Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just built my own motorcycle lift for my 1981 Honda CB650C restoration. It took me a week to complete and I am very proud of it. It is 1ft x 2ft x 8ft x 2ft wood construction. I fashioned mine after one that I saw before but mine has many improvements and a great paint job if I say so myself. Tell me what you think.:coffeescreen:

Attachments

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
The paint certainly looks very impressive! I'd be worrying too much about keeping that nice paint job clean though.

You lift it by using the jack that's just noticeable in the lower right corner of the picture?

·
Ace Tuner
2,938 Posts
I just built my own motorcycle lift for my 1981 Honda CB650C restoration. It took me a week to complete and I am very proud of it. It is 1ft x 2ft x 8ft x 2ft wood construction. I fashioned mine after one that I saw before but mine has many improvements and a great paint job if I say so myself. Tell me what you think.:coffeescreen:
You should be proud of it. It's nice. Real nice.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Very nice.

The only thing I would do is lose the vice, and add a wheel chock.

I don't like and don't trust vices, but that is just me.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Looks very nice!

Once lifted you support/stabilize it with the jack stands... is that correct? Looks like the lift point just fits your hydraulic lift jack... is balance a problem?

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
That wheel vice could hold an aircraft carrier upright in dry dock! I imagine it's just what you had laying around for it to be so much more than is needed? Overall, I like it!

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
But if he just uses the jack by itself he wouldn't need to do that. Just take out the axle and lift the bike off the wheel.
That's true, but for old fogies like me, I like to do those things standing up. It takes me longer to get up off the floor than it does to get the wheel off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not really it is several inches wider so that I can move the jack towards the front or back. I plan on getting a harley in a year or two so I know that the balance point will be different so I built that into it so it would handle different bikes.

·
8,606 Posts
That is super nice! I especially like that professional looking VISE that would accommodate all tire/rim sizes.

My only concern would be termites:biggrin:

Here's what I have and it is the best thing I ever bought since I do all of the maintenance on my bikes, scooters, personal and Farm and Yard equipment. It will raise any vehicle that will fit on it up to 7 feet high. I use a perpendicular 3 ft long chain link fence post with eye bolts in each end that is bolted to the lift and then I push the bike up to the post and use two tie down straps to hold the bike in place. No more getting on my knees or laying on the ground for these old bones:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts

I like it

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Question

How do you load the bike on the lift? Are you able to push it on by walking beside it, do you ride it on, or what?.

I have some lumber carts that I use as temporary movable bike lifts and they are also about 12" high. I was a bit nervous on my first try loading the 600 pound bike and am curious how you get your bike on the lift.

Having a bike lift fixed height of 12" is a great starting point as many repairs can be done by simply sitting on a chair. Your provision of additional adjustable height is very nice for those occasions where higher is better. And also you have a nice neat work area. Props to you:coffee:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I built a lift for mine recently as well. It's 24"x96". Down, it stands 12" off the floor, up is just over 21". The entire top is lifted via a jack in the back. I use a 2x10 and roll the bike up on to the lift and into the Harbor Freight chock. Some soft ties and straps keep it upright, though the chock does a fair job by itself. Let's see if I can post a pic...

Attachments

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
That is super nice! I especially like that professional looking VISE that would accommodate all tire/rim sizes.

My only concern would be termites:biggrin:

Here's what I have and it is the best thing I ever bought since I do all of the maintenance on my bikes, scooters, personal and Farm and Yard equipment. It will raise any vehicle that will fit on it up to 7 feet high. I use a perpendicular 3 ft long chain link fence post with eye bolts in each end that is bolted to the lift and then I push the bike up to the post and use two tie down straps to hold the bike in place. No more getting on my knees or laying on the ground for these old bones:biggrin:
Show-off... ;)

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I bought a heavily used Southworth lift table, something on the order of this. It has an 8 foot table and lifts one tonhttp://www.grainger.com/product/19A872?gclid=CIL307bLqckCFRc9gQodF1wLpA&cm_mmc=PPC:GOOGLEPLAA-_-Material%20Handling-_-Material%20Lifts-_-19A872&AL!2966!3!50916705957!!!g!82660902837!&ef_id=VHaykQAABFLLt1RH:20151124173139:s
Not much that I did not have to rebuild and paint, but the beast is as new and is only 8"loading height and raises to 42" tall. It is powered by a Harbor Freight hydraulic pump that is designed for their car lift. I was gonna post pictures of it, but the connection cable for the camera is toast and the replacement has not yet arrived. I have less than 10% of the Grainger price invested:icon_cool:

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Your link didn't work but I clipped it off at what I thought might be product number. Then I had a few choices. So is this it?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts