Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I hope you're all doing well ? A little about me, I recently just purchased a 2017 Indian Scout sixty back in December of 2018 and I am in love. A little powerful for a starter bike but it is amazing. I am from Arizona and looking for any tips anyone has for new riders. It would be greatly appreciated for I am going on my first ride through multiple curves and sharp downhills this coming weekend. I have had multiple long rides in the past but the curves and downhills were not as severe.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,905 Posts
Welcome aboard, there are some fine roads in AZ

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,442 Posts
WELCOME ABOARD, and...

Other members do like to know they are welcoming a real person so thanks
for letting us know a little about yourself.:smile: Normally just a few more
posts(count of 3) and the rest of the site will open to you. This is the sites
spambot control. Unfortunately it is needed today. But you have to make 15
posts before you can post pictures. Right or wrong it's considered a privilege
to be able to post pictures. Unless you use Tapatalk which somehow
gets around that restriction.

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us:grin:

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Welcome from Illinois! Got my license in June 2018...bought 14 motorcycles since then, sold most of them and have just 6 of my favs nowadays. Sounds like you already have a super solid first bike! I'm kinda jealous! :D

My best advice is that if you ever lose traction in a turn (gravel in the intersection), straighten up, go straight, then use the brakes on the wheel(s) that does have traction to come to a stop/controllable speed. If the lost traction is due to it being wet outside, don't grab the front brake. Once the rear gains traction gently use that brake to come to a stop or controllable speed.

Second best advice is to avoid hard acceleration on tar snakes (those black lines of sealer on the road) and painted markings. Those things are notoriously slippery and will throw you down if allowed to.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,830 Posts
Welcome to a fine forum with people willing to help or just converse when needed!:grin:

I have been over virtually every part of Arizona and here are a few of the places I love: Jerome, Camp Verdi, Sedona, Prescott, Tombstone, Yuma, Oatman, Kingman, ShoLow, Williams, Flagstaff, the Globe mountains and virtually any place on HWY 60 from Phoenix to the North East.:wink2:

Practice and take it easy everywhere you ride, like in traffic but especially in the mountains!

Always be prepared for bad weather, even in the summer in AZ as it can rain so hard for so long that the roads can hardly be seen and I have been in a snowstorm in Williams in Middle June, where further west in Kingman and Seligman, it was over 100 degrees:surprise:

Sam:nerd:

·
27,442 Posts
Boy you are so right about weather extremes in Arizona Porky. It can take a person by surprise traveling through that state. Know reason to ask how I know.:grin:

Reactions: Porky

·
On The Road Again!
4,647 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Selena!
Lots of nice people here.
Regarding the curves, remember, until you get more experience, brake before the curve, then throttle through it and out of it!
When you get a chance, post a picture of you and your bike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
An update for the ride I was asking questions about it went pretty great. I was actually pretty surprised at how well I did lol. Going up wasn't the problem it was going down of course however for my first time I think I did pretty well. I do need some more experience with trusting the lean on my bike a little bit more but I'm sure I can get the hang of it ? thank you guys for all the advice given

·
Registered
6 Posts
My safety issues...

Ride in the middle of the lane so as not to invite a 4-wheel vehicle to share your lane.

Watch out for loose leaves when driving in the mountains, especially when taking curves.

Believe that you are invisible to 4-wheel vehicles.

Never assume the other guy sees you.

Understand they're out to get you.

Delay for just a few seconds when entering an intersection when your light has turned green.

Always wear a helmet.

Know that even though you haven't gone down yet, you will.

·
27,442 Posts

Delay for just a few seconds when entering an intersection when your light has turned green.

And look both ways anyway. Assume nothing except you can expect the unexpected.:wink2:

·
Visionary
5,741 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania! My wife and daughter would approve of your choice of bike :)
The Scout makes a good starter bike, as long as you keep the RPMs down it's docile and gentle, they have plenty of horsepower but only if you wind up the engine to make power. Ride it gently and it won't give you any trouble at all.

Best advice I can give you for your curvy road ride is to don't overthink it, it's a just a road, so ride it like any other. Take it slow, ride at the speed limit or less, and most of all ride at your own pace and DO NOT try to keep up with anyone else, this is called 'riding your own ride' and it's probably the best advice to always keep in your mind when riding. Remember your basic riding class skills, ( You did take the class, I hope?) look through the curves to where you want to go, keep your eyes up, not looking down on the road. Slow down before the curves, accelerate gently on the way out of them. Stay on your side of the road at all times, don't stray over the center line on curves, and just relax and enjoy your ride. If it's a long stretch stop and take a break a few times, this way you can also take some time to look around at the scenery, while your riding you should be focused on the road, the other traffic, etc.
Have a good ride! EDIT..I see now that you already did the ride and it went well, GREAT!

Hello everyone I hope you're all doing well ? A little about me, I recently just purchased a 2017 Indian Scout sixty back in December of 2018 and I am in love. A little powerful for a starter bike but it is amazing. I am from Arizona and looking for any tips anyone has for new riders. It would be greatly appreciated for I am going on my first ride through multiple curves and sharp downhills this coming weekend. I have had multiple long rides in the past but the curves and downhills were not as severe.

Attachments

Reactions: Devil Doc
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.