Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member hoping to get some advice on a restoration.

My father-in-law passed away leaving me his 1963 Yamaha YG1T. The bike had not been run for over thirty years. He had always told me he wanted to get the bike running again, but unfortunately, he never got to it. When he passed, I told my wife, his daughter, that I would get the bike running again as a tribute to her father.

I have never owned or worked on a motorcycle before, so enlisted the help of a local shop to examine and rebuild, as necessary the engine. That work is now done, but the shop is now out of business, leaving me with a bike that I can start, but is far from complete. Tank and fuel lines, front brake and electricals are left in a box, together with a lot of extra hardware that I cannot identify. I have spent hours studying the Yamaha parts diagrams and trying to examine online photos of YG1s to see how things need to go back on the bike. I have made a lot of progress, but I am stumped in a few areas. Hoping to post a dozen or so specific questions and maybe someone with knowledge and experience with these old bikes can give me some help.

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,750 Posts
We have a lot here that can help. Just give as much detail as possible and be patient with replies. Many have jobs and still try to help here. In the mean time....

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. We have a lot of members that restore those older bikes. Check out some of their threads for ideas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the encouragement

Thanks to all for the welcome and encouragement. In response to TennesseeZ, we are in a rural area in the Sierra foothills of California, between the Gold Rush area of Auburn and Lake Tahoe. The town is Meadow Vista, about 1800 feet in elevation in the oak and pine trees. No snow yet this winter but it's supposed to be here Sunday.

Here are my first of several questions about my 1963 Yamaha YG1T:

What is the negative wire of the battery supposed to be connected to? I suppose I could connect it to any ground, but I am trying to keep it as stock from the factory as possible. Screws that attach the ignition switch to the frame or the coil to the frame seem to be possibilities.

How is the fuel line routed between the petcock and the carb? There is a grommeted opening in the top of the crankcase cover where the autolube line goes in. Seems like it would be a really tight fit and difficult to clamp to the carb, but that seems like the right entry point. Is the line from there to the petcock clamped anywhere or does the line snake through the openings in the bracket that supports the air cleaner?

I recognize pictures would help, but I haven't yet met the 15 post minimum.

Any and all help is much appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts