Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on another brand specific forum and thought I'd bring it over here for discussion. It looks like Harley is going in an entirely new direction with their new ads targeting the younger generation. I think its what they need to do and smart advertising on their part. Their new video's are definitely different from anything they've done before.
LINK: Seen The New TV Spots For Harley-Davidson? - Ride CT & Ride New England

I don't agree with this part of the article though, I really don't see it this way at all.
How’s that for risky? At least initially, the campaign makes it appear that Harley-Davidson’s past and its iconic status don’t exist. It’s almost as if the company’s saying, “Thanks, baby boomers, you’ve bought into our marketing and given us your cash for years, now piss off.”
I think they're just doing what they have to do to survive. If your not willing to change with the ever changing marketplace, then you will not be in the marketplace very long.

·
On The Road Again!
2,868 Posts
If they, and other bike companies, want to survive, they had better start getting younger riders interested....and they better start making bikes that younger kids can afford!!
Kids today don't want to dress like a pirate, and they can't afford a twenty or THIRTY thousand dollar bike.
Hell, I'm almost 70 and I can't afford 'em either!

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL
1,166 Posts
I agree with you. Neither of those ads seems to be telling the older client to bugger off. Instead; they were made to appeal to a different crowd...and I thought they did a good job. The 2nd one made sure to show a female, which is a demographic that Harley has been courting for a number of years. I liked both ads.

I had a Harley Ultra Classic from June of 2009 until June of 2018. I put 90k miles on it. I loved that bike.....but; when it came time for a new bike, I didn't go back to Harley. I wanted certain features (power adj windshield for one) and they just didn't check the boxes for me. I grew in my needs, and they, well, didn't grow with me. Yes; they have a new motor and updated features, many of which I would like my have on my current bike (BMW K1600GTL), but not enough. They also killed off any of the bikes I would have considered as a 2nd bike. For example, the standard, mid controls, Dyna Super Glide. The riding position on everything except the touring bikes, for me, is uncomfortable. I wish the Sportster was more like the Triumph T120...I'd probably buy one (I hate my local Triumph dealership)

As a guy in my early 50's, I have disposable income. People in my age range are the people that have the money to buy themselves nice things. It's the same demographic that buys Corvette, Porsche, BMW motorcycles etc.

A: They don't currently offer something I, (and many others) want.
B: Personally; I hate the association and tag that is automatically given to me when I ride up on one of their products, however, If the product was what I wanted, I'd fade that heat.

I am super hopeful for the new product coming out. The Bronx looks awesome, I saw a prototype in person, as does the adventure bike. I also saw that they applied for an approval with CARB to sell a new "Softail Standard", so maybe that will hit the need for a big twin standard, sort of a Harley version of a UJM.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
6,728 Posts
I have tentative PO's out on a 2020 Electra Glide and a 2019 Indian Springfield BUUUUUT, the new Goldwing I looked at on Sat morning is lookin' very good (I've had 3 new ones in the past) because I won't have to listen to the prejudiced BS that the Harley and Indian forums always spew out! WORD.

Sam:)

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL
1,166 Posts
I have tentative PO's out on a 2020 Electra Glide and a 2019 Indian Springfield BUUUUUT, the new Goldwing I looked at on Sat morning is lookin' very good (I've had 3 new ones in the past) because I won't have to listen to the prejudiced BS that the Harley and Indian forums always spew out! WORD.

Sam:)
I really, really like the new Goldwing and had it set in my mind that it was going to be my new ride...but then an amazing deal popped up on a used BMW. However; the bags on the new Goldwing are horrible. The top case is too small to comfortably get a full face helmet and jacket etc. into it, and the side cases are too small as well. I'm really hoping that Honda makes an adjustment to the bag sizes. I'll be ready for a new bike in a few years.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Actually that 1st commercial (breathe, auto order flowers) is quite good Zeb. As you say it is very different from past commercials and geared towards the younger gen. It shows and tells us what most members on this forum already know. Want to escape from the pressures of everyday life for a bit? Take a bike ride. Want to get away and REALLY clear your head? Take a longer bike ride.

The sound of the bike and the narrative starts out a little muted. The action is a little slow. As the commercial progresses, the action picks up, along with faster dialog and more engine noise. As the dialog increases (more and more things popping into your head) the video shows the tight streets, and confines of city living until the end. Then it's 'Breathe', relax, slow down, enjoy the ride, and clear your head.

The commercial doesn't show the product, but it does show what the product can do. Very effective spot. I like it.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Not a bad ad, but ironically, it has nothing to do with Harley Davidson. It could have been a good ad for the American Motorcycle Association or some other trade group promoting motorcycles. I think that if a young person was thinking about getting a motorcycle and went to a local dealership, they might find something that they like and could afford if it were a Japanese brand dealership, or any brand other than HD or Indian. If the only dealership that the young person thought to visit was that of HD, and they saw how expensive even the smallest of the bikes was priced at, they might well walk out and never return.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL
1,166 Posts
Not a bad ad, but ironically, it has nothing to do with Harley Davidson. It could have been a good ad for the American Motorcycle Association or some other trade group promoting motorcycles. I think that if a young person was thinking about getting a motorcycle and went to a local dealership, they might find something that they like and could afford if it were a Japanese brand dealership, or any brand other than HD or Indian. If the only dealership that the young person thought to visit was that of HD, and they saw how expensive even the smallest of the bikes was priced at, they might well walk out and never return.
I disagree. First, we need to define "young", and I don't think they're courting broke kids working crapy jobs. I think they're looking at late 20's through 30 something's that are professional or semi-professionals and have some level of income. a lot of people in that age catagory actually do make money, for example, my oldest son and his friends are all computer hardware/electrical engineers making $80k +. So, there are a lot of people in the younger demographic that can afford something more than an inexpensive entry level bike, or used older fixer.. 2nd: The Street line and Sportster line and not that far out of line price wise. Now, they may not want one of those, and that's a different story, but I think we need to understand the demographic that they're after.

·
On The Road Again!
2,868 Posts
Product placement.....They need to get bikes featured on tv shows and videos
that appeal to teenagers. That is where the interest really starts. They have to
hook 'em while they are young, and the way to do this is to show teenagers
having fun on motorcycles....smaller beginner bikes, NOT thirty thousand
dollar hogs!

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,117 Posts
I like the ads, they definitely hit the mark on what young people look for when they get into riding! But I also do agree they are a bit generic. They could have splashed a little more Harley brand identity in there while carrying the same message. Personally, I feel their biggest problem will be with the dealerships. Some Harley dealers can sometimes be a bit like luxury German car dealers in how they may not take younger customers as seriously.

I bought my first new car while I was working at McDonald's when I was 19. I bought my second new car when I was only making like $30k. They were cheap ($16k and $20k) but they were my "attainable dream cars" when I was a teen.

Now with that bucket list satisfied, I'm deciding to buy my first new bike this year or next year. I'd LOVE a Livewire and my income is there for it...but if I'm spending $30k on a motorcycle, it would be a current gen Ninja H2.

I'm hoping the Pan America is more reasonable. It looks straight out of a sci-fi movie and I'd cherish one like it were my child! Now that's a bike I'd love to write about but there's nothing I could say that hasn't been said by everyone else. I need seat time! :D

And that's good. Harley is releasing bikes outside of their traditional line and trying to appeal to a different demographic in doing so. Makes sense that they'll change up their ads to match. However, with their prices they'll definitely be attracting a narrower group of young people. You'll be getting IT folks like myself, people in trades, and people in healthcare.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Millennials are approaching middle age now, According to the latest studies, it shows that Millennials will hold five times as much wealth as they have today and the group is anticipated to inherit over 68 trillion from their Baby Boomer parents by the year 2030. This will represent one of the greatest wealth transfers in the modern times. Currently there are approximately 618,000 Millennial millionaires, and the number is growing. Yeah, money has been an issue with Millennials, especially when they were young, but its always been like that when your young. But, as they age and approach middle age, their finances continually get better.

I think Harley is on the right track with their advertising. They also need to continue what they're doing with R&D into new modern designs that appeal to the younger generations, including the now Gen Z generation. Most Millennials and Gen Z'er's are not into heavy. big, loud massive CC bikes, they're into light, quiet, agile bikes with enough CC's to move them around their urban environment comfortably. It doesn't matter anymore if we (55 & older) like those models or not.

·
American Legion Rider
19,496 Posts
They may get surprised by that anticipated wealth transfer. A huge segment of the babyboomers will not do as their parents did and simply let their kids inherit what they made huge sacrifices to obtain. No, they are going to use that money and try hard to leave none. Now it isn’t all of them granted. But I do think it will change the way wealth as been looked at in the past.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I liked'em. But then I have liked nearly all motorcycle commercials I've seen.

One of my favorites was for Kawasaki Ninja's. One fly's by a sleeping radar cop, the cop never sees the bike so he stops a farmer on a tractor, or old farm truck or whatever it was. 😆😆😆

·
Premium Member
7,099 Posts
This is a true story. At a motorcycle ( Kawasaki ) annual dealer meeting, the add guy said.
I do not know a lot about motorcycles, but I do not what motivates young men. So you will be seeing a lot of adds in the skin magazines.

UK

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They may get surprised by that anticipated wealth transfer. A huge segment of the babyboomers will not do as their parents did and simply let their kids inherit what they made huge sacrifices to obtain. No, they are going to use that money and try hard to leave none. Now it isn’t all of them granted. But I do think it will change the way wealth as been looked at in the past.
I don't know Hog, the Baby Boomers are the same parents that created Millennials. You know, the ones that loved their children so much that they solved all their children's problems for them as they were growing up. The same ones that always told them how wonderful they are. The same ones who banned Dodge Ball & Tag Your It in school, because it could damage their children's self esteem. The same ones who decided that they wouldn't keep score in Pee Wee football & soccer because losing could also damage their self esteem. The same parents that try to be their children's best friend instead of fulfilling their role as actual parents.

The same ones who purchased tablets for them at two years old and cell phones at 6 years old. The same ones who love their Millennial children so much that many have given up their retirement funds to pay for their children's needs. The same ones that have 30 year old children still living at home while Mommy & Daddy pay their way through life. The same ones who thoroughly prepared them for the world as adults. This doesn't sound like the kind of parents that would leave their children penniless in a cold cruel world after they're gone.

·
American Legion Rider
19,496 Posts
I think you are incorrect Zebra. Those parents were GenX that did everything for their precious little darlings. Boomers are the ones going out now and they are saying, screw the little turds.
Generations explained.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you are incorrect Zebra. Those parents were GenX that did everything for their precious little darlings. Boomers are the ones going out now and they are saying, screw the little turds.
Generations explained.
I'm not so sure about that. I'm a Baby Boomer (1946 to 1964 according to Wiki) born in 1961, 58 years old. I have a 36 year old Millennial Daughter, as many of my friends in the same age range as I have Millennial adult children. I was 22 years old when she was born. I do concede that possibly a mix of both Boomers & Gen X'ers contributed to the Millennial generation. Another thing to consider is that people for the last 30 years have been having children much later in life more than ever before, which also throws a little wrench into the formula.

·
Premium Member
7,099 Posts
When it comes to Boomers, I am the leader of the pack. 46, same number as Rossi. Shirley is 6 months behind me. Together we must be very close to the front of the Boomer mob. A couple would need to be both early 46 to out date us.

I still listen and converse with the kids, as I remember many adults helped me. But if the kids will not try and help themselves, then I depart. The Govt. provides social workers for them.

UK

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Wherever they come from, they're going to be surprised as heck when mom and dad are gone and they don't inherit squat! :oops:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts