Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I liked the ads. The trouble HD and motorcycle companies are having isn't just one issue and won't be fixed overnight. These ads are a step in the right direction for them, especially since they didn't hit any of the standard stereotypes. It will take more than a couple of ads to fix motorcycling, but you have to start somewhere.

·
On The Road Again!
2,868 Posts
I agree. This isn't going to be fixed overnight.
Another thing....someone mentioned young kids working at crappy jobs.
THOSE are the kids they need to hook. I was 20 working at a crappy job and I bought a NEW 1970 Honda CB350. $710 out the door. Where are those bikes now? We need bikes for the kids because those kids will grow up to be US!!
"You meet the nicest people on a Honda"
"Kawasaki lets the good times roll"
"You get more nookie on a Suzuki" (yes, that was a real ad!)

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,117 Posts
THOSE are the kids they need to hook. I was 20 working at a crappy job and I bought a NEW 1970 Honda CB350. $710 out the door. Where are those bikes now? We need bikes for the kids because those kids will grow up to be US!!
Good point! This is a problem all manufacturers are trying to solve with varying levels of success. A new Harley isn't a practical purchase for a 20 year old working a crappy job, but something like a Grom can be. Makes sense there's a bit of a small displacement "revolution" going on right now as many of the cheapest new bikes are 125cc city bikes that can be cheaply turned into stunt bikes or whatever you want them to be.

It seems it costs a really pretty penny to make a new bike (and be able to make money on it) nowadays, makes me wonder why some manufacturer hasn't kept a very old design in production just as an entry level model.

·
American Legion Rider
19,496 Posts
makes me wonder why some manufacturer hasn't kept a very old design in production just as an entry level model.
Do you have an example of one they could produce today that would fit this statement? I can't because everything has got more expensive. I thought all their current entry level bikes were already the best they can do in the current economy but maybe you have one in mind that's totally different that could be built today with current parts and still make money. But I sure can't think of one.

It's the "and make money" part to stops me cold. I think they can do it and not make money but it would work to hook new riders. But the make money part I'm not sure can be done. They certainly do need something that will hook new riders but everything seems to be costing more and more. I get what you are suggesting. A true basic entry level bike, no bells and whistles. But be reliable. Reliable and cheap just don't come together very often. Now get rid of our crappy fuel we have today and reliability will go up quickly.

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,117 Posts
Do you have an example of one they could produce today that would fit this statement? I can't because everything has got more expensive. I thought all their current entry level bikes were already the best they can do in the current economy but maybe you have one in mind that's totally different that could be built today with current parts and still make money. But I sure can't think of one.
Off the top of my head, Honda could have kept the Honda Rebel 250 around! Just call it something like "Rebel Classic" or whatever. They could also do the same with older CBR generations and such. They've already made their money on those models, so they could be deeply discounted and still pull in a little cash.

This actually happens quite often in the car world. A new model will come out but the old model remains in production as the "Classic" model, at least for a few more years. Some manufacturers even go the extra mile and keep something in production for really long. Best example there is the original Type 1 Beetle, which remained in production until 2003 in Mexico. China is also a popular place for old cars to live long past their expiration date. The Jeep XJ (a car that debuted in 1983) ended production in 2014 in China.

I suspect bigger motorcycle manufacturers could do the same as it's not like motorcycles have to pass crash tests.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL
1,166 Posts
Off the top of my head, Honda could have kept the Honda Rebel 250 around! Just call it something like "Rebel Classic" or whatever. They could also do the same with older CBR generations and such. They've already made their money on those models, so they could be deeply discounted and still pull in a little cash.

This actually happens quite often in the car world. A new model will come out but the old model remains in production as the "Classic" model, at least for a few more years. Some manufacturers even go the extra mile and keep something in production for really long. Best example there is the original Type 1 Beetle, which remained in production until 2003 in Mexico. China is also a popular place for old cars to live long past their expiration date. The Jeep XJ (a car that debuted in 1983) ended production in 2014 in China.

I suspect bigger motorcycle manufacturers could do the same as it's not like motorcycles have to pass crash tests.
Mexico and China don't have the same safety standards as the US and other countries, which allowed them to continue to sell cars like the VW. I don't know of any car manufacturer that continues to produce old models as "classic" and I spent 10 years in the car business.

As far as old Honda Rebels etc. If they were selling and profitable they would still sell them as long as they're capable of meeting current regulations.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
424 Posts
I don't know of any car manufacturer that continues to produce old models as "classic" and I spent 10 years in the car business.
Maybe not "classic", but in 2014 when Nissan redesigned the Rogue they continued selling the old style as well, branded as "Rogue Select".

I wonder how hard it would be for one of the Japanese 4 to take one of their old UJM 400 or 550 models, replace the carbs with FI, give them disc brakes front and rear, and make a little profit with them?

·
On The Road Again!
2,868 Posts
As far as old Honda Rebels etc. If they were selling and profitable they would still sell them as long as they're capable of meeting current regulations.
They are not selling or profitable because they are NOT PROMOTING THEM!!!
They need ads on tv, or on the internet, that are aimed at kids showing these
bikes!! They need product placement with the shows or movies that KIDS are
watching. They do NOT need to show the bikes that cost $30,000. Those are
aimed at older riders who have the money. They have to sell the small cheap
bikes to the kids so that they get the bug, and later in life they will become US!!

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL
1,166 Posts
They are not selling or profitable because they are NOT PROMOTING THEM!!!
They need ads on tv, or on the internet, that are aimed at kids showing these
bikes!! They need product placement with the shows or movies that KIDS are
watching. They do NOT need to show the bikes that cost $30,000. Those are
aimed at older riders who have the money. They have to sell the small cheap
bikes to the kids so that they get the bug, and later in life they will become US!!
The new 300's and 500's are fairly inexpensive and they're up to date bikes

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
American Legion Rider
19,496 Posts
Well I seriously doubt an older bike could be produced exactly as it was, say in the early 70's, as an entry level bike. Which means cheap or what they sold for then. Labor and material cost alone would make it impossible. Then add the safety standards changes which has been mentioned, nope, just don't think it's possible.

Now, making a Chinese version of "classic", yes. But then you lose the reliability part. That's also been proven. Yes, manufactures could discount them(possibly) to entry level prices just to hook new riders but that might be a pretty substantial monetary drain on a company. Even if they looked at it as advertising expense.

They ¿might? be able to produce a stripped down version, almost rat bike type, of a classic. But I'm not even sure that can be done. Labor and material cost keep me from thinking it's possible. Then warranty. Would these have a warranty at all? If truly reliable it should be doable.

And don't even think about a safety recall for whatever reason. I'd sure like to see them try make one though. We all know there is a huge demand for a good new reliable entry level bike. I just keep thinking that if was possible they'd be doing it or what we currently have is it.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,036 Posts
A 700 dollar bike would by about 4k in today's dollars. A 564% increase.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts