Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new here and could use some advice on an old scooter I got. My son and I hope to use it as a project. It's a 1982 C70 with 4400 miles on it. It hasn't been used in probably 20 years.

We plan to go through the carburetor, replace all the rubber hoses, flush out the fluids and rebuild the brakes. My question is, is there a need to rebuild the motor before we give it a go? There's no signs of oil leakage and it seems to turn over fine.

Any other advice?

Thanks!
Todd

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts

If it were my bike so I knew it's history I wouldn't. But you don't do you? I'd fill or squirt the spark plug holes with oil and slowly turn it over though. Then go from there. But if it sat that long you may have other problems like wiring chewed by rodents anyway. So it's really up to you. Realize you still may need to tear into it at some point. Shortcut's don't always pay off.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. What a neat little bike! Good luck no matter what you decide.

It would really depend on how and where it was stored. If it really looks good I would try Hog's suggestion. If it runs, great. As said, you can always go through the motor at a later date if needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts