Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently a student studying business management and marketing I live in a suburb Johnson County Ks. I enjoy active life yoga, and hiking. I just picked up a new hobby riding motorcycles so I started out small with a 2007 Suzuki gs500f.
I know you all probably here this often but I just purchased a 2007 Suzuki GS500f starts perfectly fine however the previous owner had no idea about basic bike maintenance. The bike had about 10k miles currently, what are some basic Prevenative maintenance work I can do without having to take it in to the shop? And also I am using this bike as reliable transportation so I can't afford for it to be down. As a new bike owner before I get excited to ride what are some of the first things I should do to ensure my bike is ready and reliable.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Well, let's look at the Specs (I will assume you have gone online and downloaded the Service Manual for this bike):

SPECS

Engine: 487cc, four-stroke, twin cylinder, air-cooled, DOHC
Bore Stroke: 74.0 x 56.6mm
Compression Ratio: 9.0:1
Fuel System: Mikuni BSR34SS
Lubrication: Wet Sump
Ignition: Digital/Transistorized
Transmission: 6-speed
Final Drive: #520 chain
Overall Length: 2080mm (81.9 in.)
Overall Width: 800mm (31.5 in.)
Overall Height: 1150mm (45.3 in.)
Seat Height: 790mm (31.1 in.)
Ground Clearance: 120mm (4.7 in.)
Wheelbase: 1405mm (55.3 in.)
Dry Weight: 180kg (396.8 lbs.)
Suspension Front: Telescopic, oil damped
Suspension Rear: Link type, 5-way adjustable preload
Brakes Front: Single hydraulic disc
Brakes Rear: Single hydraulic disc
Tires Front: 110/70-17
Tires Rear: 130/70-17
Fuel Tank Capacity: 20.0 liter (5.3 gal.) 19.0 liter (5.0 gal.) CA. Model

First off, your bike is "air cooled" so you won't have to worry about checking your coolant.

Second, your bike has a "chain" drive, so you'll have to monitor its tension (your Service Manual should give you that info, and perhaps your Owners Manual will as well) and adjust and lubricate according to the Manufacturers recommendations (also noting the condition of the chain and sprockets, and replacing if needed).

Third, locate the tire pressure requirements and monitor the tires for the proper pressure and tread wear.

Fourth, Always check all lights, horn, brakes, before a ride, (go thru a habitual checklist).

Fifth, using the proper tools, go around the bike and check all nuts-n-bolts periodically for any that have come loose, and tighten as needed.

6th, check your oil level, change your oil and filter according to the Manufacturers recommendations, and add as needed.

7th, Keep your Insurance and Registration up to date without fail.

Anyone care to add anything else?????? I'm sure I may have missed something.........

-Soupy

·
Roamer
176 Posts
Great list, Soupy. I would just add lubricate all the moving bits every few months. Like the levers, shifter, kickstand, etc.

You may also want to lubricate the clutch cable. My 2008 Nighthawk had a real hard clutch pull, and that eased it up quite a bit.

Oh, and congratulations on getting a bike!! :)

Sent from my SCH-I535PP using Tapatalk

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
And......

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hello from New Mexico. It might also be a good idea to flush your hydraulic brake systems and refill with new brake fluid, just use the type of fluid recommended by the manufacturer found in the service manual, or sometimes stamped into the brake fluid resevoir cap. Use caution and cover any painted surfaces or ABS plastic. Brake fluid will behave like paint remover on a painted surface, and causes severe damage to ABS plastic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys I've been busy all day studying for a big test I want to give a big thanks for all you guys for welcoming me into the group and adding all this great advice. However soupy the bike is used and didn't come with a owners manual so I googled one for my bike.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. You might want to try to find a manual for your bike. That will tell you what services are needed at what mileage. In the meantime the guys have given you some great advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a Suzuki GS500f got it a week ago I've changed the Sparks plugs, oil and oil filter. I've ridden my motorcycle on the highway and didn't have issues with speed or or shifting ever since I've had the bike. Today when I was riding on the highway the bike worked fine until I got to 6xth gear than it would bog and wouldn't go faster than 60 mph when a couples days prior it was in 6xth and doing 90 easily. Does anyone have an idea what the issue could be?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,300 Posts
I would check the plugs and plug wires. Also that you put the right type of oil in it

·
Registered
257 Posts
^^^^^This + run some good quality fuel system cleaner through it, something like seafoam or Techron. Also see how clean your air filter is.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
That bike is like new at only 8 years old and very low mileage. Soupy gave you a decent checklist but I would add to inspect your tires now and then. At that age they may be starting to show signs of age even if they are not worn out yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts