Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to all
I go by Shyster, just joined the forum , looking forward to picking all ya guys brains on multiple topics. 1st off I just picked up a 1980 Honda CM400T. Looking for advice on tires. It came with Bridgestone S703 front 3.50S18-4pr and L302 rear 4.60S16-4pr. I just want good tires for all around riding in general, I’m not having much luck figuring out the cross over to the new sizes. Best I have come up with to this point is , Dunlop D404 100/90-18 front and Dunlop D404 130/90-16 rear. Can any one tell me if I’m on the wright track?
thanks in advance for any response. Don’t want to waste cash on wrong tires.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Zip
2,432 Posts
I found an article that explains the old style tire sizes and how to convert to modern designation: List of Gun Calibers. The article's URL would lead you to believe you're going to be reading about guns and bullets, but it really is about tire sizes.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,432 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found an article that explains the old style tire sizes and how to convert to modern designation: List of Gun Calibers. The article's URL would lead you to believe you're going to be reading about guns and bullets, but it really is about tire sizes.
I checked your comment and sure enough for gun information, took a little time and got a bit more knowledge of the colt 1911 , unfortunately wasn’t able to find tire information I was after.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That's a fresh take on Rick-Rolling someone... o_O

Welcome to the forum, thank you for the introduction (it'll get you much farther than popping in asking for help).

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
Hello to all
I go by Shyster, just joined the forum , looking forward to picking all ya guys brains on multiple topics. 1st off I just picked up a 1980 Honda CM400T. Looking for advice on tires. It came with Bridgestone S703 front 3.50S18-4pr and L302 rear 4.60S16-4pr. I just want good tires for all around riding in general, I’m not having much luck figuring out the cross over to the new sizes. Best I have come up with to this point is , Dunlop D404 100/90-18 front and Dunlop D404 130/90-16 rear. Can any one tell me if I’m on the wright track?
thanks in advance for any response. Don’t want to waste cash on wrong tires.

Welcome, and for the record, no offense to you... But the word "shyster" around my area, is not a good name to carry..

JS

Aslo, the 80's wheel sizes are no longer a continous "in stock" size.. so the choices will be limited..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome, and for the record, no offense to you... But the word "shyster" around my area, is not a good name to carry..

JS

Aslo, the 80's wheel sizes are no longer a continous "in stock" size.. so the choices will be limited..
Believe me I get a lot of **** for the name, spent many years in the lumber business running Hyster forklifts, that’s how it came about, usually asked if I’m a lawyer, far from it.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
Here, it means that person is "scandlious" and not to be trusted... Wait are you a lawyer? HAHAHA :ROFLMAO:(y)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Welcome and glad you posted a pic of your bike - I love old school motorcycles. Have been tempted to pick up one from the 80's (a V45 Sabre like the one I rode across the country in the late 80's) but the problems with finding parts if something breaks has deterred me). Have seen a couple of clean low mile examples on CycleTrader even.

Cool bike you got there - there was a guy in my high school class that had one of those he rode to school.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome and glad you posted a pic of your bike - I love old school motorcycles. Have been tempted to pick up one from the 80's (a V45 Sabre like the one I rode across the country in the late 80's) but the problems with finding parts if something breaks has deterred me). Have seen a couple of clean low mile examples on CycleTrader even.

Cool bike you got there - there was a guy in my high school class that had one of those he rode to school.
I just like the old school bikes from my early years, I’ve had a verity over the years, something about them old Honda’s keeps calling me.

·
Zip
2,432 Posts
I checked your comment and sure enough for gun information, took a little time and got a bit more knowledge of the colt 1911 , unfortunately wasn’t able to find tire information I was after.
Seriously I didn't mean to rick roll anybody. I don't know why my browser gave me that URL for the page I was looking at. At any rate, here's the actual page: Difference Between 3.50-18 & 11090-18 Tires (goneoutdoors.com).

Apologies for any sensibilities I offended.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice 400! Welcome to the forum!
I started riding at 18. I'm now 71 and riding
still puts a smile on my face!
You’re the guys footsteps I want to follow, ya got a few years on me, but I’m hopeful I can carry on for a big handful of years having a good time at what makes me feel young and gives a guy reason for being.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Welcome to the forum Extremely clean bike. Remember Old Hondas never die. Love the vintage stuff and the more popular the bike from that era the easier parts will be to find #1 they made so many of them and #2 the aftermarket is keeping them alive.

·
Registered
240 Posts
What a beautiful bike! It must give you unfettered glee riding that again! Welcome and if you drop the 'S' and slip in a 'p' you could be Hypster....maybe the furthest thing from what you want to be called huh? :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts