Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Shadow VT400 ACE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi from NZ!
Honda Shadow VT400 ACE. Been riding the Shadow for some time and about to jump ship from cruisers to something sporty. Commuting daily with the occasional open road adventure. Nice to be here! I will probably ask lots of ridiculous questions; sorry in advance. :)

·
Premium Member
10,051 Posts
Gidday gidday from my smallish island in the South Pacific! Auckland. Ta for the suggestion. Also looking at a Yamaha MT07 or KTM Duke. :)
Sweet.
I was in Blockhouse Bay for a while. Back when it was not so crowded. Played for Suburbs in Avondale. They moved out to Green Bay past the Titirangi golf course.
i walked over the Auckland Harbour Bridge on opening day.
The Yamaha and Duke are both nice bikes. Lots to chose from these days. They all handle well enough, and stop, and go. I am not cray about the modern electronic stuff, but the fuel injection, decent suspension and brakes are nice. Most of the old metal roads are paved the days. The road to Piha and Raglan, Muriawai and other places were all pretty rough.
The original road race track used to be in Mangere, but they dumped an airport where it used to be, and that new highway as well.

UK

·
Registered
Honda Shadow VT400 ACE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet.
I was in Blockhouse Bay for a while. Back when it was not so crowded. Played for Suburbs in Avondale. They moved out to Green Bay past the Titirangi golf course.
i walked over the Auckland Harbour Bridge on opening day.
The Yamaha and Duke are both nice bikes. Lots to chose from these days. They all handle well enough, and stop, and go. I am not cray about the modern electronic stuff, but the fuel injection, decent suspension and brakes are nice. Most of the old metal roads are paved the days. The road to Piha and Raglan, Muriawai and other places were all pretty rough.
The original road race track used to be in Mangere, but they dumped an airport where it used to be, and that new highway as well.

UK
Ah yes, the better parts of the west! Gosh yes it’s probably changed a fair bit since you were last here! Several tracks down south Auckland, now; Hampton Downs, Pukekohe. I have never tried that sort of surface myself, but who knows where the transition to sports bikes will take me (if I’m brave enough!). I’m just worried about seat height as I’m only 5’4” ( easy as on the Shadow) but I’m trying a MT07 tomorrow so will see if I’m not too short for it. :)

·
Premium Member
10,051 Posts
Good luck with the Yamaha. You certainly have ducks disease. Ask them if the bike can be lowered. I slid the forks up on at least two of my bikes. Some mono shocks can be shortened, and or replaced with a shorter shock. I have also removed about an inch of seat foam from two bikes. I am 5 foot 6.Before Pukekohe it was Ardmore. I have been to both of those, but a long time ago.

UK

·
Registered
Honda Shadow VT400 ACE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha! Ducks disease. I googled that and after ascertaining I did not in fact suffer from Riemerella anatipestifer, yes; I am not the tallest girl. Ardmore is an airport now. Maybe it still has a track; not sure. Ta muchly for the tips on reducing height. :)

·
Premium Member
10,051 Posts
Yes not the clinical version, but the urban dictionary version. The urban dictionary is often English and US derived, but does have some NZ and Ozz expressions. Many saying or words in NZ were picked up from the East Indians during the war. Gee gee for horse. Have a decko ( look ).
Ardmore was always an airport. As in England many race tracks were made by using the airport runway as the main straight. The earliest airport in Auckland was Whenuapai.
Float planes from overseas landed there. Kiwi Steve on this group is in Northcote, but quit riding his bike. Have not heard much from him lately.

Most of the new bikes are too heavy and too tall IMO. I suggest you check the weight, the height and the feel ( riding position ) of each bike. Those midsize bikes around 650cc are plenty fast enough.

UK

·
Registered
Honda Shadow VT400 ACE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you!
View attachment 61001

From the Mid-Atlantic coast
Yes not the clinical version, but the urban dictionary version. The urban dictionary is often English and US derived, but does have some NZ and Ozz expressions. Many saying or words in NZ were picked up from the East Indians during the war. Gee gee for horse. Have a decko ( look ).
Ardmore was always an airport. As in England many race tracks were made by using the airport runway as the main straight. The earliest airport in Auckland was Whenuapai.
Float planes from overseas landed there. Kiwi Steve on this group is in Northcote, but quit riding his bike. Have not heard much from him lately.

Most of the new bikes are too heavy and too tall IMO. I suggest you check the weight, the height and the feel ( riding position ) of each bike. Those midsize bikes around 650cc are plenty fast enough.

UK
Never heard of decko! Interesting re Ardmore. Last time I was there I had a flight in a DC3. Memorable. I tried the MT07 today (scared me silly for about 5 seconds; sitting so high) but after a while I loved it. Am also a bit taken with the Kawasaki EX400; 2020. It’s coming down to those two for me now that I’ve learned to get over the fact it’s not about the cc.

·
Premium Member
10,051 Posts
Just checked my Kiwi Yankee dictionary. Dekko is in there. I suppose some words get lost with the modern youth. When I was at Lynfield college, the teachers had rank. Colonel Thurston the head master, Captain Kelly the English teacher. Those guys are long gone, along with the expressions. The EX400 looks a lot like a modern version of my XS400 Yamaha. Should be a real nice bike.
It is not about cc. It is about how well you enjoy riding the bike, how well you ride the bike, and how safely you ride the bike. I ride my XS400 during the winter months. Then I ride bigger bikes for the warmer months.

UK

·
Registered
Honda Shadow VT400 ACE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just checked my Kiwi Yankee dictionary. Dekko is in there. I suppose some words get lost with the modern youth. When I was at Lynfield college, the teachers had rank. Colonel Thurston the head master, Captain Kelly the English teacher. Those guys are long gone, along with the expressions. The EX400 looks a lot like a modern version of my XS400 Yamaha. Should be a real nice bike.
It is not about cc. It is about how well you enjoy riding the bike, how well you ride the bike, and how safely you ride the bike. I ride my XS400 during the winter months. Then I ride bigger bikes for the warmer months.

UK
Cheers yeah I’ll probably go with the EX400. Quite tempted to give it a crack. Yep, clearly dekko usage died out before Gen X! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts