects from the battery to terminal#1 on the sylinoid and then another cable on the #2 terminal( being two on the sylinoid) to the pos terminal on the starter :confused: Right? But there is no cable to go from the sylinoid to the pos terminal on the starter. And then connect the terminal to the wiring harness and ground the battery. So i Jimmy Rigged it a little to replace the cable i dont have (cuz no one keeps that stuff in stock...its on order) just to see if it will fire up. Ive got it where my lights will come on and i can use the start button but all it does is try to turn over. it wont fire up!!!!!!!!! Crap! I've got a little automotive experience but that helps me little on a bike. Any insight fellas??? If the terminals on the sylinoid are switched.. it wouldnt affect the direction the starter turns would it?

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Make sure all those connections are good, and your battery is in good shape (new).

A good manual is worth it's weight in gold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK.. now i have removed the gas tank.. this may have been a problem. As I emptied the tank i noticed that fuel (if you wanna call it that) wouldnt come out of the on-off-reserve valve (not sure what its called). so i poured it out of the top of the tank and removed the valve. It was clogged with something. the fluid in the tank was horrible with all kinds of mess in it. I know the tank has rust in it but now what do i do?

·
Registered
51 Posts
For the rust there are a few things you can do. 1 (not recommended) just ignore it and ride it. 2 get a tank lining kit that will line your tank in a plastic coating and keep it from rusting. or three just etch the tank to get the rust out and leave it full of gas. the second choose would be the best but if you don't want to spend 20 bucks on a kit just etch the tank.

here is a link to show you how http://oldmanhonda.com/MC/Rrust.html

i have done this on my motorcycle and it worked well. some light rust came back but it isn't much

mwedel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts